6 Pack going to Texas

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Normous

6 Pack going to Texas

Post by Normous »

AJO1 is one lucky guy to have the opportunity to hunt Nilgai , an African antelope species reproducing in Texas, hunt scheduled later this year.
To assist him I prepped (6) .001 BEE's at 16.5" .

Since Nilgai who are built like a tank at 500 to 600 lb I thought a tougher arrow would be the best option. We already knew the US made TOTA 125 or 150 gr 4 blade 1 3/16" cut will handle the sharp end of the deal.

So, I went to work and called Vanetec Vanes ( made in Oregon) to call up some Swift 3.15" HD's in Purple, a color that I am now happy to offer and in stock with 600 pieces ordered (300 purple in 2.25" HD also).

Prep:
- BEE squared and the inside front end cleaned thoroughly using 6" q-tips soaked in acetone to accept a 50 grain Carbon inner tube at 6" secured with 2 part slow set flexible epoxy. Can't use any old glue with double carbon arrows.

- Next, into the Ram spine tester to position spine at the 12:00 o' clock position on deck.

- I certainly would not want a brass insert which could deform or fail on such a tough animal as Nilgai, so a Custom 110 grain Ethics SS insert handles front end duties without reservation.

- The Vanetec Swift HD in 3.15" secured at 1.5 Deg. offset handle the steering and controls. 2 Purple and one Yellow orientation.

- Lumenoks will handle the nock chore so I added and 18 gr set screw to the yellow BE factory nock for practice weight uniformity.

Purple and Yellow make this arrow Pop!

Double carbon weight without point is 367.5 gr +/- 1/2 grain uniformity.

Last edited by Normous on Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
janesy

Re: 6 Pack going to Texas

Post by janesy »

Looks like Nilgai burgers are on the menu for sure!
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

A well placed shot with those and penetration shouldn't be an issue. Nice looking arrows.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Awesome work Norm! Good luck AJ, hope you fill the tag with a nice one! :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

Excellent work Norm! Looks like AJ is ready for whatever the hunt brings him. We wish him the best of luck. We just wanna see some pics of the bloody aftermath.
Take care
Hatchet
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Great looking arrows hope he can get some blood on them
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Beuty job buddy! Your arrows knock em dead!!!
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Nice arrows . They should do the job .
Good luck on the hunt .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
grouse

Post by grouse »

Great looking arrows! My ignorance about building arrows is far greater than my knowledge, so I have a question. I got the impression from reading this forum that blazer vanes were superior to traditional vanes. Though I have no idea why that is, it has inspired me to only buy arrows with blazer vanes (and I like the way they look). The arrows pictured above appear to have traditional vanes. Is there a reason?
axiom
350 SE
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Norm those look OUTSTANDING!!! And I know they will perform as great as they look!!

Nilgai can be found in Texas from about Raymondville south. Raymondville is known as the "Gateway to the Rio Grande Valley". I have a long-time friend that lives there as well as a friend that works for the U.S. Border Patrol who lives in Weslaco. Been wanting to try one of the Beastie's out for a while now.

Several ranches in South Texas offer Nilgai hunts. Some can set you back a penny or two. :shock: Best bang for the buck, (no pun intended), is one of the many draw hunts Texas Parks and Wildlife offers. :thumbup: They are open to EVERYONE who wants to apply!!

Many great hunting and fishing opportunities lie within the borders of the State of Texas.
BTW...Exotics in Texas CAN be hunted year round!!

Those interested in a really good Axis buck, May-August is the best time to hunt them. Peak rut time is usually June and July. You will NOT need a coat nor longjohns in Texas during that time of year!!

Once more, many THANKS to the find gentleman we all know as "Normous". He's another outstanding example of the great folks you will find on this forum.

