Another dumb question from this newbie

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

jay1972

Another dumb question from this newbie

Post by jay1972 »

Hello Everyone,

Well the season is getting closer and closer by the minute, Bow only starts on the 25th and am looking forward to getting out there.
My Big Game setup is going to be my new Bulldog 440 shooting 330gr Zombie Slayers and 125gr 1”in Tooth of the arrow S-Series Total weight 455gr and Scope is set for 415fps and its shooting amazing.
Getting about ¾”in grouping at 20 and 30 yrd and just over 1 ½”in at 40 so very happy and hope my luck is good out there this year hoping for a nice bear and some deer.
But hear is my question I would also like to try for some smaller game like Rabbit and Grouse utilizing some small game heads, I’m thinking this is extreme overkill using this setup.
That being said I also have My first bow a Grz2 and can use the original arrows that came with the bulldog roughly 350gr total with 100gr small game head and dial that in.
Last time I used it I was getting 1 ½”in groups at 30yds but I’m not as proficient with the Grz2 as I find it very small for me and difficult to get proper eye relief and length of pull,
So my question which would you choose risk using a bow that your accuracy isn’t what you would like to see or hit the animal with a flying log and risk amount of usable meat???
I know this seems like of a dumb question but I would have just used a firearm .22 or .410 if it wasn’t taking so long to get my PAL back its been almost 11 months and now cant even get a real person to check, guess doing my RPAL and PAL at the same time has bit me in the @ss and looks like this season is a wash for bird hunting
Hope every one has a great start to their season and thank you in advance for any advice

Jay
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning."
Albert Einstein

"Learn how to see. Realize that everything connects to everything else."
Leonardo da Vinci
AJ01

Re: Another dumb question from this newbie

Post by AJ01 »

It's simple...use what you are comfortable with. And besides. No one is going to fault you for shooting deer with BD440!! Personally I like heavy arrows.
Take the 440 and go hunt!! :thumbup:

Just this Old Rednecks humble opinion! :lol:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Boo

Post by Boo »

I would not use the 440 for small game unless you have to. You will break and lose more arrows with it than the GRZ bow. Make it work, it should be super accurate, more accurate that the 440. In the GRZ what arrow configuration are you using? If your LOP and eye relief too long or too short?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

When it comes to small game, especially squirrels, accuracy is paramount. You need to be able to keep the arrow in about a 1-inch circle. Any properly fitting Excalibur crossbow should be able to meet this requirement with the proper arrow setup. For me, 20 yards is about my maximum distance when shooting squirrels and most shots are far closer. This is a close range sport for me. Which means that you need to practice at close range. Most of our bows don't have aiming points for inside of 20 yards and for deer size game that doesn't matter most of the time. But when you need to hit a 1-inch circle, you need to know exactly where you will hit at all distances. Practicing 10 yard shots was very informative to me. Squirrels are also lighter and to me appear to have exceptional reaction time. A deer has to drop 8-10 inches to "jump the string" while a squirrel just barely has to move so longer shots (like 30 yards) will require generous portions of both skill and luck.

I found out right away that overkill is the name of the game. Even your GRZ could be overkill. Using rubber blunt tips my Micro 335 could push the blunt clean through a squirrel if it had a firm backstop. Since you'll be overkill either way, its a question of which you can shoot more accurately with and how much wear and tear you're willing to accept on your equipment. I use some of my older/excess arrows set up just for shooting squirrels, so I don't mind as much if one meets its demise in rocky soil.

To me, the GRZ sounds like a great platform for the task but you'd need to wring out a little more accuracy. Have you considered shooting a few of the arrows from your 440 in your GRZ just to see how well they shoot? You may be surprised. The heavier arrow will impact your trajectory, but not as much at really close ranges as you might think. It may give you the accuracy you're looking for without impacting your effective range in this situation.
In either case, good luck. If your area is like mine, I have far more opportunities to shoot a squirrel than I do to shoot a deer so it's great practice.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
janesy

Post by janesy »

I think the fitment issue is just the preference between the two stock styles. Your grz2 also does come with a cheek piece, if you havent already get one from Paul.

