Packing the Exomax

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ko4nrbs

Packing the Exomax

Post by ko4nrbs »

Never got around to buying another crossbow for still hunting. My move last year to Alabama and health problems interfered big time. Well Archery season sneaked up on me and I was either hunting with my Exomax or no hunt at all. No time to research crossbows and get set up due to several different trips to visit my daughters.

Oh well, went out yesterday and hunted in the Sipsey Wilderness in the Bankhead National Forest/Black Warrior WMA. Carrying the wide and heavy Exomax turned out not to be a problem at all due to how well it is balanced. I covered a lot of ground looking for hogs and didn't find the Exomax a determent at all. Granted a lighter more narrow crossbow would be ideal but I am so comfortable with my Exomax I am finding it very difficult to change it out with another crossbow. It is my friend after all!! After it sat in the closet for a year it is still dead on.

A big shout out to the Alabama hunters I visited with yesterday!! Was the most welcoming and helpful hunters I have ever met. A few were even using Excalibur crossbows.

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
Timbrhuntr

Re: Packing the Exomax

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I have had an exomax for 25 years but recently got a new 335 . I have to say that I don't find the 335 any lighter just more compact. I still find myself carrying the exo its easier to draw and that thing is super accurate and has killed just about everything from turkeys to moose !!
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

Timbrhuntr wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:02 pm
I have had an exomax for 25 years but recently got a new 335 . I have to say that I don't find the 335 any lighter just more compact. I still find myself carrying the exo its easier to draw and that thing is super accurate and has killed just about everything from turkeys to moose !!
To me it's biggest advantage is it's reliability. No need to worry about limbs with the Exomax. I do have an extra set of limbs growing old in the closet. I have enough to worry about so not having to deal with crossbow problems is a big plus.

Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Bill, thanks for your service Sir! I find the long limb models absolutely bulletproof. Glad to hear you got out & met some new friends! :thumbup: :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Limb width was never a problem until narrower ones came out. Go figure :mrgreen:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
gab

Post by gab »

I bought my exomax in 2011 and find it meets all my hunting needs. I am not a big buy (150 pounds) and have never found it too heavy or awkward to carry.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Bill glad to hear from you.
I'm really gonna miss your river bound deer excursions them trips really intrigued and impressed me.l hope you find happy hunting in your new area new hunting areas can be exciting too. Have a great season joe z.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

longbow joe wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:05 pm
Bill glad to hear from you.
I'm really gonna miss your river bound deer excursions them trips really intrigued and impressed me.l hope you find happy hunting in your new area new hunting areas can be exciting too. Have a great season joe z.
Found a new spot on the Tennessee River. It's TVA Undeveloped land and is open for hunting. Will explore it and set out a few cameras. I'll update when I figure it out.

Nice to hear from you to!!

Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

Sad to say but my exomax only gets out once a yr. Its during the HAM javelina season here in AZ.

Sorry to say here in AZ, I doubt there will be a separate crossbow season anytime in the near future.
new xbow hunter

Post by new xbow hunter »

Now that you are hunting into Alabama there are several good WMA’s to hunt. I spend a good amount of time in the Choccolocco WMA near Heflin.
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

new xbow hunter wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:45 pm
Now that you are hunting into Alabama there are several good WMA’s to hunt. I spend a good amount of time in the Choccolocco WMA near Heflin.
Yes there are many hunting opportunities here in Alabama. I am trying to stay close to home so the Black Warrior WMA is my best bet. It will take me a couple of years of boots on the ground to figure it out.

Unfortunately many of the TVA Undeveloped hunting areas here are in low lying areas prone to flooding. Can’t really commit to an area that will be flooded frequently. The Corps of Engineer land I hunted in Oklahoma was all on high ground.

Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
sipsey

Post by sipsey »

I haven’t snuck back to the forum in quite a while. The Exomax is the only crossbow I’ve ever owned. Rumor has it that there is some fine hunting in your vicinity. I’ve seen pictures of good deer from near there.I hunt Forever Wild land along the “Other” Sipsey southwest of you.

That high water can really mess with where the deer stay, but the bigger bucks love the bottom lands. Good luck.
Exomax
Lumizone
Boo Trigger
Firebolts
125 Stricnines
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

sipsey wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:22 pm
I haven’t snuck back to the forum in quite a while. The Exomax is the only crossbow I’ve ever owned. Rumor has it that there is some fine hunting in your vicinity. I’ve seen pictures of good deer from near there.I hunt Forever Wild land along the “Other” Sipsey southwest of you.

That high water can really mess with where the deer stay, but the bigger bucks love the bottom lands. Good luck.
Checked out a spot along the river today. It’s TVA Undeveloped land but the water is too shallow for my boat, Can’t wade in mud up to my knees to get ashore. A flat bottom boat would be better but when a large boat or barge passes the wake pushes you up on the mud. Very difficult to get back out in the deeper water.

Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks