Re: Smoke

Post by Deaf jeff »

Robinsons Rebel wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:43 pm
Deaf jeff wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:11 pm
Robinsons Rebel wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:09 pm
Has anyone used smoke on their camo as a cover scent on a regular basis? Does it work for you?
i used a smoking stick called deer smoke screen for years and had very good luck while using it. i have to use an atv to get to/fro my blinds and i always lit a stick and attached to atv when i left the house, stuck it in the ground when i parked atv. the sticks lasted about 2 1/2 hours and after the one in the ground had time to burn out i would light another and stick it in the window frame of my permanent blinds. sadly this is no longer available, it was made in texas. my hunting ways are set do to disabilities and i can honestly say it made a difference for the better in my hunting. i have not been able to find anything like it. the liquid smoke cover scent available does not come close to real hardwood smoke i have even tried making similar sticks with out any much luck.... smoke is a natural odor eater and it deer are curious about the smell. during the 6 year span that i was able to get this i shot 3 big 8 points(for my area) and 2 of them were directly in my scent stream when shot,. 1 was 27 yards with my 355 the other was 70 yards with my .308(pic in the link below)

https://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50742&sid=64a4398d743ac7e2e1b5af983d85e9e4&start=15
Might need to try what I've heard people use. They use that smoker that bee keepers use to smoke the hive. Fill it up with wood chips of your choice and then let ur rip. I use the wind and all that when I hunt. Just looking at other tools to put in my toolbox.

i tried a bee smoker last season and keeping it burning/smoldering while i am on stand is the main drawback with this method
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

One other thing I did was buy a boot drier. It's hot down here and my feet sweat a lot. Especially in muck boots. Odor is bacteria and drying it out will kill it. So I put my boots on the drier after the hunt and dry them out for next time. My boots don't stink...but I have no idea if it helps for sure....but it can't hurt.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

janesy wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:46 pm
I use WR cedar shake shims in my storage totes. For two reasons. There are cedars everywhere I hunt, but it also keeps my clothes from getting musty from living in a sealed plastic tote for months at a time.

Does it cool a deer. No. But they smell nice when they come out of the tote.
When not in use I have a large cedar chest I store my hunting clothes in. Lots of Eastern Cedar around here and Pines. I also make up a couple of small bags of cedar shaving and put them in my tall Rocky snake boots. (At least they smell better to me!! :lol: )
My regular Danner's just get a dose of scent killer.
Like Keith said, my feet sweat during the early part of bow season, so I'm trying to kill the stink!! :eusa-doh:

If I'm hunting a ground blind, or just setting one up, I spray it with the scent killer of my choice, then pull a LOT of Pine needles and place them inside the blind. I'll generally do this a month before bow season. I leave them until they begin to dry out. Once they lose the scent, out they go! Now it's time to hunt! :thumbup:
I know this seems like a lot of extra effort just to kill a deer, but it works for me. :mrgreen:

On the other hand, if I'm hunting "Big Uglies" (pigs), I have been known to wear shorts, a t-shirt and sandals. Not a good "mental image" for sure!! :lol: :wtf: :wink:
But trying to hunt with temps well over 90 ain't too thrilling either!! :lol: :eusa-doh: :wink: :lol:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Hillcountry

Post by Hillcountry »

When in my ground blind (if I have the Buddy heater going) I find a piece of dry wood from the ground litter and place it in the grill of the heater…smells like a wood stove to me but I have no idea if it spooks the deer because I never see any! 🤣
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I think it depends on where you hunt. When we hunted the inlaws farm there was always someone burning a trash pile somewhere near by. I think the smoke had no effect on the local deer herd.
A few years back on a small creek bed we hunt there was a construction project to repair the bridge that was maybe 200 yards from where we always hunt. You could hear machinery, people talking, smell diesel fuel, and exhaust, and a host of other things. I figured I would hunt there anyway and killed a nice doe on my first sit. The deer had gotten used to the elements as they do.
That said, I would be careful introducing new things DURING a hunting season if at all possible. On the other hand, deer are curious creatures! :eusa-think:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!