But I hear ya on the micro stock, im really not a fan. I prefer the bulldog/stryker stock by far
jay1972 wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:02 am
Hello Everyone,

Well the season is getting closer and closer by the minute, Bow only starts on the 25th and am looking forward to getting out there.
My Big Game setup is going to be my new Bulldog 440 shooting 330gr Zombie Slayers and 125gr 1”in Tooth of the arrow S-Series Total weight 455gr and Scope is set for 415fps and its shooting amazing.
Getting about ¾”in grouping at 20 and 30 yrd and just over 1 ½”in at 40 so very happy and hope my luck is good out there this year hoping for a nice bear and some deer.
But hear is my question I would also like to try for some smaller game like Rabbit and Grouse utilizing some small game heads, I’m thinking this is extreme overkill using this setup.
That being said I also have My first bow a Grz2 and can use the original arrows that came with the bulldog roughly 350gr total with 100gr small game head and dial that in.
Last time I used it I was getting 1 ½”in groups at 30yds but I’m not as proficient with the Grz2 as I find it very small for me and difficult to get proper eye relief and length of pull,
So my question which would you choose risk using a bow that your accuracy isn’t what you would like to see or hit the animal with a flying log and risk amount of usable meat???
I know this seems like of a dumb question but I would have just used a firearm .22 or .410 if it wasn’t taking so long to get my PAL back its been almost 11 months and now cant even get a real person to check, guess doing my RPAL and PAL at the same time has bit me in the @ss and looks like this season is a wash for bird hunting
Hope every one has a great start to their season and thank you in advance for any advice

Jay
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

Maybe try the stock extension on the GRZ2? The LOP isn't much shorter on the micro stock compared to the bulldog stock, so the extension should help with that.
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Increase the weight of the 350gr arrow on the Grz and it will help with accuracy.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Arrows in Squirrels? :wtf:

That's why I use an Air Rifle!! :mrgreen:

But...I digress!! :lol:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

AJ01 wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:36 am
It's simple...use what you are comfortable with. And besides. No one is going to fault you for shooting deer with BD440!! Personally I like heavy arrows.

Not to change the subject A J but did you get hit with all that flooding yesterday and this morning ???

Dave
hope all is well
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

papabear1 wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:05 pm
AJ01 wrote:

Not to change the subject A J but did you get hit with all that flooding yesterday and this morning ???

Dave
hope all is well
Dave... I'm about 135 miles East of Dallas. I'm actually closer to Shreveport, Louisiana than Dallas. :lol: No flooding, but it's now rained for about 20 hours straight. Sometimes it's a downpour, others a drizzle. "The Boss" left to go to DFW Airport this AM to head to San Francisco to visit friends. I told her to 'drive careful".
She'll go to by our youngest who lives in Dallas and "Uber" over to DFW in the morning. She cheats! She gets to see the youngest grandson before she leaves. :lol:
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

AJ01 wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:55 pm
papabear1 wrote:
AJ01 wrote:

Dave
hope all is well
Dave... I'm about 135 miles East of Dallas. I'm actually closer to Shreveport, Louisiana than Dallas. :lol: No flooding, but it's now rained for about 20 hours straight. Sometimes it's a downpour, others a drizzle. "The Boss" left to go to DFW Airport this AM to head to San Francisco to visit friends. I told her to 'drive careful".
She'll go to by our youngest who lives in Dallas and "Uber" over to DFW in the morning. She cheats! She gets to see the youngest grandson before she leaves. :lol:
Glad to hear your'e wet but safe :lol: :lol:

Dave
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

papabear1 wrote:
AJ01 wrote:

Dave
hope all is well
Rained a bit in DFW. Lots of road closures, water in some houses, River is up pretty high. Fortunately we did ok. ( side note funny, shop and where I parked my truck were on higher ground, but street between the two not so much. Water got up almost to top of fire hydrant at street….. my lunch was in the truck! Darn it!😂😂😂)
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:55 am
papabear1 wrote:
AJ01 wrote:

Dave
hope all is well
Rained a bit in DFW. Lots of road closures, water in some houses, River is up pretty high. Fortunately we did ok. ( side note funny, shop and where I parked my truck were on higher ground, but street between the two not so much. Water got up almost to top of fire hydrant at street….. my lunch was in the truck! Darn it!😂😂😂)
That sounds like my luck! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Boo

Post by Boo »

papabear1 wrote:
AJ01 wrote:

Dave
hope all is well
Paul, is that the first meal you missed? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
janesy

Post by janesy »

Boo wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:13 pm
papabear1 wrote:

Dave
hope all is well
Paul, is that the first meal you missed? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh, not to change the subject again, but I found this great little cafe by my kids house, they make egg salad with curry, spinach, on a fresh made croisant.
I would risk flood water if I left that in my truck. No question. I have a pic, i'll find it (edit: found it)

🤣🤣
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme