Small splinter on limb

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boonechaser

Small splinter on limb

Post by Boonechaser »

When I broke out my bow this year, as I grabbed the limb assembly to pull it from the case. I felt something poke the crap outta me, like getting a splinter. After further investigation, I found a small splinter in the limb. I did call Excalibur and they said to just break it off and sand where it met the limb, lightly and that I should be fine until my replacement limbs, arrive. I realize it’s a very small spot but these limbs are under a great amount of pressure, especially when cocked.
Guess I’m just looking for assurance that I should be able to use my bow until replacements arrive. It’s my only bow at the moment and don’t want to give my season up.
Can’t seem to figure out how to post a pic but here’s a link…

https://imgur.com/a/93xDf2A
Normous

Re: Small splinter on limb

Post by Normous »

Your GTG.
Some here have shot limbs with a little sliver removed for many years without issue. I know I have.

With 275,000 individual strands of fiberglass used to manufacture a Excal limb and little sliver removed is insignificant.

Add a little dab of Super Glue where you cut the sliver off so you don't jab yourself again.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Boonechaser

Post by Boonechaser »

Thanks! The rep from Excalibur actually told me to file or sand it lightly. I got to say I was impressed with the customer service. I’ve owned and used an Excal for about 15yrs and first time I’ve had to call customer service and they just said to submit a claim with a pic and they’d have a new set of limbs coming my way.
Boonechaser

Post by Boonechaser »

Also, kinda wondering if my brace height could have added to the issue. Excal’s specs say that it should be 1 - 1.5”. If I set my string 3/16 of the bumpers my brace height is 1.75 - 1.875”

I switched over to the Db Killer bumpers and the string is barely touching them and the brace height is still the same. Is this .25 - .375 enough to keep the limbs under too much pressure? I do leave it strung, year round.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Your Excal will shoot a smidge faster with ideal or slightly higher brace height due to increased limb preload. Of course this will require periodic adjustments when required.
Your GTG like that year round.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Boonechaser

Post by Boonechaser »

Normous

That’s for the replies! Much appreciated…