Micro 380: First impression

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

Micro 380: First impression

Post by DuckHunt »

After putting the front half of my Micro 400 TD on the back half of my Micro 340 TD, I found my favorite bow. So when I saw the new Micro 380, I knew I had to have one. Though it doesn't have the TD feature, that wasn't a deal breaker and likely lowers the weight which is always a plus.

I opted for the standard Mossy Oak version. Unpacking an assembly was uneventful. Then came the real test, what's it like to rope cock this thing? Well, its a stiff pull to say the least and about what I expected. I ended up firing about a dozen shots out of it just checking the speed and the trigger and I could physically feel it. Maybe that's why the Excalibur website only lists the draw weight assuming you'll be cocking it with a crank. A lot of people will want, if not need, a crank for the Micro 380. But if you're in decent shape feel manly enough, it is certainly rope cockable.

Speed? The first five shots averaged 375 fps, with the highest at 378. More importantly to me, with a 409gr arrow it clocked 352 fps.

As mentioned in another post, the center serving on the string runs almost the entire length of the string. There is 1.5" of string visible on each end between the center serving and the loop serving.
I think I'll like the new quiver if only for the weight and how easy it is to add/remove. But your mileage may vary depending on the type of broadheads that you use. Here is a picture of the inside of the hood.
Left to right that's a Slick Trick Crossbow, Truglo Titanium X 4-blade, Wasp Drone and a Slick Trick Grizztrick 2. As you can see, the two outside positions have plenty of real estate for a 1-1/4" 4-blade broadhead. But the two inside spots will be a little tight for wide cut heads. I was able to put the wide Grizztrick in, but I'm pretty sure I was cutting rubber to make that happen. The hood insert is soft black plastic so it is certainly cutable.
For those worried about clearance, it shouldn't be an issue unless you're shooting wide cut (1-1/4" or bigger) fixed 4-blade broadheads.

The other end of the quiver has a fairly strong rubber grip to hold the arrows. The two outside arrow positions are easiest to remove, but still more secure than any position of the prior quiver models. The two inside arrow position are like Fort Knox. It takes effort to remove them and I'm confident those arrows will not come out until you want them to. While there isn't something to secure the head end of the arrow, the tail end holds very well so arrows shouldn't slide out of position unless pulled.

In what little trigger time I had, I really liked the trigger. It's quite shiny and does not come forward into position until the bow is cocked. It starts well back of what I've seen on all prior models.

The rhino nocks really "snap" into place. If you have a deer under your stand, that snap could be audible. So taking a second deer just got a bit more challenging. That snap is unavoidable if you're using a rhino nock. It's probably a coincidence, but I noticed that the gap at the end of the arrow on a Lumenok hits right where the rhino nock click into place. I fired arrows with the rhino nocks and without and with the typical GTF Lumenoks all without issue. I wondered if the rhino nocks held onto the arrow hard enough to impact the speed. It doesn't seem like it to me.

Overall, I think the Micro 380 is going to be everything I've wanted from a Micro. It will surely be my #1 bow next season, and possibly from here onward. I'm thinking some herd thinning is in my future.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
gerald strine

Re: Micro 380: First impression

Post by gerald strine »

Congratulations on the new bow thanks for the first impressions on the bow sounds like a winner.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Sounds worth a looksie to me. I would think the extra serving is to get a string weight minimum at shot using 350 grain arrows, but smarter people know more. :eusa-popcorn:
I do like my Cadillac Matrix 380 because I can rope cock it still. Today anyway. :lol: :lol:
Looking forward to more info. You enjoy! :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Seems like that much serving material might limit string adjustment.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

The 380 looks like a winner to me. But then again I haven't shot an Excalibur that I didnt think was a winner!
I'm still thinking about that Mag air though myself.
Enjoy your new bow.
Take care
Hatchet
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I gotta admit that the 380 is the first time ive been tempted to buy a micro series. Excellent review
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
sbox

Post by sbox »

In the process of ordering one now. Better start doing my puch ups :D
Excalibur Micro 380, Exocet 200, Phoenix, Vixen, Vixen II
sbox

Post by sbox »

Great Review
Excalibur Micro 380, Exocet 200, Phoenix, Vixen, Vixen II
Boo

Post by Boo »

The 400 is a great hardcore hunting bow with a few really minor irritants. The 380 takes care of those and casts a decent arrow weight at speeds that are less likely to show arrow defects. It isn’t nearly as rude as the 400 Suppressor.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Robinsons Rebel

Post by Robinsons Rebel »

Good info
2016 Matrix Grizzly (Red Bud)
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
100 gr. Trailblazer broadheads
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber
"There are only two seasons in a year.. hunting season and waiting for hunting season"
HD Archer

Post by HD Archer »

Just out of curiosity, what kinda speed did you get when using the Supp 400 TD front end on the 340 TD stock/rail?
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

HD Archer wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:47 pm
Just out of curiosity, what kinda speed did you get when using the Supp 400 TD front end on the 340 TD stock/rail?
Mid-340s with a 410gr arrow. Mid to upper 360s with a 350gr arrow. That's why I ended up with Micro 380 (and now a Wolverine).

To see that setup in action: https://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=73013&p=715081
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol: