Best Hog Shot

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ko4nrbs

Best Hog Shot

Post by ko4nrbs »

I have killed several hogs with firearms but not with my crossbow. For those of you that have killed hogs with a crossbow what is the best spot to aim for?
Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
nchunterkw

Re: Best Hog Shot

Post by nchunterkw »

IMO Number 1 is to shoot a heavy arrow and a good tough fixed blade. With my micro I try to get above 500gr. Males have a big shield that can be 3/4" thick that covers a lot of the vitals. Tight to the shoulder and a bit lower than on a deer should do it. Quartering away is helpful. You definitely want to be able to punch through that shield if you have to. Check Youtube...Ranch Fairy has a few videos on hog shot placement with a bow
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

nchunterkw wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:16 am
IMO Number 1 is to shoot a heavy arrow and a good tough fixed blade. With my micro I try to get above 500gr. Males have a big shield that can be 3/4" thick that covers a lot of the vitals. Tight to the shoulder and a bit lower than on a deer should do it. Quartering away is helpful. You definitely want to be able to punch through that shield if you have to. Check Youtube...Ranch Fairy has a few videos on hog shot placement with a bow
Thank you!!

I knew about the shield and was wondering either how to avoid it or shoot through it.

Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Morning Bill...

Keith is right, heavier is better!! Also don't even think about using a mechanical. Fixed is the answer!! The vitals on a hog are not as large as on a deer and they are located lower and more forward in the chest cavity, protected by "the shield" which is a gristle tissue.
You want ot get as close as possible to the front leg, but not in this gristle plate.

On the hog in the picture below, you'd come straight up from the back of the knee about 4 inches, and send it home!! :thumbup:

And yes...I shoot mechanicals all the time, except on Hogs. They get a strong, heavy fixed blade like the Excalibur Boltcutters in 150g. (which is my personal choice).

I wish you success in your Hog hunts. We shoot them all the time down here where I live. They are like fleas on a mangy dog!! :eusa-doh:
Also be prepared to track the Hog, unless you hit the spine. Most of the time they will RUN, but not too far!!! :lol:

Good Luck
AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I have used both fixed n Mech. to kill wild hogs. I still like a double lung shot, they don't go far. I have had them DRT n 18 yds longest was 37 yds
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

The biggest hog I shot was in FL. He was cominh in along a fence line, saw me and came right at me. At about 15ft I put a Slick Trick Magnum right between his eyes. It went through the front of his skull and lodged in the back of his skull. Made for a cool skull mount. 1/4" of arrow is sticking out and the 4 cuts of the BH are clearly visible. Got the heart pumping a bit! Glad I didn't have a mech head on.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

Thanks everyone!! Your experiences give me the confidence that I can get the job done.

I've killed some at about 15 feet before but that was with a shotgun and #2 shot. All head shots. It was Turkey season so I had to use my 12 gauge. With a crossbow that would be very exciting and in my case may require me to pack extra underwear in my backpack!!

Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

We shoot a couple dozen a year, our property is full of them. Excalibur or vertical bow, I put a sonic broad head in line with the back of the front leg and 1/3 to 1/2 into the body, depending on elevation I am at.
tremps01

Post by tremps01 »

congrat! Hapy birthday.
Marcel
Micro suppressor 355
Boo string force 10.
Drstirrup complete kit.
Marcel