Sika Hunt on the Eastren Shore on Md.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mdcrossbow

Sika Hunt on the Eastren Shore on Md.

Post by mdcrossbow »

Charly, a long time hunting friend and I left our homes at 2 AM and meet up at the ranger station along with a cuple hundred other hunters we all had our areas picked out and where realing to get out of check in so we could be the 1st in the areas. Charly and I sat back and bidded our time knowing the deer movement had ended about 4 AM the next movement wouldn't be till 8 or so. Charley set up some 1000 yards from my location. I found a blow down marsh , a heavy pile of debre that started new sapplings over the last 2 years and a receiving jutty of pines from the wood line. I set up 50 yards down wind and waited. Sika deer are small and if I wasn't looking for them to come through there I wouldn't have seen them. I 1st noticed a small patch of brown ,very dark bown under a fallen tree and through the scope I saw my 1st doe of the morning. I shot and missed hitting the log she stood there and looked over the log so I shot again and agin I missed. Man what's up with this wind ? I'm swaying in this large pine like a kite string. Well one doe jumped through the pile to the safty of the wood line and then another emerged the wind stopped at the same time I dropped her in her tracks, right in the cool dark black brackish water. Nice behind the shoulder hidt. I was glad for that cause she only dressed out at 32 pounds and every bit of her meat is taster than any White Tail you'll ever taist. Charly shot and called me on the radio he took a small doe also. And yes , it was 8 AM ! Now the sun was up and I need to ajust my stand and while doing so the only Stag I saw came from the far left of me and was dirrectly in the sun , I radioed Charly to let him know next thing I heard was a shot. Charly had taken the spike stag. We dragged our Sika's out about 11AM and was back in stand by 1PM , I could only take a Stag now and didn't see one that afternoon but did see a few more doe's. By 9PM I was home in bed exalsted and out with a lil trophy for the dinner table.
. This trip the tables turned on my good friend Charly, see he is always the origanized one am I am the fumbling idiot LOL, Charly left his knee boots down and got his feet wet. I told him it's about time I started being the old guy and put into practice what I have learned over these many years of hunting. It was one of the best hunts I have had in a long while in Black Water which can take alot out of you walking the marshes and trying to avoid the Nutra passage ways and stumps and logs and get passed the fatige of the long day in the marsh.
stump

Post by stump »

congrats to you and your buddy. I've never tried Sika deer before, ,in fact I'd never heard of them until this post, but it sure sounds like you earned them. Well done.
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

Stump, Sika deer are a deer from Japan. A man imported them to the Eastren Shore here back in the 50's and thay reproduced in that area . They like water and swamps. It's become big $ down there and Black Water Refuge has been buying up all the land they can get their hands on.
. Sika's are small. A big stag would dress out anywhere from 90 to 110 pounds. Have a good 3X3. Their dark in color and buggle like an Elk. They are part of the Elk family and the meat is the best I have ever had of any game animal.
. The doe I shot dressed out at 32 pounds and she was a year an a half, Charley stag or spike was also a year and a half old but he dressed out 62 pounds. There is a big difference between the sex's in weight. One year I took a 43 pound doe that was a 3 year old.
wildwindom

Post by wildwindom »

Congrats sounded like a real good time!!
[img]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/1garywindom/bones.jpg[/img]
08 VORTEX
FFF STRING
LUMI-ZONE
GT LAZER II
100 GRAIN SLICK TRICKS