Gut Shot

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

rescue

Gut Shot

Post by rescue »

Last night I shot a big doe. I hit it right behind the shoulder on a cornering away shot. After following the blood trail last night 2 hrs later I came to a spot where I couldn't see any more blood and did not want to take a chance in jumping her from her bed. I decided to wait until this morning . i found her about 50 yards away. The arrow had gone into her lung and went down into her stomach somehaow and out behind her rear leg. The smell when I found her at 9am was god awful. I dressed her there and took her home where i washed her out and wiped her clean inside with a paper towel. She's hanging in my garage now but I'm wondering is the meat going to be ok. The temp last night was around 5 degrees.
shifty

Post by shifty »

Your meat will be just fine . A deer shot in the guts is going to smell bad, but you did the right thing washing her off hope you got the hide off too. it just goes to show how fast a deer can react to the twang of the bow when it goes off.I believe you when you say your aim was right but a deer can move that fast you dont even relieze it did it.Last year my friend did the same thing and left the deer till morning and the meat was just fine. Good luck and congradulations.
huntman

Post by huntman »

If your worried about the temperature overnight that is not a concern. The standard temp. of a fridge is 7 degress. I have taken a buck a few years back that was shot with a gun through the gut and the meat was fine.

Post by Guest »

washing the cavity with a little vinegar will ease the thought of meat contamination from stomach contents.
wildwindom

Post by wildwindom »

Congrats the meat will be fine!!
[img]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/1garywindom/bones.jpg[/img]
08 VORTEX
FFF STRING
LUMI-ZONE
GT LAZER II
100 GRAIN SLICK TRICKS
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

another you you can do in the future in the field is wipe the inside cavity down with the bllod of the deer. That will stop flys from getting to the meat and keep it from contamination also.
. Congradulations on the persuit and retrival of your doe.
(THE BLUE STAR)

Post by (THE BLUE STAR) »

Congrats , the meat should be fine, enjoy :D Frederick
Frederick.. The Blue Star