First with the Wolverine

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

First with the Wolverine

Post by DuckHunt »

After an eleven year hiatus from using any vertical bow, my shoulder finally decided I've healed enough to give it a go. I've been out twice with a compound bow and twice with a traditional recurve. I was at full draw once with the compound, but decided to pass on the shot. Yesterday I decided it was high time to break out the Wolverine during this doe only gun season.

My trail cams have informed me that about 80F degrees is the movement point for the deer around here. I get very few deer pics when temps exceed that. It was 84F when I left the house, but I knew it would drop below that around sunset less than two hours later.

I was trying an entirely new ambush location. The landowner has suggested for years that I set up right off of his driveway in the afternoon because deer are always around. I finally decided to take the advice. His driveway runs from an open field/pasture in between two small patches of woods and opens up into his front yard. The area between the woods is about 100 yards long and it is about 40 yards across. When the deer wander from his front yard through this bottleneck out towards the open fields just before dark, they offer an excellent ambush opportunity if you play the wind right and are set up in the woods on either side. It's plenty thick on both sides to hide both deer and hunter.

I was in place about 90 minutes before sunset on what I hoped would be the downwind side. Mother nature was pulling my chain shifting the wind direction from time to time. I wasn't there 20 minutes and I had two doe in his front yard just over 60 yards out. Except for a ten minute period when the deer ran into the woods when the landowners wife drove through, I had deer visible for the remainder of the hunt. When the deer came out of the woods the last time, they were within bow range of my truck. :roll: Eventually there were three feeding under oaks about 60 yards away. A nice doe and two younger ones. It wasn't until about ten minutes after sunset that they finally decided to make their way through the gap out toward the open field. I had my choice of them. The large doe hugged the far woodline providing a shot of about 42 yards. The younger ones were passing at 28 yards. I opted for one of the tender ones with the closer shot. The shot was true but a few inches back because I didn't try to stop them as they walking and it was extremely quiet. All three bolted back toward my truck upon the shot. :thumbup: The one that was hit stopped after about 40 yards and was looking labored to turn into the woods. She only made it about five yards into the woods.

The Tooth of the Arrow left a pretty easy to follow blood trail that didn't really start for maybe 20 yards. Then it looked like you pulled the drain plug.

She was a small one, but I'm following orders that the missus prefers them that way.

At least for the remainder of the early doe only gun season, I'll be trying to fill a tag with a vertical bow. Then when archery season starts in October I'll be ready with the Wolverine to score a buck. Now I just need to put on the Lumenoks and Tactacam as I was equipped with neither on this impromptu hunt. I'll likely pay for that mistake as I'll be returning a few times to search for that arrow. Apparently reflective wraps alone ain't enough.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Hatchet

Re: First with the Wolverine

Post by Hatchet »

Congratulations Duckhunt! Excellent write up too!
Score 1 for the Wolverines!🤣
Take care
Hatchet
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats on the great eater!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

Congrats DH :thumbup: :thumbup:
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Oh ya way to get it done!
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Congrats on a fine job and great eats!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Congratulations!👍
Some people just like stepping on rakes
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Congratulations it's pretty warm here also I'm sure it was a rush to get that carcass cooled
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
grouse

Post by grouse »

Nice going! I enjoyed reading the play by play of your hunt.
axiom
350 SE
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Congratulations on the harvest the does are great table fair !
Thanks for posting your hunt i enjoyed reading it .
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Landowner knows best :thumbup: Always take his advice.

Good luck finding your arrow. It has taken me a few search trips to find my lost arrow before. Sometimes I wonder where the heck they go :eusa-think:
Congratulations !!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Congrats! Meat in the freezer!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Nice job DH! Congrats on the Freezer Queen!! No meat like Doe meat!!! :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
ODH

Post by ODH »

The veal of the deer world, congrats!
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

Nice shootin!
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360