TRIGGER TECH or ACP

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Re: TRIGGER TECH or ACP

Post by Boo »

A couple of things worthy of note on these 2 trigger units. I've owned a few of each one and have helped with both.

TT. It does have a reset problem which is a pain and can be an issue when you have to reload in a hurry.
Historically latch/serving wear can be really bad but I don't hear reports of that much anymore. The latches are poured casting method that is subject to air voids that cause serving wear. In fact there were some that broke off at the top of the latch where the latch fingers meet the latch.
The internal dimensions limit the latch dimensions and geometry. So as the poundage goes up the serving wear gets bad but not crazy.
The TT uses a mold/die pin that gets rolled between 2 flat non-lubricated surfaces so it is subject to wear and change of trigger feel as your shot count grows.
Lightness of the trigger pull goes to TT. It is much better.

ACP. My 400 Suppressor, 360 and 440 all stung my finger with just about every shot. I closed the latch and watched it as I pulled the trigger and you can see the latch move a tad as the trigger broke. Being such little travel, I thought the trigger lever movement when your finger gets smacked was really short but quick. I was thinking about a trigger shoe but I tried putting on some double sided tape about 1/16" thick over the trigger and left the "no stick" tape on where your finger goes on. After quite about 60 shots at the bench with a 400 Suppressor that sting is gone. The double sided tape is a medium density so it absolutely does not interfere with trigger feel and reach.
The latches are wider and the geometry is much better than the TT for wear. If memory serves, I think the contact surface is 125% wider than the TT.
The parts are MIM'd so the finish is better as well as lacking air voids that cause serving wear and parts breaking.
The ACP trigger uses a roller bearing over a hardened lubricated surface so there is no long term wear issues or changes to how it feels.
The ACP trigger gets heavier as the poundage goes up. My 400 Suppressor is somewhere between 4.5 to 5 lbs. I have zero issues on targets or animals with it because it is ultra smooth on the take up.

Triggers are purely subjective. I know both triggers intimately and will take the ACP over the TT any day of the week. However, if I proclaimed myself to be a fancy target shooter I would go for the TT. Wear is much better with the ACP trigger. In the lighter poundage bows, I don't see that heavy trigger pull like it is in my 400. Again, if trigger pull precision is the most important characteristic in a high poundage bow and serving wear isn't important, go for the TT. For me the ACP trigger is by far the over all winner.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
JUSTANUFF

Re: TRIGGER TECH or ACP

Post by JUSTANUFF »

Thank you Don for your expert insight on these triggers. I appreciate it very much as I am sure others do as well . Anticipating that the TT will take care of my concern and eliminate the "stinging" sensation will make me a happy Excal camper! :eusa-dance:
Stay tuned for the outcome!
Cub *TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Cub-Pow)
308 Short Banshee* TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Shorty)
Magnus Buzz Cuts * Mad Hornets
Gold Tip Laser II's 16.5 386grn
BE Executioners 16.5 405grn
Miller Top Quiver Mounts
Boo string