HOW MANY STANDS DO YOU HUNT DURING THE RUT

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

CT.HNTR

HOW MANY STANDS DO YOU HUNT DURING THE RUT

Post by CT.HNTR »

So I have a debate going with a few of my hunting friends over how many stands someone should hunt during the rut. My feeling is that if you have a good stand in an excellent location you should hunt it every day during the first week of November as if you stay in that one stand long enough a decent buck will come by and you will get a shot.

My buddies feel you need 3-5 stands to hunt so you can keep rotating and hunt a different stand each day. They feel hunting a different stand each day increases your odds as you never overhunt your spot. My feeling is that if you only hunt a stand once or twice during the rut your odds are decreased.

I am curious what others think about this. Do you hunt a single stand or mix it up every day?

Opinions please!
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
18 Inch Zombies with 110 Grain Brass Inserts
125 Grain Slick tricks
2 Inch Blazer Vanes with Right Helical
Normous

Re: HOW MANY STANDS DO YOU HUNT DURING THE RUT

Post by Normous »

My preference is having different stand locations available to suit different wind directions and access points available according to wind direction.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
janesy

Post by janesy »

Normous wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:28 pm
My preference is having different stand locations available to suit different wind directions and access points available according to wind direction.
This and a climber
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

janesy wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:35 pm
Normous wrote:
This and a climber
Yep. I have had the best luck hunting a stand the first time in it!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Normous wrote:
Absolutely!!!
It's ALWAYS a good idea to have multiple stands on the same hunting location. I have several places I hunt. (Private Land). None over 50 acres. I have at least 4 stands on each of those properties.
Travel corridors are essentail, not only for you, but for the deer also. Be adaptable!! :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
CT.HNTR

Post by CT.HNTR »

Well I guess I will be hanging a few more stands next weekend. :thumbup:

Thanks for the advice everybody!
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
18 Inch Zombies with 110 Grain Brass Inserts
125 Grain Slick tricks
2 Inch Blazer Vanes with Right Helical
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Between my brother and l we have about 15 permanent stands to choose from and with the ghosblind and climber it's limitless.
Regardless if you had 100 stands you must hunt in the one that your gut tells you.
If your seeing a trophy buck in an area it's a no Brainer .lm lucky to know my area well and after almost 30 years on the property l have whittled down the productive rut areas and it's a huge advantage.
Early season l simply rotate stands. I have a stand in a construction area that l can't hunt during a weekday so it's a Saturday stand and a very good one too.There are many reasons to rotate but when the deer are rutting l have been known to "camp" in only one if a big one has been sighted.
I spent 2 weeks hunting one of my biggest bucks a 14 pointer.
After 2 weeks of no see em.l moved to a stand more than a mile away ...l killed my big buck from the other stand after a 20 minute sit...so sometimes thinking and planning dosnt work just being in the woods does.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

We have several spots where we have 2 stands within a hundred yrds of each other.

Not so much wind direction. As it is deer movement.
With the area having had a selective cut of the heavy timber. Which greatly opened up a lot of areas. . It's mainly which patch of the thicker timber left that they are bedding in .

Nice to know if after a few sets of patterning the deer movement. We can change spots.

2 stands on east side , 2 stands in middle and 2 stands on Westside of the hunting property.

So far I've sat 4 . . Usually a morning at one spot and then a night in a different stand.

With 2 sometimes 3 hunters, its nice to have options

Actual stands 2 permanent 2 tripod 3- 2man ladder 1 single ladder, a ghost and popup blind.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I usually only have 2, i have 2 climbers. I have either watched the deer move enough to know the trail or my one trail cam has.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I spend 80% of my time in one stand. It's a high hang on so wind direction doesn't seem to impact it. It's surrounded by food (when we have acorns) and is in a travel corridor. The year before last, five bucks were taken out of it during the rut by 3 different hunters.

I've taken 3 of 4 deer out of it this season.

But I do have two other ladder stands that I use occasionally if the wind and deer movement make them attractive.

So your initial thought makes sense to me. But it needs to be a stand in a prime location. A stand location that's in a perfect location is bound to be productive eventually.

But my biggest archery buck, by points, was from a new spot I hadn't been ten minutes. So there's that.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol: