New Gizmos

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wheelsquad

New Gizmos

Post by wheelsquad »

Well not really gizmos. Just simple things, but I think practical items that are worth making available for Excal owners.

First are black caps for the Charger EXT. Blue never bothered me, I never keep that crank on hunting, but have seen enough guys paint or cover theirs. Then when I had someone ask me specifically about making them a set, it seemed like a no-brainer to offer them:

Kinda similar story with charger handle stow bracket, had seen other guys mount the original Assassin stow bracket on other models, even did one myself, before deciding to make these for the common micro stock without needing to drill any holes in the stock:

I've got a more universal bracket I'm working on too, just need to figure out the best hardware option for it.

Lastly are the cheek rests. I'm very grateful Paul was able to have them produced and sell them through this forum, fb groups, and ebay these last few years. I had too many irons in the fire to keep them available at the time, but was able to free up some things to do more of this stuff now. Paul is going to keep selling the cheek rests like he always has. And I'll just sell them directly on the site for those that prefer to order that way.

I've also got a new cheek rest version that will soon be available, made from the same material as the Charger EXT caps. Since it prints so smooth, supposedly it hydrodips really well. Which I hope to find out soon. Would be really cool to be able to do some in Mossy Oak Bottomland.

Anyway, was time I shared with this great crew. Just a hobby that seemed worth expanding a little so other guys could make use of the things I was already going to do anyway. I've got quite a few other ideas as well, so hopefully it is something I can keep going.

Site url is in my signature. Sorry for the long initial post.
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360
Carnivorous

Re: New Gizmos

Post by Carnivorous »

Looks great.

I have your cheek rest on my BUll dog bow and it's a game changer!

Last edited by Carnivorous on Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Nice looking stuff there Tyler. That new filament really does print smooth.

With your skillset and attention to detail, I'm confident these will all be nice additions to people's bows. Keep it up my friend!
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
forrest-hunter

Post by forrest-hunter »

how do you get that cheek rest
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

forrest-hunter wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:40 am
how do you get that cheek rest
3 options:

1) Message Paul (flightattendant100) on this forum

2) Find Paul's listing on ebay. Just search "Excalibur cheek rest"

3) Buy directly off my new site: adapt3dprints.square.site

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Franken360
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

janesy wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:42 am
Nice looking stuff there Tyler. That new filament really does print smooth.

With your skillset and attention to detail, I'm confident these will all be nice additions to people's bows. Keep it up my friend!
Thanks. The regular cheek rests are still made on a filament printer. Finish is pretty good. The stow bracket and charger ext caps I'm making on a resin printer. Gets crazy good resolution and smooth finishes even just on standard setting. The resin itself is a lot more expensive than filament though, so it's a balance choosing the right one for each design.

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Franken360
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I bought one of these cheek rest off of the Ebay sight and was very happy with the quality and function I got a tan color for my 340Mag.
Mine has some texture to it.
I sent my first one back because it did not work with my c2 crank they sent me a different model that works perfect I think they said it was for the bulldog bows if I remember correctly.
I would mention what bow/ crank you are using when placing the order.
I would order again with out hesitation.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

gerald strine wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:18 pm
I bought one of these cheek rest off of the Ebay sight and was very happy with the quality and function I got a tan color for my 340Mag.
I sent my first one back because it did not work with my c2 crank they sent me a different model that works perfect I think they said it was for the bulldog bows if I remember correctly.
I'm surprised the standard profile did not work with the C2 on your Mag 340 (which just has the regular micro stock). I designed the Bulldog version of the rest to work for the uncommon pairing of a C2 and bulldog. I'll have to test my C2 on a standard micro stock with the standard profile cheek rest again.

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Franken360
Lonewolf McQuade

Post by Lonewolf McQuade »

Well done!
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

wheelsquad wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:53 pm
gerald strine wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:18 pm
I'm surprised the standard profile did not work with the C2 on your Mag 340 (which just has the regular micro stock). I designed the Bulldog version of the rest to work for the uncommon pairing of a C2 and bulldog. I'll have to test my C2 on a standard micro stock with the standard profile cheek rest again.
Well I'm glad you said something, it helped remind me of the stock/crank/cheek rest compatibility. With a C2 (and most likely Charger Lite) the standard cheek rest version interferes with the forward portion of the crank body. So the Bulldog/Short version cheek rest is needed even on the regular Micro stock, or just cut a standard version off the back to clear it. Charger EXT works with the standard version cheek rest on the Micro stock though.

On a Bulldog crossbow, the Bulldog/Short version cheek rest is also needed to clear the forward portion of the Charger EXT stock as well. Same with the shorter LOP stocks too.

I'm going to play around with seeing how a version would feel that works with every crank and stock combo. Would be nice to just have them all be compatible without question. As long as there is still plenty of surface to rest on with proper scope eye relief.

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Franken360
Boo

Post by Boo »

What filament are you using Tyler?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

Boo wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:37 pm
What filament are you using Tyler?
When I started the cheek rests and was having a small print outfit make them, I was having them make them with PETG filament at 100% infill. So Paul continued to get them that way. Now that I have my own printers I have been able to experiment more, and have landed on PLA+ at 70% infill.

The Charger EXT blackout caps are made on my resin printer, hence the very refined surface finish. Can't really tell at all that they are 3D printed. The handle stow brackets are currently made on the resin printer, but I am playing around with making them on the FDM printer out of PLA+ instead.

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Franken360
janesy

Post by janesy »

Hey Guys, I just got my newly designed cheek rest from Tyler. If you haven't checked his stuff out, do it now. It's perfect for my custom Micro Axe.

Tyler, many thanks my friend
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

Thanks for the vote of confidence Janesy 👊 You're welcome too.

Even though I sent some out to get feedback before listing on the site, I figured out some stuff from the first few orders that are going to help me reconfigure some things for the better. That's the beauty of this printing stuff, no tooling to be stuck with 🙂

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Franken360
shafferm

Post by shafferm »

The resin is hard to beat for surface finish on small objects. Depending on the filament you are using, you might be able to try vapor polishing on your FDM prints to smooth them. It works really well with ABS filament plus acetone for the smoothing. It's a tradeoff between post processing your prints on the FDM prints at a lower filament cost versus much less post processing on the resin prints to get a very smooth surface finish at a higher material price.
2002 Exomag
Varizone with Burris Sig. Zee Rings
My mods:
Scope cover adapters
Optomechanical rangefinder
Custom built lit nocks
BCY Trophy flemish string
20" XX75 2219 arrows with 4" feathers