Fun season so far but no big buck yet

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longbow joe

Fun season so far but no big buck yet

Post by longbow joe »

[url=https://postimg.cc/JHCg3B4b]Image
I have gotten 4 doe so far this year but no big buck .
The other night I saw this really nice buck he came right in to the decoy he was actually a 11 pointer with his extra tines but l felt l wouldn't be happy going with him having 3 weeks of regular season left and winter bow.
My one property is bow only so even in gun season you don't get the "scare factor "going on so the deer remain fairly calm.
It's been fairly warm here too with no gloves needed yet.
I'm gonna keep playing my hand.
I hope my brother crosses paths with him he's a nice buck.
I have become quite patient in my older age it sometimes surprises even me.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Normous

Re: Fun season so far but no big buck yet

Post by Normous »

No gloves, lucky you!
It was 26 F this am in Ontario and we had chemical handwarmer packs going.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

Glad you are having fun. That’s pretty darn important!!

Been warm here too. I wish it was cooler but not bitter cold.

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

longbow joe wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:54 pm
I have become quite patient in my older age it sometimes surprises even me.
You've got way more patience than I do. If I'm carrying archery gear, 8 points checks the box. 100" or more of antler (B&C/P&Y scoring) pretty much checks the box too. The only way I pass something that checks the box is if I KNOW of something much larger that I'm waiting on.

Take this morning, for example. I just needed to climb to the top of the mountain to swap a camera battery and add a freshly charged solar panel. I have a buck tag left, but really wanted to try out a new all copper bullet on a doe to be donated. I've got six doe tags left. This 8pt was feeding about 90y away at 7:25am this morning. He wasn't the doe I was after, but he checked the box.
He made a nice and heavy donation to the Virginia Hunters for the Hungry program.

If I had more patience like you, maybe I wouldn't be doing things that us tagged out hunters are doing right now. Making bonehead stew. :lol:
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

In PA we only have one buck tag ..l can kill a ton of doe but only one buck per year.
Nothing is worse the not being able to not take a trophy ...if you're mind doesn't have that instant "Holey shirt" impulse when it's walking ..its not worth shooting as far as I'm concerned.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
grouse

Post by grouse »

I get one archery buck tag and one firearms buck tag plus 3 firearms doe tags and 2 archery doe tags (all free as a landowner with 75 or more acres). I don't pass on anything legal (4pts on one side or antlerless) with my crossbow and I'll shoot any legal buck during firearms season. My needs are met with three deer so whether or not I shoot a doe with my rifle depends on if I have freezer space. I like big bucks but I'm basically a meat hunter.
axiom
350 SE
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

grouse wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:08 pm
I get one archery buck tag and one firearms buck tag plus 3 firearms doe tags and 2 archery doe tags (all free as a landowner with 75 or more acres). I don't pass on anything legal (4pts on one side or antlerless) with my crossbow and I'll shoot any legal buck during firearms season. My needs are met with three deer so whether or not I shoot a doe with my rifle depends on if I have freezer space. I like big bucks but I'm basically a meat hunter.
Yep meat first!

Had an excellent back strap steak dinner last night from this guy. Absolutely delicious!!

A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I shoot first and ask questions later. :eusa-popcorn:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!