Saturday Morning...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

AJ01

Saturday Morning...

Post by AJ01 »

It was a breezy 27 degrees Saturday morning (03/12/22), so I decided to go do the right thing. A friend of mine has some extra Axis Does that needed to be "removed" from his ranch. And I... always being one to lend a helping hand, I obliged him!! :lol:

If you've never had Axis, I highly recommend it! To me it's a a better cut of venison than Whitetail.
Y'all be safe out there!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Normous

Re: Saturday Morning...

Post by Normous »

Axe backstraps must be good, I believe you. Congratulations!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

Congratulations.. Beautiful Hide
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Nice harvest there Andy! Congrats! :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

Awesome AJ! Congratulations on your kill. I bet they are delicious.
Take care
Hatchet
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Congrats, AJ. I have heard Axis is very good table fare.
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Congrats on a good Axis deer I'm sure she'll be some great table fare
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Nice harvest !
Now I want to Try it as table fair.
Congratulations .
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:30 pm
Congrats, AJ. I have heard Axis is very good table fare.
Paul they are quite tasty!!

You know we saw several Bucks just starting to put on antlers. There was a nice dark colored one from last year that I think is gonna make a dandy Buck this year! He was a nice buck last year, but I think he's gonna be a "show stopper" this year!
For those wondering, the Axis rut is opposite Whitetails. It normally occurs in mid-summer!!

And...there are NO high-fenced Whitetails on this ranch. :eusa-naughty:

And for those still reading this...

Then to make things even more interesting, we sat and watched a herd of Gemsbok stroll past at about 75 yards, then a short while later a large group of Simitar-horned Oryx meandered by!! Nice to see the Oryx. They are extinct in their native habitat, but in Texas we have them on just about every large ranch.
Game ranches to some might be a nasty term, but in actuality they are a real success story. Several species of game animals are extinct in their native lands, but thanks to game ranches here in Texas, we have them in huntable numbers. Texas ranchers have even sent Oryx and other species back to their native lands only to have them wiped out AGAIN by poachers.

For those brave souls out there...Texas Parks and Wildlife Department has a few "draw hunts" for exotics and native species every year. And you do NOT have to be a Texas resident to enter the draw. :thumbup:
There are so many free-ranging exotics in Texas now it's unreal. Everything from Axis to Aoudad to Nilgai. The only drawback is 95% of Texas is private land. So you either "draw" or "lease" a place to hunt.
I own and lease and have buddies who have ranches. I'm blessed and I know it!! :angel:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
grouse

Post by grouse »

Nice job AJ! I'm jealous. What weapon did you use?
axiom
350 SE
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

Nice AJ…very cool!! I have wanted a Red Sheep for many years… maybe one day!
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

God bless Texas!
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Grouse,
The weapon was my trusty Micro 355! I haven't fired a rifle at an animal in over 20 years. I bow hunt while others are off hunting with a rifle. Got nothing against "long guns", I just don't use them anymore, except on 'Yotes. Got a passel of them, but they mostly just punch paper these days!! :lol:
Last animal I took with a rifle was a really good Aoudad in Bandera, Texas. That was way back.
Here's a pic.

My hair was still brown back then. I was able to "leap small building with a single bound", or so I thought!! :lol:
6 months after this pic, I was in a hospital in traction and wearing a halo. Took me 18 months and several surgeries to get back to work. Since that time I have learned to enjoy life quite a bit more!! :angel: :lol: :thumbup:
Each day is a gift!! :angel:

And Mark...
Me and you both!! Red Sheep are one of those things that elude me, much to my dismay!! :lol: I like sheep! :thumbup: I keep putting in for the draw hunt here in Texas for Desert Bighorns!! That one I can afford! :lol: :lol:
I've always said "sheep hunting is a rich man's sport"! Even more so now days. A buddy of mine and I talked years ago about going to Montana and hunting Bighorns. Back when you could buy a tag over the counter. The hunt area was 40 miles from the nearest logging road. We never took the trip, and now BOTH of us are too old and beat up to even think about attempting it!!
My sheep hunting these days are limited to Aoudad in a draw hunt if I'm lucky! Fortunately there are a couple of draw hunts sponsored by TPWD every year. Now if I could just find one for a Red, I'd be in good shape. But I ain't holding my breath!! :lol: :lol:

And just remember Mark, there are some really good Red's on some of the ranches here in Texas. Just bring your check book!! :lol: :wink: :mrgreen:
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Carnivorous wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:01 am
God bless Texas!

Jeff,
To me, this is a great success story.

I think as hunters we forget to tell the positive side of the story. As hunters we provide most of the resources for game management.
I recently saw where in a couple of African countries it is NOW legal to harvest White Rhinos again. Granted the cost of such an endeavor is mind blowing, but ALL the money goes back into conservation. To paying for electronic surveillance, game wardens and conservation of the land.

It was walking into a old "Gibson's Store" as a little boy of about 6 or 7 and seeing the shoulder mount of a Rhino that made me want to hunt. I dreamed of days in Africa. :thumbup:
I hope I never loose that passion to hunt. :D

All to often well meaning people want to "end hunting". They don't realize the moment they do, there will be no "wild animals". No money to pay for game wardens to enforce anti-poaching laws. No game management to ensure populations don't exceed the land. And we all know that overpopulation only leads to starvation, disease and death.
Kenya and Elephants are the prime example of that strategy. The Leakey's wanted to end elephant hunting in Kenya back in the late 70's. All hunting was banned. Populations exploded. Poachers swarmed the area, elephants that weren't poached ate everything in sight. Today...Kenya has NO Elephants. And as Dr. Phil would ask, "How's that working out for you?" :eusa-doh:

In 1937 the Pittman- Robertson Act went into effect here in the States. Aslo known as the Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Act was signed by FDR.
The act created an "excise tax" that provides funds to each state to manage animals and habitat. And how is this "tax" collected? From the sale of ALL sporting goods and licenses!
Peta and other "save the wildlife" groups contribute almost NOTHING to help wildlife. Most of what they collect pays salaries. 97 cents of every dollar goes in someone's pocket!!

Peta or Save the Wildlife never saved one of these. Hunters did!!

Just the ramblings of an old Redneck from East Texas!!