OT \ Battery chainsaws

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

grouse

OT \ Battery chainsaws

Post by grouse »

I've had a Stihl Farm Boss chainsaw for over 20 years, and it still runs about as well as it did when new. A couple of years ago I bought a battery powered pole saw and I really like how you just keep the battery charged and cut away. You do need bar oil (just like gasoline saws) but, other than that, you just pull the trigger and cut. Much less noise and no trouble getting it to start after a long period of no use.

I recently bought an Ego battery chainsaw with an 18" bar. I've used it three times now and I'm ready to get rid of my Stihl. No gasoline, no worries about starting it, much less noise and it cuts as long as I need it to on one charge (it's had a lot of charge left every time I was finished using it).

I'm not a heavy user. I use a chainsaw to cut firewood for our wood burning stove, to clear fallen trees on a couple of trails through the woods and for bigger trees when clearing shooting lanes around deer stands. I think I'm done with gasoline saws.
axiom
350 SE
gerald strine

Re: OT \ Battery chainsaws

Post by gerald strine »

I have the Ego 16 inch Battery Saw and I also love it I bought it last spring and used it on several storm damage trees and clearing out hunting spots for shooting lanes and I can not find anything to not like about it .
I am going to get a extra battery someday off e bay the prices are better than i can get in town.
I have been let down buy enough gas saws to really appreciate the battery electric saw, especially when you are in woods clearing tree stands.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I've been sucked into the Dewalt 20v line of tools and have the 12" chainsaw and the 8" pole saw. I've been quite impressed with the 12" chainsaw. With a pair of 6ah batteries, I can cut wood until I'm tired of it. Most of the time I'm using a chainsaw, this one with a smaller bar will do the job just fine.

I save the gas saws for the big tasks.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

love my 20 volt max stable, i have many of the tools including pole and 12" chainsaw they do everything needed for me
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
Boo

Post by Boo »

I have a Stihl cordless chain saw and pole saw but there are quite a few big trees on my property, some of them are 2' and 3' at the base. I also have the odd one 4' at the base. On rare occasion, I've needed a second chain saw because the cordless got pinched and I couldn't get a wedge in. I could carry an extra bar and chain to get myself out of that situation but it is nice to have my Farm Boss for that and the bigger trees. If you are just doing smaller trees, cordless is the way to go!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

grouse wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:49 pm
I've had a Stihl Farm Boss chainsaw for over 20 years, and it still runs about as well as it did when new. A couple of years ago I bought a battery powered pole saw and I really like how you just keep the battery charged and cut away. You do need bar oil (just like gasoline saws) but, other than that, you just pull the trigger and cut. Much less noise and no trouble getting it to start after a long period of no use.

I recently bought an Ego battery chainsaw with an 18" bar. I've used it three times now and I'm ready to get rid of my Stihl. No gasoline, no worries about starting it, much less noise and it cuts as long as I need it to on one charge (it's had a lot of charge left every time I was finished using it).

I'm not a heavy user. I use a chainsaw to cut firewood for our wood burning stove, to clear fallen trees on a couple of trails through the woods and for bigger trees when clearing shooting lanes around deer stands. I think I'm done with gasoline saws.
Better hang on to the gas saw Mr. G.

Dave :)
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods