Hunting small game

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crossbownewb440

Hunting small game

Post by crossbownewb440 »

Good day crossbow enthusiasts! I come bearing a question.

I would like to hunt grouse, or 'prairie chickens' as they're commonly called. I'd like to use these blunt tips https://www.3riversarchery.com/the-hammer-screw-in-small-game-blunts.html they're sold in 125 grains all the way to 200 grains.

My question is, do I want to go with a lighter grain or a heavier grain? My research has led me to believe that because these things kill by way of 'shock' maybe heavier grain is preferred? Please pardon my ignorance, I really don't know. I'd prefer the 200 grain tip. Some forum users on other websites have indicated that they have shot grouse with blunt tips and the bolt bounces off of the game and the bird flies away. I do not know why this is.

So what actually provides the shock that kills? Is it the weight of the head or the speed at which the thing impacts the game?

PS: do you have any other suggestions for a blunt tip that excels at killing small game for crossbow hunting?
Normous

Re: Hunting small game

Post by Normous »

Tender grouse are good with garlic and butter. :mrgreen:

Zwickey Judo points in 100 or 125 might prevent an arrow loss if you value your arrows.

I have been using Zwickeys on small game for over 40 years and recommend them.

One of our younger and talented forum members from Texas suggested drilling a penny on center and placing it between your field point and insert. :wave: :thumbup:

It is the best value for your buck!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family