Mag Air stringing

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

canoe13

Mag Air stringing

Post by canoe13 »

I accidentally broke my factory string on my Mag Air so I ordered a couple of new ones.
But I just cannot get either of my new strings over the limb tips using my Excalibur or Danny Miller stringers. This was never a problem with all my previous Excals that had longer draw lengths. Any helpful tips would be appreciated.
Mag Air
Sig Sauer Romeo 5
Excalibur Quills
Tooth of the Arrow broadheads
Vixenmaster strings
Lonewolf McQuade

Re: Mag Air stringing

Post by Lonewolf McQuade »

Shorten the stringing aid.
You should see knots on the outter sides of the plastic pieces that go over tip of the limbs. Untie knots & pull an inch or so more of the rope through & retie knot close to plastic piece again on both sides. Keep doing so till you're able to get new string over limb tips.
canoe13

Post by canoe13 »

I have done that numerous times and still it is a no-go. I might try to tie a cord closer to the limb ends to get a longer pull on them
Mag Air
Sig Sauer Romeo 5
Excalibur Quills
Vixenmaster strings
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

canoe13 wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:14 am
I have done that numerous times and still it is a no-go. I might try to tie a cord closer to the limb ends to get a longer pull on them
Would like to see some pics. to see what your talking about

Dave :eusa-think:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

I've ran into that issue before as well on my 308 Short.

The 3 solutions I've come up with are first installing a longer string. Then reset the stringing aid shorter and finally install the new shorter string.

But my easiest way is to put the Micro front end on my Bulldog rail, and use the crank with the stringing aid, have no problem getting the limbs back just far enough that way.

The 3rd way I've done it is to remove the riser and strap it to my garage ceiling chain hoist, and anchor the stringing aid to something really heavy.
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Put stringing aid on bow and after it’s on, tighten it as much as possible. Then I think you can change it. Hopefully
Boo

Post by Boo »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:10 pm
Put stringing aid on bow and after it’s on, tighten it as much as possible. Then I think you can change it. Hopefully
The exact and only way it's going to get done. :thumbup:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

So the problem I have ran into, is even after pulling out all the loose slack after sliding the aid over the limbs, start pulling it back and you still take up over half the draw length just really cinching down the loops at the end of the aid. If limbs were fully removed and re-installed, by the time you get the string aid latched, the limbs are not back far enough to get a string on, usually. Especially with a tight new string.

There's no problem adjusting a string already installed, but on the shortest micro's and a new short string, I've pretty much had to resort to putting my front end on a longer rail. If I didn't have that BD400, I'd probably have just made a a simple 2x4 draw board and winch for these tasks.

Maybe I'll get a video showing the issue with these next time I do a limb swap or install a new flemish.

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Franken360
Boo

Post by Boo »

I know that with some stringing aid ropes, it takes a bit to get the creep out. What I've done is to loosen the rope going through the ends and yanked the part that goes across the bow, held it tight as I took out the slack from the rope going in and out of the ends. I don't normally use a stringing aid because I have an Apple Press.
flightattendant100

Boo wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:42 pm
I know that with some stringing aid ropes, it takes a bit to get the creep out. What I've done is to loosen the rope going through the ends and yanked the part that goes across the bow, held it tight as I took out the slack from the rope going in and out of the ends. I don't normally use a stringing aid because I have an Apple Press.
Don, on those Apple presses do you do anything different for Excalibur’s? I know Danny has told me I needed one.😁
Boo

Post by Boo »

Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:14 pm
Boo wrote:
Don, on those Apple presses do you do anything different for Excalibur’s? I know Danny has told me I needed one.😁
My Apple press is only used for recurve crossbows. I have a Last Chance and a Pac Press for compound crossbows and vertical compounds. Nothing is nearly as convenient for Excaliburs than an Apple press. I’m sure you can find a second hand Apple press somewhere and if you do, Danny can has an attachment for you that you’ll need.
flightattendant100

Boo wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:24 pm
Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:14 pm
Boo wrote:
My Apple press is only used for recurve crossbows. I have a Last Chance and a Pac Press for compound crossbows and vertical compounds. Nothing is nearly as convenient for Excaliburs than an Apple press. I’m sure you can find a second hand Apple press somewhere and if you do, Danny can has an attachment for you that you’ll need.
Thanks, Don
canoe13

Post by canoe13 »

I am going to try out Wheelsquad's suggestion with the chain hoist at work in the garage.
Mag Air
Sig Sauer Romeo 5
Excalibur Quills
Vixenmaster strings
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

Make sure you pull on the riser itself and not just the stirrup. Unless you want a bent stirrup. Ask me how I know 🤦‍♂️

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Franken360
canoe13

Post by canoe13 »

Well it worked great. I put a narrow nylon cinch strap around my riser with a loop tied in it and ran the stringer through a steel loop on our truck lift; hooked the strap loop to the chain hoist and easily pulled the bowlimbs down to put on a new string. Next time I might try a "home version. with a come-along or ratchet strap.
Thanks for the helpful advice.
Mag Air
Sig Sauer Romeo 5
Excalibur Quills
Vixenmaster strings