Broadheads.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Knight

Broadheads.

Post by Knight »

Currently using 150 grain Boltcutters. Micro 335.

I have shot a few mature bucks with them, and they have worked well although blood trails have not been that good. Never lost a deer, as most have fallen in sight, but blood trail seems to be a little sparse most times.

Just wondering what others are using. I am not comfortable with mechanicals and I want to stick with fixed blades.

Thanks in advance.
Normous

Re: Broadheads.

Post by Normous »

150 grain 4 blade Tooth of the Arrow gives you one extra blade cutting surface in a compact well flying head. More blades equals more cutting surface and potential better blood trails depending on impact location.
I use the TOTA as a fixed and SWAT for mechanical choices when I hunt.
1" and 1 3/16" 4 blade versions available from this US manufacturer.
1" solid in photo below.
I'm local in Ontario if your interested in TOTA. PM.

EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Knight

Post by Knight »

PM sent, thanks.
Boo

Post by Boo »

You can punch a good hole in a deer and depending on where the hole is, you may get a sparse blood trail. A low exit like from a high tree stand is good for blood but from a ground blind unless you puncture the heart or hit the lungs good and low, you won’t get an immediate blood trail until the the lungs fill up some. I my blind is about 13’ and a deer shot 40 yds away doesn’t give me a much of a blood trail until after a 40 yards.
It is not uncommon to hear complaints of sparse blood trails from Bolt Cutters but people are generally happy with their kills
Some people just like stepping on rakes
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

The 150gr. TOTA's work well. Tough head. I used one on a Barasingha last fall. She didn't go 30 yards after impact.
The head was on one of Norman's Custom Made Arrows as well. Great Combo!!
For reference this gal is/was the size of an Elk.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
grouse

Post by grouse »

This subject reminds me of discussions I've seen on which rifle caliber is best for whitetails. The truth (as far as I'm concerned) is all (or nearly all) of them. Anything from a .243 (maybe a .223 or .222) up to a .300 mag.is close to equal. The key for all of them is making a good shot. The same is true of broadheads. I've killed deer with Boltcutters, Slicktricks and Xacts. As long as I put the arrow through the heart or lungs, the result is about the same. Give the deer a little time (if you don't see or hear the deer drop) and go find a dead deer not too far away. Make sure the head is sharp and shoots accurately from your bow and you're ready to go.
axiom
350 SE
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

I agree with you Grouse, but the OP stated he wanted to stay with a good fixed.
That's why I mentioned the success I had with the TOTA's.
I myself have killed a ton of deer sized game with Swhacker 207's in 100gr.
Point is, like you stated, it depends more on "where" you shoot them than "what" you shoot them with!! :mrgreen: :lol: :wink:
I'd bet more deer are poached with a .22 caliber rimfire every year than taken with a broadhead of any kind.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
janesy

Post by janesy »

I have yet to shoot an animal with the TOTA. But I will add I have not found a fixed head that flies are consistently as they do. They are a good head.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

People think that l hate fixed blades ...totally untrue l only criticize the small cut ones.
For years l used the rothaar snuffer/ Simmons sharks/intercepter with great success and big blood trails but these were heavy and a big cut.
Using them was a whole different ball game out of a 800 grain 30 inch arrow shaft wit a four fletched 6 inch helical and don't forget barely exceeding 200 fps.
Getting these behemoths to shoot good out of a crossbow can be challenging.
Once you go from a say 3 blade boltcutter to something like a slick trick that extra blade on the slick trick really is important in my eyes.
More cut more blood it really dosnt get that complicated if your using any 300 fps plus crossbow pennitration really isn't an issue I the case of a deer with any broadhead fixed or expandable.
If you can get a fixed blade to fly well out of your crossbow at your hunting range that's awesome.
Years ago l was using the ramcat...great killer head till l was shooting it on a windy day and saw how terrible they flew in the wind.
I was able to put any of my expandables in a 3 inch circle in the same wind shot after shot in the terrible wind.
I don't know about you guys but l love hunting on them nasty windy fall days when the deer are running rutting l don't want to worry if my broadheads gonna steer like a stuntplane at an air show or ask God to stop the wind till l shoot.
I shoot multiple crossbows and the same fixed blades are in my catquiver and they all shoot the same from all my bows.
That's golden to me.
Just shoot whatever head you choose in the calm and the gusty winds and make your own wise choice because confidence in your broadhead and setup is of most important thing of all.
If l ever choose a fixed again gonna have 4 blades and a big cut.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

I started out using 150 grain Boltcutters and killed quite a few deer with them, but I never got a very good blood trail. I bought some second hand Carbon Express XT4 heads to try. They shot really well, so I started hunting with them and am exponentially happier.

My son wanted to try Tooth of the Arrow heads and bought some, and either the first or second shot had a blade break on one of them. I’m less than impressed.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I believe the tooth of arrow have a decent warranty you should look into that for the price of them
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
janesy

Post by janesy »

One thing to mention when selecting a 3 vs 4 blade cut.
The cut on a 3 blade cut creates a triangle shaped wound, if you can imagine the outer most points of the cut connected by an invisible line.
Similarly, the 4 blade will creat a square.

Square are weak and any point that you push on will ultimately result in at least 2 wound channels being forced open, or not able close, whichever why you look at it. Triangles on the other hand are strong and require considerably more force move, or to open and hold open.
If you can create a wound channels that opens easier on movent and closer far more difficult, you should at least consider exploring that option. Because remember, that theory of geometry applies to everything cut in the path of that head.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

AJ01 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:53 am
The 150gr. TOTA's work well. Tough head. I used one on a Barasingha last fall. She didn't go 30 yards after impact.

....Andy, who is that scary, mean dude in the picture?
Last edited by amythntr on Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....I know Paul Armetta was always a big fan of the Toxic BH's....from what I read they are pretty good but for the durability of the blades hitting bones etc....they fly accurately, had great cutting and penetration....and with the curved blades there is a great deal of cutting surface as the arra spins through the meat of the dear.....

.....anybody currently use them? Not that I am looking to change from my tried and true Spit's but am curious about possibly trying this fixed blade option.
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

amythntr wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:12 am
AJ01 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:53 am

....Andy, who is that scary, mean dude in the picture?
That Dear Anthony,
That is MY sweet, loveable, understanding, gentle, kind and compassionate SELF!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I am surprised I didn't break the camera!! :eusa-doh: :mrgreen: :lol: