Need a new Headlamp - Recommendations?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

Re: Need a new Headlamp - Recommendations?

Post by nchunterkw »

Normous wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:10 pm
Keith,
I have a confession to make .
I have some sort of flashlight addiction and I just pulled the trigger on not one but two
FENIX HM65R-T headlamps. T is for Trailrunning.

You are a bad influence :mrgreen:
Hehehehehehe
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

I have liked my Fenix headlamp so much, worn it so much at work with 100% reliability, that I bought a second to have at home.....a third to put in my fanny pack hunting, and have given one to each son in law. I keep an extra headband so I can wash the one I work in and still be in business with the light. I am on my third set of headbands. You can just wash them so many times before they wear and stretch out. Dont think you will be sorry about your purchase. A late forum member told me when I was getting into them, get several 18650 batteries and keep an extra charged...."Guiltless Lumens". :D

They also make an adapter to mount on your hard hat. It works great on my bicycle helmet. One light on bicycle and one on my helmet ( the one on my helmet, looks where I do, not where bike is pointed)
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

amythntr wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:29 am
F E N I X.....Keith, check out their website.....amazing products.....you will never go back!
Yep.
More than happy with my Fenix HL60R. Have a hand-held that uses the same 18650 Battery, three spare batteries and a charger for the truck & wall.

Of course there are the three Energizer versions scattered around the house and truck as well as a couple versions from Coast.
Not getting into the rest of the arsenal of hand-helds... :lol:

The Fenix is my Go-To. Excellent product. :thumbup:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
CT.HNTR

Post by CT.HNTR »

The Fenix HM65R looks like an excellent choice. The battery life is outstanding. I may have to get one of these for myself :thumbup:
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
18 Inch Zombies with 110 Grain Brass Inserts
125 Grain Slick tricks
2 Inch Blazer Vanes with Right Helical
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I got the HM65R the other day.....2 days ahead of schedule....and I must say I really like it. It is very bright in spotlight mode, and the floodlight mode makes it much easier to walk out of the woods as it casts a wider beam that is not so bright. It's also small and lightweight. I highly recommend.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

FENIX customer service is awesome. My Fenix HL18R headlamp is on the fritz. Email sent to them yesterday (SUNDAY). They replied immediately and sent me an RMA#. I didn't expect that. They will fix or replace ,it.

Can't beat that! :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Normous

Post by Normous »

nchunterkw wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:44 pm
I got the HM65R the other day.....2 days ahead of schedule....and I must say I really like it. It is very bright in spotlight mode, and the floodlight mode makes it much easier to walk out of the woods as it casts a wider beam that is not so bright. It's also small and lightweight. I highly recommend.
Remember to go through one or two discharge cycles for best long life battery performance.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Boo

Post by Boo »

I know you guys will think I'm losing it but I am going backwards for lights. I've gravitated to a little green key chain light which gives me enough light to walk in or out in the dark and do what I have to do in my blind. I carry fancy bright LEDs for searching but I really don't find I need anything brighter.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

https://www.litesmith.com/nitecore-nu25-triple-output-usb-rechargeable-headlamp/ red mode and super lightweight...
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Boo wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:49 pm
I know you guys will think I'm losing it but I am going backwards for lights. I've gravitated to a little green key chain light which gives me enough light to walk in or out in the dark and do what I have to do in my blind. I carry fancy bright LEDs for searching but I really don't find I need anything brighter.
You are right. You loosing it!😂😂😂
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Normous wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:04 pm
nchunterkw wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:44 pm
Remember to go through one or two discharge cycles for best long life battery performance.
Ordered a second battery and a charger. SO i'll do exactly what you say. Just run it down and put in the 2nd one and do the same.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
Boo

Post by Boo »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:35 am

You are right. You loosing it!😂😂😂
:lol: :lol: :lol: The one thing that stuck in my head from being in hunt club with hardcore, crazy serious deer hunters was "do not give away your location". I think that the brighter you light, the more deer you will spook from farther away. Using as dim a light as you can get away with and holding it low makes a difference. I have an S1R Baton II and use the moonlight function clipped on my baseball cap but found those cheap little lights are perfect. So as much as I may be losing it :roll: I think strategy is better than using a bright light let alone a bright light attached to my head.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

When I hunted public land 90% of the time there were these yahoo’s that would wait until you didn’t need a light to walk into the woods. I wanted to kick them in the pants. Anyway, I went to using a climber to avoid hunting one spot or three, I would seek out nasty places to hunt right after the season ended for the following year. My mission was to avoid others, and to clear a usable path to these areas without making them visible to everyone. That made it very easy to get in with a small light that was not very bright. As Boo said, pointing it right in front of you maybe a few yards out is all you need unless you’re running! I usually use the red lights on my cheap Energizer light and push pins with glow tape around eye level.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Normous

Post by Normous »

I have to confess that hands free lightweight headlamps , especially those featuring a soft flood illumination for lightly illuminating the way in and a stronger adjustable spot function for tracking and gutting, both which together, have a prized spot in my light collection thus far.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Normous wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:42 pm
I have to confess that hands free lightweight headlamps , especially those featuring a soft flood illumination for lightly illuminating the way in and a stronger adjustable spot function for tracking and gutting, both which together, have a prized spot in my light collection thus far.
Yes! I am very pleased with this light. The flood can be turned on to 3 levels and the lowest is very dim, but perfect for walking in in the morning. I almost always hunt in the evening though so I don't bump too many deer walking out as I generally know if they are there or not before I pack up.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><