Who is this Seller

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

Sorry guys, but volume = discounts. I don't care who's the manufacturer.
I'm in sales and we're a small operation (two sales people), but we get discounts that would make the big boys jealous! We're in a unique market segment and sell tons to some few, but very large customers. We are considered a "house account", that means no middle man or agent in between to take a cut. I know I can beat anyone in town with my pricing. We also do not have any overhead (office in the home). So no rent to include in our profit margin.

As an example, if someone comes around and buys 100 or more in one shot and has them drop shipped to his home, he will get a price that would make your head swim. Especially if you catch the manufacturer during a "slow" period.
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

I tend to believe bj over some who are saying otherwise but lets suppose what woodsman says is true. (I don't believe it is and I won't explain why :P)

why should a small high quality pro shop such as mine continue to sell a bow that some internet guy can sell for 40 bucks less than what I pay for it? why should I promote the bow in question when I could make more selling the inferior wheel bows?. You can't buy Hoyt, Mathews, Martin Pro Line etc from internet or mail order dealers -at least not legitimately. You can't go to Dick's or Bass Pro and buy a Protec Hoyt, a Mach 11 or a Martin Scepter III (or the current version of their top spot bow).

now before anyone gets upset, I again state that I don't think this guy on ebay is getting his stuff from excalibur
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Well, Jim, as long as he sells only a few bows on Ebay and the stuff isn't stolen, he's doing a favour to Excalibur and its retailers.

If his volume gets to the level that he is setting the standard as far as price is concerned, THEN there is a problem. In the meantime, he is just helping to create an appetite.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

its amazing how many people evade the clear point bj and I have made.

how is this guy getting bows that he can sell below what real retailers can buy them for
bj

Post by bj »

[quote="Woodsman"]Sorry guys, but volume = discounts. I don't care who's the manufacturer.
quote]

you're absolutely right, Pete...........discounts up to a "certain point"...if you are correct though, i should be able to call Excal. now (i'm sure this is one of their slow periods), and order a couple a hundred for next year at a unbelievable, rock bottom price far below any discounts that are currently available from volume buying...then i can blow everybody's price out of the water next year...oops, hello, is there anybody there, hello order desk ?????...man, i think they hung up on me... :wink:

- seriously, though not sure about the u.s., but in canada there are certain price structures and policies we all have to follow

Wayne...
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Jim C wrote:its amazing how many people evade the clear point bj and I have made.

how is this guy getting bows that he can sell below what real retailers can buy them for
Well so far no one has bid on the xbow, Jim C and bj per the e-bay web site this guy has a on line store and sells a little bit of everything.

http://stores.ebay.com/ScoobyGoodboy_W0 ... eZl2QQtZkm
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

this was true with the last vixen he sold-it sat at 259 until the last night and several bids it went up to basically what we pay wholesale for the same bow. I bet more than a few dealers may have been trying for it- :twisted:
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Folks...everybody is guessing what the Ebayer's wholesale cost might be. We don't know. He won't tell (I bet). Neither will Excalibur (I bet). Maybe he doesn't even buy from Excalibur.

I've seen lots of product on Ebay start out at $1.00. Sometimes the seller's strategy is to stir up excitement, hoping it sells higher than if the starting price is elevated.

Heck, I just bought a fishing reel off Ebay that started at a buck. It sure didn't END there!
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Image and he caught a big one with his bait :!: :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
brayhaven

Post by brayhaven »

Carl from Vermont wrote:Personally, I would'nt buy a roll of paper towels off of e-bay, let alone an x-bow. :lol:
/
Thanks Carl, You help keep the prices down for those of us who do :lol:
I've bought hundreds of things on Ebay and sold at least that many with only a couple disappointments. I have no idea the thousands I've saved (and made) there. My closest archery shop is 65 miles away & they don't do excal. I bought my exocet from a dealer about 100 miles away who matched ebay prices, even though I never asked him to. Ebay is IMO, a a great service to the remote living folks and those who want to make a buck on their own. It's also a great equalizer. I'm sure it's cost some small shops sales, but that's free enterprise. Just my dos centavos.
GS
GonHuntin

Post by GonHuntin »

Jim and BJ

I understand your point of view.......really!

If I was starting out as a bowhunter and NEEDED the help, then I could see the value in paying a 40% mark up to buy from a local dealer........that is *IF* my local dealer sold Excalibur, which he doesn't......since I have been shooting bows for 30+ years, and crossbows for at least 8, I don't really need the advice or help a local dealer can provide (I know more about crossbows than he does and I'd have to send it back myself if something was wrong that I couldn't fix!)........So, under those circumstances, I shop based on price alone......period! If I can buy the same bow and save $100, I'd be stupid not to save the $$$$$, wouldn't I?
Red Label

Post by Red Label »

BJ knows that I support him every chance I get. He knows I have turned a few bow deals his way and I've bought a few of my own from him directly.

However, when my buddy wanted to save a few bucks on a bow and we were able to get an Exomax for $514.00 CDN all taxes included, it was :shock: :shock: :shock: too good to resist. What he saved on this bow bought him a Varizone and mounts complete!

How Scoobygoodboy does it is anyone's guess, but if the bow arrives as advertised then who can argue? I would suggest that you dealers contact the factory to see what's up with this guy.

BTW - I'm not in the market for anything right now but I can assure you my next bow will be a Kolorfusion Exocet and BJ will get the order.

Mike
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

Just wondering are his prices on the Horton's low ball as well?
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

Jim C wrote:I tend to believe bj over some who are saying otherwise but lets suppose what woodsman says is true. (I don't believe it is and I won't explain why :P)

why should a small high quality pro shop such as mine continue to sell a bow that some internet guy can sell for 40 bucks less than what I pay for it? why should I promote the bow in question when I could make more selling the inferior wheel bows?. You can't buy Hoyt, Mathews, Martin Pro Line etc from internet or mail order dealers -at least not legitimately. You can't go to Dick's or Bass Pro and buy a Protec Hoyt, a Mach 11 or a Martin Scepter III (or the current version of their top spot bow).

now before anyone gets upset, I again state that I don't think this guy on ebay is getting his stuff from excalibur
anyone want to take a crack at answering this? the issue isn't the guy who wants to buy the bow at the lowest possible cost like gonbargainshopping.

the issue is the manufacturer, its wholesaler and its retailer relationships
Red Label

Post by Red Label »

Jim C,

I agree that you may have some legitimate beefs if someone can undercut you by so much. Until you find out how he's doing it or where his bows come from, you can't answer the distribution question.

The proper method for resolving your beef is not an internet forum IMHO. It's a direct call to the manufacturer/distributor.

Just my $0.02

Mike