Deer meat

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longbow joe

Deer meat

Post by longbow joe »

I know I'm going to get lamb basted but for the most part ....l hate deer meat.lol.
This is where people chime in and say ..".you don't know how to cook it"
After 40 years of hunting believe me l had it every freaking way and l don't like it."l do not like it on a boat...do not like it with a coat...
I make jerky, small snack sticks ,medium snack sticks that are delicious .Of course the tenderloins are delicious also.l love them and love making the sticks and jerky other than that you can have the steaks chops ribs basically everything.
It doesn't taste like a beef ribeye ,sirloin no matter what you do to it.l don't want to hear what you soak it in l have marinated it in everything imaginable ..... it tastes not that good ..it doesn't get my attention. Rather eat a loaf of bread or a hor dog.
Honestly I wish it tasted like beef instead of deer but I can't change that or my tastebuds.
I never let a deer go to waste l have 3 friends that will take all l can shoot and l am very happy helping them out.
I also have endless respect for these critters but l don't like their meat.
Maby l can find someone who owns a seafood store that would trade lobster for deer meat that would be awsome.
I CANT BE THE ONLY ONE NOW IS THE TIME TO CONFESS !
Actually 2 years ago when l had covid ..it actually tasted ok.
Last edited by longbow joe on Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
grouse

Re: Deer meat

Post by grouse »

What diet do the deer in your area eat? Is there something they eat that makes them taste bad? The deer I shoot come from an agricultural area and eat a lot of corn, soybeans and milo (in addition to natural foods). The meat is excellent and a lot like beef, just leaner.

A few years ago, my youngest son had a girlfriend who said she didn't like deer meat. I had cooked some venison backstrap filets and he gave her one, not telling her what it was. She ate it and said it was the best steak she had ever eaten. She was shocked when he told her what it was. My wife and I host a venison dinner \ Christmas party every December. People rave about the venison backstrap filets and tenderloins we serve. Some of these people had never eaten venison before and were a little hesitant to try it. They all loved it.

What's wrong with you?
axiom
350 SE
Boo

Post by Boo »

You aren’t alone. I know a few guys who think how you do about deer meat. I think it’s a genetic thing, like cilantro and boar meat.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Joe

Your post made me chuckle.

I was raised on a farm. We had our own pigs, cattle and chickens....and lots of deer. My sandwiches for school were deer meat, and I'm pretty sure that the rest of the kids had the same. Everyone sold what was raised and ate deer.

That changed after I left home. Then meat became something that came in a styrofoam tray with a bar code, and it wasn't my mother doing the cooking. Now I don't like deer meat and don't eat it.

Elk is reluctantly cooked in our household, so I will hunt elk whenever I can get a licence.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Not my favorite either. It’s not “ wild tasting” it’s not “ gamey”. It’s just not beef. Love the Jalapeño Cheese Summer Sausage but how much of that can you eat? Usually give mine away to guys at work that like it.
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

I think it also has a lot to do with how it is cared for after the kill, how cleanly it is processed, and the timeline it is all done in. We had a processor we used to take ours to that hung them way too long, in our opinion. Tasted horrible. Now we take care of them right away.....can hardly tell the difference between our ground venison and ground beef...except the venison is leaner.
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360
Boo

Post by Boo »

I've killed 2 Elk from the hills of Colorado and Wyoming. I've also killed escapees from local Elk farms and I'll take Elk any day over beef. I like farm deer but I really don't like deer taken from areas with no agriculture.
grouse

Post by grouse »

In addition to the backstrap and tenderloin, we really like the ground venison. It's great in chili, tacos, meatloaf etc. Hamburgers taste fine but fall apart too easily due to a lack of fat. I usually mix some ground beef or ground pork with ground venison to make burgers. People are happy to eat them. As I said above though, our venison comes from an area that has lots of crop fields. That probably makes a difference.

One other thing. Our deer are typically pretty fat, but the fat is more external than marbled. There is some fat in the ground venison but not enough to hold it together well.
axiom
350 SE
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

grouse wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:50 am
What's wrong with you?
x 2.

Just kidding. You're not alone. The guy who hunted my favorite spot before I began hunting there didn't eat deer either. He would bag a few every season and gave them all away. For me it's all about how well it is processed, how it is prepared and the cut of meat. I'm not sure I've ever had a deer neck roast I liked. I'm not a big fan of roasts, deer or otherwise. But I've got plenty of uses for ground deer and can never get enough deer steak.

We'll eat deer two more times this week, then the freezer will be bare of it. That adds a little incentive with the season coming in Saturday.

I love hunting ducks, but I'm not a fan of eating them in 90% of the recipes I've tried. Fortunately my wife has found a couple recipes where just about any meat works. It's amazing good how some things taste when smothered in cheese.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

80-90% of my meat intake, some pork and chicken but i have not bought beef in 30+years for my eating. with me it all has to do with preference rather than dislike
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
janesy

Post by janesy »

Same boat. Its not my favorite. Honestly I wasnt too put out to miss last years season. Its not so much the flavour that I dislike, because thats not the case. Its the smell. When its browning in the pan i find the smell over powering and downright disgusting. So I have to brown it with a pile of onions. One of the problems I have is that for a few years, the bucks I was getting were large bodied deer. So we had a lot of meat. And I mean a lot.

Now when my ex would cook it while I was at work, I liked it, It was always good. But i didnt have to smell it.

Bear meat on the other hand, my whole family packs it back. Its my 6 year old daughter favorite meat.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
frisky

Post by frisky »

I like it, my wife on the other hand HATES it. I can boil water but not cook, so with wife cooking we get very little. I had it ground and some beef added. The wife will find something to cook with the ground in it. Last year I donated my buck to the needy program. If I go this year I will do the same. The meat is ok but I would rather HUNT!! :thumbup:
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
Boo

Post by Boo »

DuckHunt wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:27 pm
grouse wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:50 am
What's wrong with you?
x 2.

Just kidding. You're not alone. The guy who hunted my favorite spot before I began hunting there didn't eat deer either. He would bag a few every season and gave them all away. For me it's all about how well it is processed, how it is prepared and the cut of meat. I'm not sure I've ever had a deer neck roast I liked. I'm not a big fan of roasts, deer or otherwise. But I've got plenty of uses for ground deer and can never get enough deer steak.

We'll eat deer two more times this week, then the freezer will be bare of it. That adds a little incentive with the season coming in Saturday.

I love hunting ducks, but I'm not a fan of eating them in 90% of the recipes I've tried. Fortunately my wife has found a couple recipes where just about any meat works. It's amazing good how some things taste when smothered in cheese.
I really don't like the taste of waterfowl (geese or puddle ducks) unless it's used for sausage or cooked just one way. They taste like liver and I can't stand it. But, I sure like whacking them! :eusa-dance:
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Well I don’t like the taste of northern deer so I haven’t hunted since we moved 5 years ago but we would eat 2 deer a year when we lived in the south. No moose tag yet but get lots of road kill so we eat moose about 2 times a week
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Boo

Post by Boo »

mr meat wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:24 pm
Well I don’t like the taste of northern deer so I haven’t hunted since we moved 5 years ago but we would eat 2 deer a year when we lived in the south. No moose tag yet but get lots of road kill so we eat moose about 2 times a week
I'm pretty sure I'd rather have your moose road kill over killing one myself. The work after the kill is just crazy!