Got it bad?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

Got it bad?

Post by DuckHunt »

Robinsons Rebel wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:31 pm
The closer it gets, the more my neck swells.
:lol:

This weekend looks like a total rain out for a lot of us on the East coast. With the expectations for rain, I'd like to have a fresh deer to turn into sausage this weekend. I want one bad, but not so badly that I'd carry my rifle. There's something about the challenge of archery that keeps my attention.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
longbow joe

Re: Got it bad?

Post by longbow joe »

[url=https://postimg.cc/62SCmdyc]Image
Yep...gonna rain all weekend...lots a time to hunt were not gonna burn out ....
In my 48 years of hunting l got 90 percent of my bigger bucks from October 15 till November 12th and mainly Halloween week till November 12th.
There's other things to do...lm making beef /chicken snack sticks with micro minced jalapeno/red bell pepper and cherry tomatoes .
Yes no deer meat lol 😆 we give that to Bob he thinks deer meat is better than beef his mom probably drank and smoked when he was in the Belly and his taste buds were deformed.
Last edited by longbow joe on Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

Looks good Joe!!
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

[url=https://postimg.cc/cvqNQ49r]Image
All done smoked em with alder and apple chips ...its a Lotta work but very tasty.
At least l know what's in em...gotta be healthier than a slim jim for sure.
Almost 11 pm and still raining no hunting today.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
janesy

Post by janesy »

longbow joe wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:49 pm
[url=https://postimg.cc/62SCmdyc]Image
Yep...gonna rain all weekend...lots a time to hunt were not gonna burn out ....
In my 48 years of hunting l got 90 percent of my bigger bucks from October 15 till November 12th and mainly Halloween week till November 12th.
There's other things to do...lm making beef /chicken snack sticks with micro minced jalapeno/red bell pepper and cherry tomatoes .
Yes no deer meat lol 😆 we give that to Bob he thinks deer meat is better than beef his mom probably drank and smoked when he was in the Belly and his taste buds were deformed.
I think all of my bucks have landed within a day or two of Halloween as well.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

My father told me to keep a diary of my successful hunting and fishing days.
I actually did but life got to buisy and l ceased being an author.
Now at this time in life l really wish I did my mind dosnt remember every date and detail as before.
Most of all l wish l had the dates.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

longbow joe wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:17 pm
Now at this time in life l really wish I did my mind dosnt remember every date and detail as before.
Once I started hunting in a target rich area in 2004, I had to create a diary of sorts. I have a spreadsheet where I keep key details about every harvest. It's not a lot of information, but I do include a sentence with any unique detail that will help me remember that specific harvest. Since 2004 I have all of the dates. Prior to that I know the month but not certain on the date.

Regarding dates, I've harvested sixteen bucks with eight or more points. More than half (56%) were harvested 4-11 November. All of my bucks with ten or more points were harvested between Halloween and Nov 19th.

Nov 6-11, you just can't spend too much time in a stand around here.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
janesy

Post by janesy »

longbow joe wrote:
I started keeping a diary years ago to give to my kids to read when I kicked it. Stopped after a year. Really wish I had kept that up. I suppose it's never too late to fire it back up again
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Patcon

Post by Patcon »

I've kept a diary since I started hunting about 2015. No one in my family hunts and I've sort of had to learn on my own or through forums like this. I find it very helpful to read back through my notes of the last few years at the beginning of each season. I log every day I hunt am or pm the weather stats and the moon phase. I right down what I see and other details. I find that from late October to Thanksgiving is when I need to hunt. I rarely have success in December and hunting early season is tough because of the heat and bugs. This year I printed off a large scale calender and Im going to log all my camera hits to see if there's any rhythm or reason to the movement and to see if filling the feeder throws them off
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

janesy wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:04 pm
longbow joe wrote:
I started keeping a diary years ago to give to my kids to read when I kicked it. Stopped after a year. Really wish I had kept that up. I suppose it's never too late to fire it back up again
I tried the hunting log/journal/diary when I was a teenager. Lasted a year, maybe too. Was always too dang tired after a day of hunting, cause back then we hunted all day for all 9 days of firearm season.

So a few years back I created a Google 'My Maps' for each weapon type, of every deer I've ever killed, with a pin at the site of the shot, and whatever details I remembered from the time. Now that I have them established, super easy to remember to add a new pin for every deer I shoot.
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360
janesy

Post by janesy »

wheelsquad wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:48 pm
janesy wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:04 pm
longbow joe wrote:
I tried the hunting log/journal/diary when I was a teenager. Lasted a year, maybe too. Was always too dang tired after a day of hunting, cause back then we hunted all day for all 9 days of firearm season.

So a few years back I created a Google 'My Maps' for each weapon type, of every deer I've ever killed, with a pin at the site of the shot, and whatever details I remembered from the time. Now that I have them established, super easy to remember to add a new pin for every deer I shoot.
That's a good idea
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

Pretty awesome ! We're looking forward to some deer meat now that the weather cooled off a little.
Patcon

Post by Patcon »

This year I printed out a large format calendar and I sat down and logged all my game camera videos from Augustto now. Time, morning or evening, how many and moon phase. The results were interesting 80% were in the AM and most were gone by 8 AM. I like hunting in the morning but it tends to blow up the rest of the day. I tend to hunt in the evening because its convenient but I don't like tracking in the dark. I guess I will have to find some mornings to go. Afternoons aren't going to be worth the time
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Wife nearly ran over a huge buck by our house last night, now I'm getting excited! 8)
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Ohhh no not more body work Dan!!!
I sat tonight only saw one doe but it was very pleasant had a little chill in the air too. My dripper scrape is getting hammered I'm very excited too.
I ordered 200 "BUCKS " worth of hunting stuff in my treestand it was a great night.