OT?/ Drought

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

grouse

OT?/ Drought

Post by grouse »

So far in July, we have only had about 1/2" of rain at my northeast MO farm. This after below normal rainfall in April, May and June. Rain is in the forecast frequently, but it always dries up or goes around us. Creeks have stopped flowing, ponds are shrinking and the ground is as hard as concrete. I'm especially worried about the creeks not flowing because the stagnant water can lead to an increase in the population of midges that spread a deadly disease in deer. I'm also concerned about our corn crop which is stressed and won't produce much of a yield unless it rains a lot and soon.

Missouri is probably worse off than most of the midwest, but it looks like it is drier than normal in lots of the region. Soon it will be too late to save the crops, and right now, there isn't much rain in the forecast. At least it hasn't been terribly hot here.
axiom
350 SE
wheelsquad

Re: OT?/ Drought

Post by wheelsquad »

Similar where I am at in MN. We went from May 1st until mid-July with less than 1" of rain. Finally got some measurable rains this past week though, but it is too little too late for all of the crops. Some seeds that were planted early May didn't even germinate.
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

No rain, extreme heat and no relief in sight. That's the forecast for Texas.
I have a small vegetable garden for me and "The Boss", but that would have burnt up a long time ago except for the two rainbirds located at each end. They get ran about every 3rd day. It's the only reason the garden has survived.
Hay fields? Forget it. 2 cuttings of the 40-acre field, that was it! The other just got cut once. That's about a 3rd less than normal. Hope winter ain't bad. :eusa-doh:

We have been watering the deer for almost 2 months now. At least back in the spring we were able to get into one of the places and dig out a creek that has a spring in it. Even now it's holding water in deep pools. :eusa-dance:

It says we have a 30% chance of rain Saturday, that means there's a 70% chance it won't rain Saturday!! :wtf: :lol:
After that, it's HOT and DRY for the next 10 days at least!!

Y'all stay cool out there!! And HURRY UP WINTER!!!!! :thumbup: :lol: :mrgreen:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

It's bad here is SE Wis too. Hot and no rain.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Meanwhile in Southern Ontario I am almost getting too much rain . The sump pump is going off still for the basement meaning my water table is at Spring level for here .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

Same here DM. Rain rain rain. Our corn is stunted from lack of sunshine. I planted it just before Memorial Day and it's only about a foot high. Usually by this time we're experiencing drought conditions and conserving water....not this year!

https://www.newscentermaine.com/article/weather/weather-blog/maine-weather-forecast-july-june-rain-temps-summer/97-5db2310e-447d-4499-80c7-ac4e462d69f6

Here's hoping everyone gets the rain they need, and that we get some sun!

Take care everyone
Corey
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

We got a good rain last night! First time in a long time.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Rain?
What is Rain? :wtf:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
grouse

Post by grouse »

I think our farm got a good rain yesterday also (based on radar). I'll go up in a couple of days and check. I haven't mowed up there since mid June. Maybe I'll need to this week. Strangely, I've had to mow about once a week at my home in the St. Louis suburbs, about 90 miles south of my farm. A small area around here is one of a very few places in Missouri that have had adequate rainfall this summer.
axiom
350 SE
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

AJ01 wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:21 pm
Rain?
AJ, Its that wet stuff that will fall from the sky and leave puddles everywhere about a week before dove season starts so that you cant sit on a stock tank and slay them! 8) Till then......
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:43 pm
AJ01 wrote:
Rain?
AJ, Its that wet stuff that will fall from the sky and leave puddles everywhere about a week before dove season starts so that you cant sit on a stock tank and slay them! 8) Till then......
Paul, ain't that the truth!! Never fails. Got a buddy that has 640 acres down near Waco. All pastureland, but it has a nice tank in the middle of it with Mesquites all around. He runs cows on it but man It's a true "honey hole" for those little winged rascals.
We had a heat index of 107 yesterday, supposed to be even hotter today!!
I'm ready for winter!! :thumbup:
flightattendant100

AJ01 wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:20 am
flightattendant100 wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:43 pm
AJ01 wrote:
Rain?
Paul, ain't that the truth!! Never fails. Got a buddy that has 640 acres down near Waco. All pastureland, but it has a nice tank in the middle of it with Mesquites all around. He runs cows on it but man It's a true "honey hole" for those little winged rascals.
We had a heat index of 107 yesterday, supposed to be even hotter today!!
I'm ready for winter!! :thumbup:
When I closed up the shop at 3:00 this afternoon, it was 104° inside the shop.Metal building, no insulation in walls, minimal at roof. Oven!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Yes Sir!
I just looked at the weather forecast for the next 10 days.
None under a 100 for highs. Lows in the 80's!!
I'm ready for another Ice Age!!! :eusa-doh:
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

AJ01 wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:51 pm
Yes Sir!
45 F on my front porch thermometer right now. Warmest daytime high that is forecast for the next 14 days is a sweltering 75 F. Not been a hot or dry summer in my neck of the woods. Worst year i can remember in a long time for mosquitos.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
flightattendant100

Species8472 wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:57 am
AJ01 wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:51 pm
Yes Sir!
45 F on my front porch thermometer right now. Warmest daytime high that is forecast for the next 14 days is a sweltering 75 F. Not been a hot or dry summer in my neck of the woods. Worst year i can remember in a long time for mosquitos.
Joe, I’ll take a few of your mosquitoes for a bit of your 45° weather.😎