Which current model?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Species8472

Which current model?

Post by Species8472 »

So in the market for a new bow. What i want is the most reliable and accurate model currently on the market. Price is not a concern. Speed is not really a factor as they are all fast enough. That being said all else equal i would chose a faster bow if accuracy and reliability are not a concern. Let's hear your thoughts.

I know this is an excal forum but i am not averse to considering a model from another company if you think there are good options. Intended use is big game hunting only from both the ground and a climber. Target shooting will be limited to zeroing and periodic zero checks.
Last edited by Species8472 on Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Carnivorous

Re: Which current model?

Post by Carnivorous »

So many choices. :D

For Excalibur it would be the Assassin extreme in flat dark earth.

Non Excalibur would be the Scorpyd Deathstalker or Tremor. We have a Scorpyd dealer in Canada with top notch service in the rare event that you would need it.
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

My choice would be the scorpyd with an Excalibur backup. If I were you I'd go and try out as many bows as possible and see what fits you. Every person is different. Good luck.
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

agingcrossbower wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:22 am
My choice would be the scorpyd with an Excalibur backup. If I were you I'd go and try out as many bows as possible and see what fits you. Every person is different. Good luck.
Excellant advice :thumbup:

Dave
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

I'd go the new Wolverine or Micro Extreme. Those models with the HO Limbs at 360 fps are barely feeling it compared to what those same limbs are doing on a 400TD or A400EX.
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360
Boo

Post by Boo »

A lot of the new and faster non Excaliburs are a bit of a handful. I would not own a compound crossbow without a press. I would also not own a crossbow that you can't get parts for and who's manufacturer doesn't sell parts. Both Scorpyd and Mission are pretty reliable bows but there are issues. Mission's faster bow still have limb problems and their slower bows are good. With both, timing and ATA can be adjusted without a press but I still would want a press. Scorpyd is a good bow if you're under the wing of Norm who is the Canadian distributor but there are some changes going on and I don't know what their end game is about. I won't buy another Scorpyd (I've owned quite a few) because of the screwing courtesy of Jim Kempf (the company owner). Killer Instinct has some nice bows. Their Killer Instinct's Swat line up of bows are an amazing bow. The feature a fully enclosed barrel which virtually eliminates archer's paradox. The X1 is a true 100 yard target bow. I recently bought a Killer Instinct Vital X that is rated at 405 ft/sec and is a very narrow compound crossbow. Killer Instinct's bows are inexpensive bows with lifetime warranties.
What I think you should look at is the Micro 380 because it is very similar in speed to what you're shooting now. I have one and it is definitely worth a look.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

wheelsquad wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:39 am
I'd go the new Wolverine or Micro Extreme. Those models with the HO Limbs at 360 fps are barely feeling it compared to what those same limbs are doing on a 400TD or A400EX.
X 2, but don't sleep on the Micro 380. Once you see how far a 400TD stretches the HO limbs :shock: , you'll realize that you won't have to worry about limb issues on a Micro 380 or 360 series. Those HO limbs are beefy where it matters.

If you're not planning on target shooting and will mainly be using it for hunting, the Micro 380 is a beast and may be the best bet. Not that the 380 can't target shoot, its as accurate as any of the others. But the Micro 380 is a man's Micro. A grown man, with big arms. :lol: Cocking it is not for the faint of heart. It's a stiff pull. Tossing 30 arrows during a 3D course would be quite a workout and you'd probably spend a lot of time trying to find the arrows that passed through.

I gifted my Micro 380 to my younger brother as an upgrade from his Mag 340 and pick myself up a Wolverine. It is a bit easier to cock and still has plenty of speed. The slightly lower draw weight will help extend serving life as the heavier draw weights will wear servings quicker. Then there's the MO Bottomland Camo. Now my bow matches my outfit. :)

It's hard to go wrong with any of the 360 or 380 Micros with the HO limbs.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol: