Help mounting a scope

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crossbownewb440

Help mounting a scope

Post by crossbownewb440 »

Hello all, I'm getting around to setting up my crossbow now.

In all the vids and tutorials I've found, they suggest to use a gun vise to mount my scope. I don't have one of these, what other methods can I employ to do this correctly? I have a level & a flat table. I almost had it flat and level with the table I was using, unfortunately I never knew Excalibur imprinted their company name on the bottom of the handle.. It doesn't remain level, the slightest touch will knock it out of balance.

Does anyone have any nifty methods of doing this that won't require me to go out and spend $40-$60 on additional materials?
wheelsquad

Re: Help mounting a scope

Post by wheelsquad »

Just put books or magazines under the ends of the limbs with it on the table to level it.
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360
houser52

Post by houser52 »

Before I got my gun vise I used a cardboard box and cut a "V" on either end of the box which forms a cradle for the fore end and butt stock. You can cut the Vs to custom fit each end. I mounted several scopes using it and it worked good.
Ibex
NRA Life Member
NC Lifetime Sportsman
Normous

Post by Normous »

Good answers above.
To add, degrease the manufacturing oils from your ring and base tap holes and all faster threads.
Machining oils contribute to creep and faster loosening when exposed to vibration, you don't want your scope coming loose.
Do it once and do it right.
Alcohol or acetone is ideal. You will be surprised how much gunk comes off.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Forkston

Post by Forkston »

KISS, THERE'S NOTHING COMPLICATED ABOUT WHAT YOU TRYING TO DO PUT THE SCOPE ON THE BASES AND RINGS AND EYEBALL IT FOR LEVEL AND TIGHTEN, IVE DONE THIS ON MY CROSSBOW AND ANY RIFLE I EVER OWNED WITH OUT ANY PROBLEM, I'M SURE IT WON'T BE LONG BEFORE SOMEONE HERE TELLS YOU HOW WRONG I AM AND DONT LISTEN TO ME THEN GO ON AND GIVE YOU A BIG LONG COMPLICATED EXPLANATION ON HOW TO PROPERLY MONT A SCOPE ON A CROSSBOW
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Forkston wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:41 am
KISS, THERE'S NOTHING COMPLICATED ABOUT WHAT YOU TRYING TO DO PUT THE SCOPE ON THE BASES AND RINGS AND EYEBALL IT FOR LEVEL AND TIGHTEN, IVE DONE THIS ON MY CROSSBOW AND ANY RIFLE I EVER OWNED WITH OUT ANY PROBLEM, I'M SURE IT WON'T BE LONG BEFORE SOMEONE HERE TELLS YOU HOW WRONG I AM AND DONT LISTEN TO ME THEN GO ON AND GIVE YOU A BIG LONG COMPLICATED EXPLANATION ON HOW TO PROPERLY MONT A SCOPE ON A CROSSBOW
This seems to work for me for nearly 50 years! If you really want to get technical you can tape a level on the rail, and line up your scope to a level plane like brickwork, siding, etc. :eusa-deadhorse:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
janesy

Post by janesy »

Take the stock off and let the rail sit flat on a level surface. It's much easier to level a surface than a bow.

Place a proven level across the rail, and then a proven square bubble on the elevation knob. Not the cap. For a cross bow, the cap is probably fine, but it's bad practice that will eventually fail you.

It's only two screws and it gives you a perfect opportunity to check your fasteners. This method seems longer, but by the time you monkey with any other solution, you'll have your stock off and back on again
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Normous wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:18 am
Good answers above.
To add, degrease the manufacturing oils from your ring and base tap holes and all faster threads.
Machining oils contribute to creep and faster loosening when exposed to vibration, you don't want your scope coming loose.
Do it once and do it right.
Alcohol or acetone is ideal. You will be surprised how much gunk comes off.
This man has mounted a few scopes!!! :lol: :lol:

Great advice Norm!! :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
bobcattrapper

Post by bobcattrapper »

I never use a level or vice.just a table.And have mounted many scopes over the years on rifles and a few crossbows. You can use a door edge or something simular to line up the reticle so it looks perfect and square when you hold like you normally do.won,t do no good to use a level if you cant one way or the other anyway.Going by what you wrote the rings probably are not properly machined true.When you turn the rings and the reticle looks level and you think you have it perfect then you tighten the final snug tightness one ring will go against the other.It’s putting pressure on one side and that last bit to snug up the rings to everything is tight you bring it up and the reticle moved.yes it’s frustrating. Some folks use inserts in the rings to compensate for it to even out. I don’t.I just buy better rings.When on the base also make sure both rings are set forward in the notches.And don’t just tighten one ring and then the other.tighten a little on each side go to the other ring and do the same as you want equal pressure all the way around each ring so one ring is not torqued tighter.on these crossbows unlike rifles I blue loc tite the rings.The vibration can loosen everything thing up in just a few shots.And like was stated use some rubbing alcohol to clean all the oils off the threads.hopes this helps you out.if you still have problems use different rings the Leupold rifleman series rings seem to be lots better quality then what Excalibur rings are.
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I use my caldwell rifle rest to mount the scope. I just eyeball it and blue loc tite all screws.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

I put mine in the fieldpod and get it settled level with a torpedo level or two on the rail and or riser. I look through the scope without touching the bow and I have a black line on the wall I use to level the crosshairs. It's always worked fine for me. Have also used the dining room table and some books with a couple cedar shingles for shims.
More than one way to skin a cat.
Take care
Hatchet
frisky

Post by frisky »

I tie a heavy string to the ceiling with weight on the end. I put the vertical cross hair on it to get my scope level. Works for me. :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
Forkston

Post by Forkston »

Riflemanz wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:44 pm
I use my caldwell rifle rest to mount the scope. I just eyeball it and blue loc tite all screws.
finally someone with common sense, no need to get crazy just putting a scope on a crossbow like someone suggested removing the stock,
janesy

Post by janesy »

Forkston wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:28 am
Riflemanz wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:44 pm
finally someone with common sense, no need to get crazy just putting a scope on a crossbow like someone suggested removing the stock,
2 screws. Completely crazy. The OP asked how to level their scope. Not how to Eyeball it, I'm nearly positive they figured that part out in their own . Eyeball all you like that's your prerogative, that's just simple not what they asked for.

It's really not that difficult to follow good scope mounting practices, which in turn promotes only accurate results. But you do you pal, if it works for you or anyone else knock yourself out.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

frisky wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:47 pm
I tie a heavy string to the ceiling with weight on the end. I put the vertical cross hair on it to get my scope level. Works for me. :D
The Windows and doors in your house “ should “ be plumb. ….. might check ‘em tho. I just use that for the vertices part.