Canning Venison ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gerald strine

Canning Venison ?

Post by gerald strine »

I am interested in trying to can some venison I like the idea of having shelf stable reserves in case of long power outages and just another table option.
I have herd it is very good but have not tasted any myself and was wondering if any one here has any experience with it ?
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
flightattendant100

Re: Canning Venison ?

Post by flightattendant100 »

Maybe some of the older member will chime in. It was a pretty hot topic a few years ago ( you can probably search for it) I canned some. It worked and meat is super tender.
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

You need some newfs to chime in. Newfie bottled moose, rabbit or seal (limit of my experience) is awesome. Put it on crackers and few things can rival it. Damn been a few years - gonna have to look up my buds in T'bay and stock up.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Where I was raised there were no no freezers, except in wintertime. No farmer would butcher an animal in the summertime, unless the family was ready to can (bottle) the meat. Whenever we poached a summertime deer, it got canned, and that was frequent

Then we got Rural electrification, and everybody got lazy. It's easier to cut and freeze than to cut and can.

Properly canned meat is nutritious, safe, and convenient. My memory tells me it was darned tasty, too.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
grouse

Post by grouse »

I have shared some fresh wild turkey meat with some Amish farmers near my farm and in return, they he given me some canned venison (in jars, in case someone wondered). One of the jars contained what they called baloney and I'm not sure what cut the other one was. Both were fine but I see no advantage of canning over freezing. It isn't just that it's easier to do (though I think it is), the frozen meat fits more recipes and a variety of cooking types (baking, frying, grilling etc.). The canned is more limited in what you can do with it. It's also a little less appetizing..
axiom
350 SE
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

grouse wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:11 pm
I have shared some fresh wild turkey meat with some Amish farmers near my farm and in return, they he given me some canned venison (in jars, in case someone wondered). One of the jars contained what they called baloney and I'm not sure what cut the other one was. Both were fine but I see no advantage of canning over freezing. It isn't just that it's easier to do (though I think it is), the frozen meat fits more recipes and a variety of cooking types (baking, frying, grilling etc.). The canned is more limited in what you can do with it. It's also a little less appetizing..
The advantage is having a good protean source during a prolonged power outage and having no prep involved after the initial canning.
I plan on having my frozen Venison in addition to some canned.
Power outages are getting very common do to sever weather and the political atmosphere of the world is not reassuring.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I am happy the consensus seams positive on the edibility thanks for the input.
Anyone with a favorite canning recipe feel free to chime in please.
I got a pressure canner for X- mass that is unused at this point.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Archer Ontario

Post by Archer Ontario »

I’ve made canned venison for 40 yrs
One of our family’s favourites
So versatile
I raw pack my quart Sealers with well trimmed venison packed up to top of jar leaving a 1 inch head space
I place 1 clove of garlic 1 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon pepper
Then I place a slice of tender flake lard on top of jar clean the rim off with a paper towel with vinegar
Place lids on and place in my pressure canner
90 mins once it steams for 10 min place weight on and that’s it

Cheese steak hoagies
Tacos
Burritos
Sandwich’s
Subs
Shephards pie
Stir fry’s
Make a gravy and serve with mashed potatoes
I make 20 jars a yr
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Archer Ontario wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:28 pm
I’ve made canned venison for 40 yrs
One of our family’s favourites
So versatile
I raw pack my quart Sealers with well trimmed venison packed up to top of jar leaving a 1 inch head space
I place 1 clove of garlic 1 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon pepper
Then I place a slice of tender flake lard on top of jar clean the rim off with a paper towel with vinegar
Place lids on and place in my pressure canner
90 mins once it steams for 10 min place weight on and that’s it

Cheese steak hoagies
Tacos
Burritos
Sandwich’s
Subs
Shephards pie
Stir fry’s
Make a gravy and serve with mashed potatoes
I make 20 jars a yr
Thank you Archer Ontario this is the kind of recipe info I was hopping for !
Hunt eat sleep repeat.