Meanwhile in Texas...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

AJ01

Meanwhile in Texas...

Post by AJ01 »

Got up at 06:15 today. Heat Index was already 99 degrees. Welcome to the oven!! :wtf:
Square hay bales are averaging 25-30 dollars a bale for good horse hay. :eusa-doh:
There are roughly 27 squares in a round bale. As the summer progresses and hay production stops, I wonder if folks will be able to buy round bales at the prices that they'll run this fall?
We made the last cutting about a month ago. Hope we have enough to make the winter. Dang sure don't want to buy hay. :eusa-naughty:

I know this post isn't about hunting, but You have to understand the effect this heat has on wildlife. Especially deer and Turkey. No water. No browse, no food sources.
Young cannot take this heat. For well over a week now heat indexes have been triple digits every day. Last night at 21:00 hours, (9pm), it was still 92 outside.
I just looked at the 10 day forecast for my location. The coolest day will be next Thursday. It'll be a forecasted 93. :eusa-dance:

We have a week of Fall. A week of Winter. A week of Spring and the rest of the year is Summer!!
If ya plan to visit, I hope you pack your asbestos undies!!! :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Boo

Re: Meanwhile in Texas...

Post by Boo »

I remember years ago on a trip to Wyoming we saw an unbelievable number of transports loaded with hay coming from Ontario. No clue where they were going be we saw them in (if memory serves) Pensiltucky, Illinois and Iowa. It was a dry year.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

Same here in my part of Missouri,
bought some 80 lb. square bales
of mixed grass hay for $10.00 a bale,
that's high for this area, not looking good
for the winter as the hay fields are TOAST !
told my Wife , Horse steaks are pretty good
eating, Didn't go over too well :roll:

Dave
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Nuther day at the beach! Course we’re 250 miles from the coast.😎
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:53 pm
Nuther day at the beach! Course we’re 250 miles from the coast.😎
I was gonna ask was that the Beach at Possum Kingdom!!! :lol: :lol:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

papabear1 wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:22 pm
Same here in my part of Missouri,
bought some 80 lb. square bales
of mixed grass hay for $10.00 a bale,
that's high for this area, not looking good
for the winter as the hay fields are TOAST !
told my Wife , Horse steaks are pretty good
eating, Didn't go over too well :roll:

Dave
Yes Sir Mr. Dave... I'm afraid folks are gonna find it tough this winter. The last cutting yielded 63 rounds. !st cutting was better. I'm afraid we're gonna need it all, and then some.
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Boo wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:10 am
I remember years ago on a trip to Wyoming we saw an unbelievable number of transports loaded with hay coming from Ontario. No clue where they were going be we saw them in (if memory serves) Pensiltucky, Illinois and Iowa. It was a dry year.
Don, we saw prices a few years back where rounds were $150 a round. I thought that was insane. I'm afraid they'll hit $200 this fall/winter. We ended up buying hay that year. Swore I'd never be caught short again.
I feel sorry for the guys in west Texas. There's never enough out there to start with.
Last edited by AJ01 on Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
janesy

Post by janesy »

here in Ontario, we are for the most part dry. Northen Ontario and Quesbec are still burning, its now looking like a woodstove haze in the mornings near me, you can see smoke, not just haze now nealy all hours of the day. we are under a fire ban.

however, this has been the wettest year I can remember at the same time. this is the current water table at my property...

Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Chris,
I feel for you guys too. Wildfires are a terrible thing.

Officials on Friday reported 106 active fires in Quebec. To the west, Alberta had the second-highest number of active blazes with 101 while British Columbia, along Canada's west coast, had 95.

I pray you guys get rain quickly!! :angel:
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

We are at the beach and its miserable. The fishing is kind of slow because the shallow water is 91 degrees. The outdoor pool water temperature is 94 degrees. There's not a lot of acorns or other natural food in abundance. I guess the good part of that is that the deer are readily coming to corn that is put out. I hope it cools off soon so we can get some hunting in. Teal season in Sept. was interesting since I was in a T-shirt, shorts and flip-flops in the blind. Dove hunting was about the same!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Well, if it isn't "XB I GO"!

Glad to see you back on the Forum. Hope you and yours had a great summer. :thumbup:
I guess you are ready for bow season? :eusa-think:
Normous

Post by Normous »

Man, that's hot , way too hot!

We have our CDN Thanksgiving this weekend and it looking like a cooler temperature weekend as well. Patti and I head out the door shortly to deer hunt for a couple days. The deer are regularly on cam and hope to see them this weekend.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

….TPRNJ and upstate NY is looking better and better…just drove up this morning in the rain…have to do break in fires with the new wood burning stove….57 degrees…temp to drop into the 40’s tonight…will be thinking of you guys in Hell!
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Too hot here too..gonna cool down on Monday so we will see.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

amythntr wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:21 am
….TPRNJ and upstate NY is looking better and better…just drove up this morning in the rain…have to do break in fires with the new wood burning stove….57 degrees…temp to drop into the 40’s tonight…will be thinking of you guys in Hell!
Thanks Anthony!! :lol: :lol: :lol: