Spot Dried Up

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ko4nrbs

Spot Dried Up

Post by ko4nrbs »

Well moving on the Refuge to hunt. The spot I found is flat and easy to get to but doesn't seem to be hunted. Will finish scouting it tomorrow.

The spot in the Wilderness area has dried up. No fresh sign anywhere and the last pic of a deer was on the 21st. Nothing since. My other camera in the area had no deer pics.
https://flic.kr/p/2mNePvL

I think this area is an early season spot and will plan my scouting trips in order to find out for sure. Will set cameras up in September to see when they enter the area.

This Wilderness area is some of the roughest country I have ever hunted including Wyoming. I don't have the stamina or physical strength to search all the creek bottoms, valleys and slopes like I need to. There are some monster bucks in there, but I would have to build a fire and eat it where it fell.
No way I could drag it up those hills even with my Jet Sled.

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
DuckHunt

Re: Spot Dried Up

Post by DuckHunt »

ko4nrbs wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:36 pm
I think this area is an early season spot and will plan my scouting trips in order to find out for sure. Will set cameras up in September to see when they enter the area.
This spot sounds exactly like my primary hunting area. I normally have a handful of decent bucks around and generally have a few deer as long as we have leaves on the trees. Once the leaves fall, it becomes a ghost town. I can go days, if not weeks, between getting a deer on one of multiple cameras. The only photos my cameras have taken in the last week are of me walking past them.

It's early season or bust for me.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Scout it after the season ends. Cooler t weather, no bugs!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

xcaliber wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:54 pm
Going to do it in the Spring when I get back from Florida.

Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

ko4nrbs wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:56 pm
xcaliber wrote:

Bill
Enjoy your trip to FLA. Which part you like?
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

xcaliber wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:14 pm
ko4nrbs wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:56 pm
xcaliber wrote:

Bill
Enjoy your trip to FLA. Which part you like?
We stay a couple of months in the Brevard County Campground in Melbourne. My youngest daughter and her family just moved to Oviedo, Fl. near Orlando so we will be spending a lot of time with them.
Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Patcon

Post by Patcon »

It's interesting that other hunters have issues later in the season. I rarely do good in December. I still have deer on camera but at crazy times like 2AM or 11PM. I had always thought this was do to hunting pressure in my area in general but I have heard very little shooting this year, Maybe it's directly attributable to the leaves coming down? Added light to the forest floor so they move when it's darker or they don't like the added noise of the leaves so they move when they have the advantage of darkness?
Legal hunting is 1 hour before official sunrise and 1 hour after sunset. I got trapped in the stand last night when a group of does came out at 5:59 PM. I could see them in the binoculars but when you try to transfer to the scope you can see anything because of the mono vision, I believe my target buck crossed the creek following them at 6:20PM but he may have bolted a little while later. You could tell the difference in weight in the leaves. I would like a little more meat in the freezer but if I don't score soon, I will call it a season. Too many other things need attention for me to be in the woods and not see deer
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Patcon wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:43 am
It's interesting that other hunters have issues later in the season. I rarely do good in December. I still have deer on camera but at crazy times like 2AM or 11PM. I had always thought this was do to hunting pressure in my area in general but I have heard very little shooting this year, Maybe it's directly attributable to the leaves coming down? Added light to the forest floor so they move when it's darker or they don't like the added noise of the leaves so they move when they have the advantage of darkness?
Legal hunting is 1 hour before official sunrise and 1 hour after sunset. I got trapped in the stand last night when a group of does came out at 5:59 PM. I could see them in the binoculars but when you try to transfer to the scope you can see anything because of the mono vision, I believe my target buck crossed the creek following them at 6:20PM but he may have bolted a little while later. You could tell the difference in weight in the leaves. I would like a little more meat in the freezer but if I don't score soon, I will call it a season. Too many other things need attention for me to be in the woods and not see deer
I have been deer hunting for 30+ years now.
Never killed a deer in December! I'm usually tagged out or if not the deer in my hunting spot move on. Also it's cold as he'll or windy and raining when I have time to hunt....argg!

Didn't get one with my bow this season and it's not looking good at this point!! Lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

I will just have to keep scouting until I find where the deer hang out depending on whether it's October, November, or December. These areas are all new to me, so I have a lot of work to do. The Rut's peak in my area is in late January according to the Alabama rut map.

Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks