O/T rifle scope for aging eyes

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Ankh

O/T rifle scope for aging eyes

Post by Ankh »

Any suggestions for rifle scope for someone who never wore glasses but is now on a second level of readers. I really noticed this year with 2 of my rifles that the old 3x9x30 isn't gathering enough light for my liking.

This would be used on a 308 win. For whitetail and maybe black bear. Most shots well within 100 yards, 200 yards would be maximum the terrain I hunt would allow. Thanks in advance.
Micro 335 nightmare, Axiom
Swhacker 150 grain, zombie slayers
Wants: micro ultra lite, adj. stock, take down, good trigger, good scope , low 300 speed to keep "cockable" w/out crank
Deaf jeff

Re: O/T rifle scope for aging eyes

Post by Deaf jeff »

i went to a leupold vxr 3x10x50, a bit pricy but by far the best scope i have ever had for my vision issues. its on a 308 as well
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Great choice!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Exit at pupil from the scope of 7mm or more is what you want along with glass quality and light management. With age our lenses cloud and macular degeneration takes its toll by robbing us of or low light or night vision and maximum pupil size. I am at the point where I need to spend over $1,000 for a scope if I want to hunt until the last legal light. I have also found that an HHA allows me to put a scope at a magnification that suits the lighting conditions rather than accommodating arrow drop. It’s either that or stop hunting 15 to 30 minutes early. A VXR on an HHA is there it starts if I want to hunt until the last legal light.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

LEUPOLD VXR or Vortex viper.

For my older eyes I can't use scopes with cheap glass.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.