Thinking about buying a smoker

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Thinking about buying a smoker

Post by Boo »

Does anyone have a suggestion from experience for an electric smoker? While we're at it, does it make a big difference what wood is used? I have lots of maple, cherry and apple.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
DuckHunt

Re: Thinking about buying a smoker

Post by DuckHunt »

I picked up a Masterbuilt 30" digital electric smoker a couple of years ago as my first smoker and when it dies I'll buy another. I can get 25# of venison summer sausage in it in a single cooking, so it's perfect for me. I recently ordered a new wood chip tray as the previous one is starting to rust through, but so far it looks like I'll be able to run this one for years.

As for wood, I've used mostly hickory on venison, chicken, pork, and salmon but for steaks its really hard to beat the flavor that mesquite brings to the table.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

Don,
I will second the Masterbuilt smokers. My 40” electric has been serving me very well for 5-6 yrs now. Does a great job. Wood wise I prefer hickory but apple is close second.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Boo wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:08 pm
Does anyone have a suggestion from experience for an electric smoker? While we're at it, does it make a big difference what wood is used? I have lots of maple, cherry and apple.
I've been smoking on a Big Green egg for many years

Apple and Cherry are great to start with because the smell Greta and really keep you interested, and they are nearly impossible to overpower the meat with. Where as mesquite and hickory can be used later on, and starting out small.

Remember, Smoke Small! No smoke is better than too much smoke
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

janesy wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:57 pm
Boo wrote:

Apple and Cherry are great to start with because the smell Greta and really keep you interested, and they are nearly impossible to overpower the meat with. Where as mesquite and hickory can be used later on, and starting out small.

I will second your last sentence! But you can wrap the meat part way to keep from having too much. Cherry is only one of the three that you mentioned that I have used. I liked it. It gave off a slight sweet flavor to meat. ROCKED on chicken! Mesquite is strong. Hickory( or pecan, they are very similar) are a good wood to use. Have fun!
janesy

Post by janesy »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:05 pm
janesy wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:57 pm
Boo wrote:

I will second your last sentence! But you can wrap the meat part way to keep from having too much. Cherry is only one of the three that you mentioned that I have used. I liked it. It gave off a slight sweet flavor to meat. ROCKED on chicken! Mesquite is strong. Hickory( or pecan, they are very similar) are a good wood to use. Have fun!
We used to smoke 3 birds on 3 eggs for a local church for every major holiday for their dinner. So counting my own meals I would do 20-24 turkeys a years, and I used pecan to start hot smoke(300°), and then cool to cook temp with no further smoke and apple juice in the drip pan. Cooler rest for 1 hour, then carve.

Simple unbelievable!

Only problem is once people find out you can trim a turkey in minutes to serving etiquette, you get pigeon holed for the rest of your life as the turkey carver.
Last edited by janesy on Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Bradley digital is what I'm using. Set it and forget it... :)

Works excellent!!
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

We have a couple of these spread out between me and the "Outlaws"!! :lol: :lol:

To me they ROCK!!

They actually come in a couple of different sizes and dimensions to fit your needs. The pellets make it super easy. Can even be controlled with your smart phone via bluetooth functions.

The wheels make them easy to move. They will smoke anything you want to throw at them!!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

[url=https://postimg.cc/HJD4wbBx]Image
Boo l have used many many smokers over the years...pellets, propane some very expensive one of my "premium " smokers was almost a thousand dollars.but none are as simple and easy as a low dollar simple electric big chief.
Probably the only downside is they are not insulated .ln the winter l drape a welding blanket over it.
Dollar for dollar the best one of the lot. does everything a 500 dollar model does.
Most of the time l run 2 pans of chips and forget about it for the rest of the day when making jerkey or snack sticks2.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
TPM

Post by TPM »

I use a Bradley. It uses the pucks via an auto feeder, pretty much set it and forget it. Also have a 4 channel temperature monitor that I can tie into with my phone via bluetooth. No more running outside to check cabinet and meat temperatures.

The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
janesy

Post by janesy »

longbow joe wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:57 pm
[url=https://postimg.cc/HJD4wbBx]Image
Boo l have used many many smokers over the years...pellets, propane some very expensive one of my "premium " smokers was almost a thousand dollars.but none are as simple and easy as a low dollar simple electric big chief.
Probably the only downside is they are not insulated .ln the winter l drape a welding blanket over it.
Dollar for dollar the best one of the lot. does everything a 500 dollar model does.
Most of the time l run 2 pans of chips and forget about it for the rest of the day when making jerkey or snack sticks2.
I had one of those for a short bit. They actually advertise on the box that you can turn the box upside down and cover the smoker as an insulator.
It worked, but I grew tired of it fast and I literally could not give that thing away to anyone for free.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
OhioXBowhunter

Post by OhioXBowhunter »

I’ve used both the Masterbuilt and the Pit Boss both work great both were electric I did have the Masterbuilt for about 5 years and only had one problem with it due to the electronic panel going bad due to moisture getting into it Masterbuilt stood behind the smoker and sent a new panel. I just recently got the masterbuilt in the propane version hopefully it will work out a little better seems the problem I had was they get some moisture in the panels when it was stored in the barn. And it seems like every time I smoke it rains that was why I’m trying propane this time.
On the wood I use apple for pork and mesquite and hickory for beef. One tip I learned was keeping logs of times and temperature and weights when smoking then when I find what taste the best I’ll go back to my charts to get the same results. For me the slower cooking and lower temps produce the most tender meat for me.
Good luck once you get one you’ll be wanting to smoke all the time.
400 Suppressor TD
Bulldog 440
Matrix 405
Black Eagle Zombies
Black Eagle Executioners
G5 Montecs / Mega meats
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Boo wrote:
I've had quite a few over the years. Last several were home builds that turned out rather well. And my latest is likely the last one I will ever construct.

I literally smoke hundreds of pounds of products each and every year. Decided it was time to build one that could deal with that very well now and into the future. A Buddy had a late '60's Hospital Food Warmer in his yard. Collected that and went to work.

It has 2.75 inch thick stainless walls (old school stainless - very tough to cut / drill) that sandwich the heaviest insulation I have ever seen. Gutted it, put racks in it,then put a damper controlled intake & chimney. It is run by a PID Controller device which controls two industrial quality electric burners. Probes both inside the box, and inside the product feed into the PID to govern heat level and duration. Good thing it is on wheels, as it weighs one hell of a lot!!

A few pix:

Cold Smoke set-up using a Bradley cold smoke unit and piping:

Hot smoked salmon:

Gummy Bear Salmon Candy:

Also do birds, hams, sausage and more with this unit to perfection.

The selection of wood generally is decided by WHAT you are smoking.
I prefer a mix of Alder & Apple for most fish. Leaves a delicate, velvety finish.
Birds I like a mix of either Apple or Adler with Hickory. Slightly stronger flavour that is well suited to them.
Hams etc generally hickory, but sometimes cherry. Red meats the same.

It is a fun game to get into, and the products are awesome.
I realize most prefer to buy rather than build, but thought I'd share anyway.
The Hospital Warming Units still come up occasionally on government auction / sale sites for any interested.

Have fun with this Don!
I certainly do!!

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
OhioXBowhunter

Post by OhioXBowhunter »

Now that’s a smoker Nog nice job on the construction of that. By the looks of that you wouldn’t have any trouble doing a whole hog in that………………..NICE
400 Suppressor TD
Bulldog 440
Matrix 405
Black Eagle Zombies
Black Eagle Executioners
G5 Montecs / Mega meats
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Smoked some wild pork sausage yesterday in the Bradley with hickory pucks.

Outstanding flavour! ,:)

A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.