New TOTA 3 blade broadhead

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Carnivorous

New TOTA 3 blade broadhead

Post by Carnivorous »

New tooth of the arrow 3 blade broadhead in 100 and 125gr.

Perfect for recurve crossbows!

A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
papabear1

Re: New TOTA 3 blade broadhead

Post by papabear1 »

How many in a package ??

Dave :eusa-think:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
Normous

Post by Normous »

Love the bone busting Tonto tip!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

A great head for sure but I will stick to my 4 blade 1 1/8 in cut over a 3 blade 1 1/8 head.
I think it is moregooderer :)
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

papabear1 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:36 pm
How many in a package ??

3 in a pack..
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

The performance of the 4-blade has been superb for me. The 3-blade may be a little more forgiving for folks that don't have a great arrow setup. It should get better penetration as well. It could be an awesome choice for lighter arrows or slower bows. I like the ability resharpen on any flat stone. That tip looks nice.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

Carnivorous wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:40 pm
papabear1 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:36 pm
How many in a package ??

3 in a pack..
:thumbup:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
grouse

Post by grouse »

I switched to mechanicals (X-Acts) a few years ago and I've been mostly glad. They fly well and left short, easily followed blood trails. My only problem with them is they aren't easy to re-use. After shooting one, you have to find replacement parts and then hope you re-assembled the head correctly so there is no mishap on a shot at a deer or turkey.

I'm ready to invest in a package of these Tooth of the Arrow heads. When I shoot one of these, I expect to just re-sharpen it with my little diamond impregnated file and go hunting. The four bladed model is probably what I'll go with. Cutting north, south, east and west seems like a slight advantage over the three bladed variety.
axiom
350 SE
Longbow42

Post by Longbow42 »

Not really sure why they came out with this version as there are already numerous machined 3 blade heads out there and this offers nothing more that I can see. Their 4 blade does however differentiate them. My only issue is that they put most of the weight in the ferrule and I have had their blades bend/break on harder hits. Would like to see thicker blades. They did the same with their 3 blade. VPA's are hard to beat and they offer vented and 1 1/4" models, unless you want to spend $500 on a 3 pack, which I saw this week from another manufacturer.
nchunter

Post by nchunter »

Longbow42 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:32 pm
My only issue is that they put most of the weight in the ferrule and I have had their blades bend/break on harder hits.
I’ve had that happen too. A blade sheared right off when the arrow went through the deer and into the ground. Surprised me; I thought, being machined out of a solid piece of steel, that wouldn’t happen. I was using the 175-grain model and you’re right, most of the weight is in the ferrule.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

That's a fair price for something new, been paying that or more for a few years now. One piece of machined steel is as fail proof as you can get in my opinion.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Let's take them for a test drive. The package:

Weighed the three heads on a scale. 98.5, 98.4 and 97.5. Not the worst I've seen, but a little shy of the 100gr. They were plenty sharp out of the package. I also checked the blade thickness and found it appears to be the same for the 3-blade as on the 4-blade models at around 0.040" on these 100gr heads.

I tossed a few arrows to confirm/correct my zero at 20y, then tossed these three field tips as the control group. These are new arrows that haven't been through the culling process yet. By hunting season, they'll all hit the small dots at 20y or they don't make the quiver.

I screwed a 3-blade TOTA on each of the three arrows one at a time and sent it. Below is the third shot and you can see the hits from the other two. The best I can tell, these fly like my field tips.

Just for grins, I screwed on a 4-blade TOTA XL vented on one of the same arrows and sent it into a fresh target.

Here is a picture of the 4-blade vented XL and the new 3-blade, both in 100gr.

Overall, I think the 3-blade is going to be a great option for a lot of hunters. For my Excalibur's, I'll keep shooting the 4-blade models and more likely the standard 1" because in my opinion it strikes the best balance between deadly and accurate. But I really like the smaller 'tanto' chisel tip on the 3-blade. Between the smaller tip and one less blade, it should penetrate better than the 4-blade standard even though it has 1/8" wider cut. I'm seriously considering putting this in my quiver for my traditional bow.

The most impressive thing about this broadhead to me is how easy it is to sharpen. It was sharp out of the box, but was certainly not hunting sharp after 8-10 shots into a blob target. I pulled out a set of stones, layed it flat, and put 10 strokes on each side. I repeated with the next finer stone. Within a few minutes, I believe I had it sharper than it was coming out of the package. Look at that edge shine.

The 3-blade isn't as compact as the 4-blade models, but this too should help provide increased penetration.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Normous

Post by Normous »

That is smoking fast....

I'm a dealer for TOTA and don't have my.3 blades yet.

Living in Canada probably has something to do with that.

I appreciate you providing your early thoughts and test reports. I put a big value on that.

Thank you!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Great review!
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Looks like a winner to me great post.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.