Mechanical broadhead test

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mchurch

Mechanical broadhead test

Post by mchurch »

I have an excalibur micro 380. Total arrow weight is 400 grains at around 350 fps. I wanted to try my thorn hpx broadhead on really large hogs..350 pounds. Do you think shooting like 3/4 inch plywood would be a good test to see if I'll get enough penetration?
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead
janesy

Re: Mechanical broadhead test

Post by janesy »

mchurch wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:00 pm
I have an excalibur micro 380. Total arrow weight is 400 grains at around 350 fps. I wanted to try my thorn hpx broadhead on really large hogs..350 pounds. Do you think shooting like 3/4 inch plywood would be a good test to see if I'll get enough penetration?
That's the tried method.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I used a mechanical on the hog I shot in March. I didn't get a pass through but the hog dropped on the spot. Next time I will go with a fixed smaller diameter head. The hide on a 350lbs hog will be incredibly tough to penetrate with a mechanical...
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
mchurch

Post by mchurch »

Carnivorous, which mechanical head?
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

mchurch wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:51 pm
Swat. The swat easily passes through deer and bear. Hogs are in a different league...
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Carnivorous wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:00 pm
mchurch wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:51 pm
Swat. The swat easily passes through deer and bear. Hogs are in a different league...
Yes, they is!!! :lol: :lol:

I only shoot fixed at hogs. And down here we shoot a lot of them. I have seen hogs shot with mechanicals that the head never made it to the "boiler room".
One of my son-in-laws took a friend hunting, shot one with a Rage. From a vertical We killed the hog 2 weeks later with the arrow broke off at the shoulder. The head never made it past the shield. :thumbdown:

Just my 2 cents worth!! :mrgreen:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I only killed 2 hogs with a crossbow years ago it was with the plain old boltcutter broadhead and a 2219 alluminum bolt no issues with a 330 matrix.
If l hunted them again l probably would use the same broadhead but wit a zombie and a 100 grain insert.
I don't think you need some self sharpening exotic expensive one piece broadhead for them.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
janesy

Post by janesy »

I without a doubt, would be shooting a TOTA after watching them in testing for the past couple years.

500fps, a block target and a morrel high roller and it still went into the rocks and survived. No hog was stopping that.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

I’ve killed quite a few over the years with archery gear… with the exception of four or five that I killed with a longbow (Simmons Tiger Shark) I have used a fixed blade Muzzy.
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
Boo

Post by Boo »

I might be wrong but the tip of those mechanicals that you are looking at do not look like they encourage entry/penetration. I would stick with a good broadhead that has a sharp tip. I've used the G5 Striker Magnum with good success on hogs.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
mchurch

Post by mchurch »

I definitely don't want an angry wounded hog
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
nchunter

Post by nchunter »

Lusk Archery has tested a few Thorn broadheads. Here’s one of them:
https://youtu.be/-KIb7mFblu8

It’s penetration was rather poor, compared to most of the other broadheads tested. He shoots them into ballistic gel, and measures the inches of penetration. Then he also shoots it through compressed corrugated cardboard, and counts how many layers it cuts through. Most broadheads pass through at least mid-50’s to 70 layers; the Thorn only cut through low 40’s.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Your goal as an archery hunter is a complete pass through. For hogs my feeling is you need a heavy arrow...like 600gr and a strong fixed head that won't bend when it hits something substantial. Ranch Fairy shoots a ton of hogs. Check out his youtube channel. 400gr arrow on a hog is just not heavy enough. The shield on a big boar is easily 3/4" thick. And you want to pass through 2 of those
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><