Last sit of my archery season => Buck Down!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

Last sit of my archery season => Buck Down!

Post by DuckHunt »

Despite hunting with my crossbow during the September doe gun season, this last sit of my archery season came quickly. It's been a good season for venison, antlers not so much.

All of my target bucks have vanished since August. I had two 8pts in bow range a week early for them, but only one on camera once in October.

Oh well. This brief break in the rain will let me steal one more sit. Maybe a doe or shooter buck will slip by for the first time in 3 weeks. That's why they call it hunting.
Last edited by DuckHunt on Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
vixenmaster

Re: Last sit of my archery season

Post by vixenmaster »

Hope the best for you. I have really just started my hunting, Have passed on 3 small Bucks, have not had a nanny come close enough to shoot
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

Last archery season sit for me too. Went 20+ days without seeing anything. Saw 2 skippers a week ago. Last night saw a half dozen deer crossing the field. Couldn't move. Everytime I tried I had a dozen eyes on me. Hard frost last night. I'm back in the field closer to where they crossed yesterday. 1hr to go. I'm ready. Good luck to all
Hatchet
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

Good luck!
DuckHunt

Re: Last sit of my archery season => Buck Down!

Post by DuckHunt »

And that's why they call it hunting. I haven't seen a true shooter all buck season and haven't had one larger than a 4-point on camera in two weeks. But the brief break'ish in the rain had me wanting to get in one more sit. I mounted my Tactacam on my CVA a couple days ago thinking I wouldn't get back out with my crossbow so I didn't have it today. That's unfortunate, because I missed the opportunity to record what will be my goal in 2022. I want to get a squirrel kill on camera. Preferably picked off the side of a tree and sent flying. :lol: I shot at one about 4:40pm, but only nicked him.

About 20 minutes later, a squirrel started barking out the direction that victim had headed. After a few minutes of the racket I caught movement in the thicket about 30 yards away. At first I thought it was the squirrel, but then I noticed the limbs moving. It was a buck raking his antlers against a group of saplings. I pulled up my rangefinder to try to scope him out. He wasn't wide, but I could see decent length G2s and G3s so I was all in. He eventually stepped through the saplings coming to about 20 yards before making a right turn and heading parallel to me straight downhill toward the ravine. I was trying to get a good range for him, but between him walking and the trees in the way I came to the conclusion he would walk off before I found a clear spot to range him. Since I've been in this stand a hundred times, I had an idea that he was close to 30 yards. By that time he was quartering away heading downhill so I let out a bleat to stop him, then put the 30y circle high and back since I'm 24 feet up. He briefly slowed and I touched off the shot. The lumenok lit the way to a perfect landing.

He took off downhill, but slowed very quickly stopping less than 50 yards away. He swayed a couple times and fell over right there. From the shot to him being down couldn't have been five seconds. You have to love it when they fall in sight.
When I got to him, I found that he was a 7-point with no brow tines.
You can see from the photo above the entrance that is high and back. Below in the lower left you can see the Truglo Titanium-X just starting to stick out of the opposite shoulder.
When I gutted him I was able to retrieve my arrow, though it was broken about 5 inches back from the broadhead. I'm guessing that was due to the shoulder movement once the arrow passed through it.
Once he was field dressed, then the real work began. I had to drag him uphill about 75 yards just to get to level ground before normal dragging could begin. But, that's all part of the fun.
This one was donated to the Virginia Hunters for the Hungry program. This is the first kill for the front half of my 400TD. It's mounted to the back half of my 340TD giving me speeds in the upper 360s or around 345fps with a 410 grain arrow. It's stiff to rope cock, but boy will it zip.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

Nice buck :thumbup:
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Nice going, nice buck
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Congratulations
Got to love it when a plan comes together . :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Very nice buck congratulations on the harvest !
That is a lot of penetration.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats on a nice buck
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Very nice buck, congrats!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

Way to go! Also love that you got him with "The Grunt".
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

Nice work! It's nice when you don't have much of a tracking job! Leaves more time for draggin!
I saw a few at the bottom of the field I was hunting but they were content to stay there until dark. Going to let that place cool off for a day or to and bring my wife over there next week for some gun hunting. I'll continue to hunt the orchards with the crossbow and hope to get lucky.
Take care
Hatchet
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats on your fine tick toter
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Congrats! Great buck! Nice pics! :thumbup:
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut