Saturday Morning...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

one shot scott

Re: Saturday Morning...

Post by one shot scott »

Congrats on the doe!
The rest of the animals you saw sound like they are named after lord of the rings characters to this Ontario whitetail hunter
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Congrats on the nice Axis doe. I've always thought they looked so beautiful.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

one shot scott wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:11 pm
Congrats on the doe!
The rest of the animals you saw sound like they are named after lord of the rings characters to this Ontario whitetail hunter
Scott... This is a Nilgai Antelope from India. First introduced to Texas on the King Ranch in the 1930's. They now roam most of south Texas freely. They can be hunted on a few of the draw hunts offered by TPWD along the Gulf Coast region of Texas.
These "little" jewels can range up to 600 pounds for an adult Bull.

Out in far West Texas near Big Bend we "might" actually have free ranging Camels. They were brough here in 1856 to Camp Verde in Kerr County, Texas before the Civil War in hopes of using them to fight "hostiles". After the "War Between the States", the U.S. Army decided to nix that plan and rounded up close to 66 Camels in 1866. These were sold to Zoos and Circuses. Thoughts were that at least 130 Camels were set free to roam the vast open desert of the Trans Pecos region of Texas.
Every once in a while you still hear stories of "Wild Camels". :wtf: :lol:

Like I tell folks, "Ya NEVER know what you're gonna see in Texas"!! :shock: :wink: :lol:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

DuckHunt wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:45 pm
Congrats on the nice Axis doe. I've always thought they looked so beautiful.
To me one of the prettiest Animals in Texas. And outside of Whitetail Deer, one of the most sought after too!!

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats on a mighty fine game animal
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
grouse

Post by grouse »

AJ, thanks for posting about a real hunting experience during the off season (for most of us) and thanks for pointing out how hunting is an essential component of wildlife conservation in the modern world.

Posts like this help to keep us stimulated until turkey season starts.
axiom
350 SE
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Man....those are EASY. They have aiming spots built right in!!! :lol:

Congrats! I have a buddy with family down there and we were going to try to hunt some Axis, but apparently that real cold snap last year took a few out? Anyway, it ain't happening this year.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

nchunterkw wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:59 am
Man....those are EASY. They have aiming spots built right in!!! :lol:

Congrats! I have a buddy with family down there and we were going to try to hunt some Axis, but apparently that real cold snap last year took a few out? Anyway, it ain't happening this year.
Keith the winter we had last year was tough on a lot of the exotics down here. Axis actually seemed to have suffered the brunt of it. I've seen buck that the last few inches of their horns was like soft rubber. I guess they suffered "frost bite" while they were still in velvet.

Texas Parks and Wildlife Department also has draw hunts for Sambar Deer. These deer come from south China. Fairly large species with bucks weighing around 400 pounds.

A guy like yourself that likes to Hunt and Travel needs to check out the draw hunts here in Texas.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/public/public_hunt_drawing/

Above link is to the home page.
Last edited by AJ01 on Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

grouse wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:39 am
AJ, thanks for posting about a real hunting experience during the off season (for most of us) and thanks for pointing out how hunting is an essential component of wildlife conservation in the modern world.

Posts like this help to keep us stimulated until turkey season starts.
I see Spring Turkey is set to open April 18th for y'all. I look forward to hearing about a nice Gobbler on the 19th!! :thumbup:

And "Thanks" for the kind words...