Once more, MANY THANKS NORMAN!!! Can't wait to fling those at something!! :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Normous

Post by Normous »

grouse wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:49 am
Great looking arrows! My ignorance about building arrows is far greater than my knowledge, so I have a question. I got the impression from reading this forum that blazer vanes were superior to traditional vanes. Though I have no idea why that is, it has inspired me to only buy arrows with blazer vanes (and I like the way they look). The arrows pictured above appear to have traditional vanes. Is there a reason?
Goodmorning Grouse,

No doubt Blazer vanes have had a positive impact on the archery industry since they were introduced. They are light, affordable, reasonably tough, and stabilize an arrow better because of the taller profile and steeper leading angle and they look cool.

A short 2 vane like the Blazer may not be ideal in all areas. AJO1 chose to use the Tooth Of The Arrow 1 3/16" cut 4 blade head. The way I see it a 3 inch vane like the Swift 3.15" HD (stiffer) offers a slightly better steering control paired with this particular broadhead.

My feedback using this Shield Cut vane in 2.25" and 3.15" has been very good with 100 dozen + built with them of the last few years.

The smaller 2.25" VT HD Swift vane I have been offering to the mechanical broadhead users starting in Sept 2021 offers less noise and flutter compared to the Blazer in the same weight category.

Plus VaneTec are made in the good old USA.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
grouse

Post by grouse »

Normous wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:23 am
grouse wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:49 am
Goodmorning Grouse,

No doubt Blazer vanes have had a positive impact on the archery industry since they were introduced. They are light, affordable, reasonably tough, and stabilize an arrow better because of the taller profile and steeper leading angle and they look cool.

A short 2 vane like the Blazer may not be ideal in all areas. AJO1 chose to use the Tooth Of The Arrow 1 3/16" cut 4 blade head. The way I see it a 3 inch vane like the Swift 3.15" HD (stiffer) offers a slightly better steering control paired with this particular broadhead.

My feedback using this Shield Cut vane in 2.25" and 3.15" has been very good with 100 dozen + built with them of the last few years.

The smaller 2.25" VT HD Swift vane I have been offering to the mechanical broadhead users starting in Sept 2021 offers less noise and flutter compared to the Blazer in the same weight category.

Plus VaneTec are made in the good old USA.
Thank you! My ignorance concerning arrow components has now shrunken slightly.
axiom
350 SE
Normous

Post by Normous »

I am always here willing to share what I have leaned about crossbows and arrows.
I owe alot to Boo for his wisdom teaching ability and not missing an opportunity to take my questions and explain things to me.
Thank you Don
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

Great looking arrows Norm... good luck AJ!! I'm jealous for sure!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
galamb

Post by galamb »

I even go a step further than Norm and build all my "front heavy, going to shoot fixed broadhead" arrows with 4" Norway Duravanes.

I don't build with the carbon inserts instead all my added weight is up front.

Current arrows are Gold Tip Ballistic shafts (8.5 gpi) cut to 17" for my Micro.

Up front is 110 grain Gold Tip insert (std) backed with a 50 grain and a 20 grain insert weight - so 180 grains "right at the front" - tip that with a 125 grain fixed head (TOTA 4 blade, VPA 3 Blade or Iron Will 2 blade - all ventilated models - solid models just get a little hairy shooting out at 40 if there is even a puff of wind) and that is 305 grains of my 504 grain total weight is in the front 3'ish inches of arrow.

Trying to steer that much weight forward with a puny 2" vane causes a corkscrew flight pattern - just not enough vane on the (short lever) to keep the flight profile level.

While the Tooth of the Arrow broadheads are very close to flying like a fieldpoint because of their tiny size they still do get effected by crosswinds and have more drag then any of the mechanicals. And under those conditions you need some "vane" to help keep them flying true.

Shooting a mechanical at close to minimum weight I can get decent groups with "no vanes" which makes the Blazers barely more than a decoration. But try to stretch out a heavy arrow with an FOC above 19% out 40 or 50 yards and the longer the vane the better in my experience.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS