New TOTA 3 blade broadhead

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

XB I GO

Re: New TOTA 3 blade broadhead

Post by XB I GO »

, I expect to just re-sharpen it with my little diamond impregnated file and go hunting.
[/quote]

It's not that easy. I spent over 35 minutes on one blade sharpening it to "shaving sharp" and that was out of the package. After a kill, the edge was rolled and had a divot. I had to use a file and still go through the sharpening sequence. Nice BH but not for me. There are others that come sharper, are easier to sharpen and a bit cheaper too.
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

XB I GO wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:08 am
, I expect to just re-sharpen it with my little diamond impregnated file and go hunting.
It's not that easy. I spent over 35 minutes on one blade sharpening it to "shaving sharp" and that was out of the package. After a kill, the edge was rolled and had a divot. I had to use a file and still go through the sharpening sequence. Nice BH but not for me. There are others that come sharper, are easier to sharpen and a bit cheaper too.
[/quote]

I know this is about TOTA heads but to me the VPA 3 blade is much easier to resharpen. The 150's sing out of my Micros. Just another point of view.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

DuckHunt wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:09 pm
Let's take them for a test drive. The package:

Weighed the three heads on a scale. 98.5, 98.4 and 97.5. Not the worst I've seen, but a little shy of the 100gr. They were plenty sharp out of the package. I also checked the blade thickness and found it appears to be the same for the 3-blade as on the 4-blade models at around 0.040" on these 100gr heads.

I tossed a few arrows to confirm/correct my zero at 20y, then tossed these three field tips as the control group. These are new arrows that haven't been through the culling process yet. By hunting season, they'll all hit the small dots at 20y or they don't make the quiver.

I screwed a 3-blade TOTA on each of the three arrows one at a time and sent it. Below is the third shot and you can see the hits from the other two. The best I can tell, these fly like my field tips.

Just for grins, I screwed on a 4-blade TOTA XL vented on one of the same arrows and sent it into a fresh target.

Here is a picture of the 4-blade vented XL and the new 3-blade, both in 100gr.

Overall, I think the 3-blade is going to be a great option for a lot of hunters. For my Excalibur's, I'll keep shooting the 4-blade models and more likely the standard 1" because in my opinion it strikes the best balance between deadly and accurate. But I really like the smaller 'tanto' chisel tip on the 3-blade. Between the smaller tip and one less blade, it should penetrate better than the 4-blade standard even though it has 1/8" wider cut. I'm seriously considering putting this in my quiver for my traditional bow.

The most impressive thing about this broadhead to me is how easy it is to sharpen. It was sharp out of the box, but was certainly not hunting sharp after 8-10 shots into a blob target. I pulled out a set of stones, layed it flat, and put 10 strokes on each side. I repeated with the next finer stone. Within a few minutes, I believe I had it sharper than it was coming out of the package. Look at that edge shine.

The 3-blade isn't as compact as the 4-blade models, but this too should help provide increased penetration.
Are these stainless? Just curious as carbon steel is much easier to sharpen. ( and I have diamond and ceramic flat stones😁)
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:47 am
Are these stainless? Just curious as carbon steel is much easier to sharpen. ( and I have diamond and ceramic flat stones😁)
They are carbon steel, not stainless. With the right gear, you can get these crazy sharp. The 3-blade is real easy to sharpen. Just lay each side on a flat stone and slide it across.

On the flip side, since they aren't stainless they will rust if stored wet/bloody.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

DuckHunt wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:20 am
flightattendant100 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:47 am
They are carbon steel, not stainless. With the right gear, you can get these crazy sharp. The 3-blade is real easy to sharpen. Just lay each side on a flat stone and slide it across.

On the flip side, since they aren't stainless they will rust if stored wet/bloody.
I sharpen chisels and planes every week at least. I have stones. Carbon is my preference. Thanks much
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

grouse wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:12 am
I switched to mechanicals (X-Acts) a few years ago and I've been mostly glad. They fly well and left short, easily followed blood trails. My only problem with them is they aren't easy to re-use. After shooting one, you have to find replacement parts and then hope you re-assembled the head correctly so there is no mishap on a shot at a deer or turkey.

I'm ready to invest in a package of these Tooth of the Arrow heads. When I shoot one of these, I expect to just re-sharpen it with my little diamond impregnated file and go hunting. The four bladed model is probably what I'll go with. Cutting north, south, east and west seems like a slight advantage over the three bladed variety.
I would love to go with the 3 blade But,
I promise you on a pass thru, it would
hit a rock and be ruined, :x
and at that price it is not freezable. :thumbdown:

Dave
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads