Mixed success first day

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longbow joe

Mixed success first day

Post by longbow joe »

Yesterday was our first day it has been beautiful weather all week now clouds and certain rain by 11 am.
The goal was to get brother mike a turkey he had the mossberg turkey thug and me the vixen.
Our woods have been shortened by mining activities and we lost a little plateau what we called the "turkey lawn"
Only about 2 acres but it's been a Hotspot for about 25 years with many turkey harvested.
We had to weedwack a new "turkey lawn " about a 100 yards down lol.
Yes the things hunters do ..
We come in in the morning and set up predicting that the birds are roosted about 100 yards away put the decoys out and get in the tent.
Brother loads the turkey thug and we got about 5 gobblers blasting off about 30 yards away lololl.
It would have been easy to take a 30 yard shot with the vixen or blast one with the 12guage but we voted on being Sportsman.
After exchanging a few calls they flew away as l predicted ..we never saw roosting in that area but it was good to see they adapted to the new landscape.
At 9 am with rain starting a lone jake came in with a micro beard and brother blasted him at 30 yards
Brother mike is not fussy says all turkeys eat the same.
I'm glad we recovered a little from the morning clusterclock it was and glad we chose not to '"roostblast too.
With the mining activities we can only hunt that spot on a Saturday so next week different approach and lesson learned.
I must have killed about 80 turkey already but still don't know crap that's why it's so cool!
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
gerald strine

Re: Mixed success first day

Post by gerald strine »

Sounds like a good hunt to me time with your brother and a Jake to boot !
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Nice hunt, sounds like an interesting area
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Boo

Post by Boo »

Sounds like a pretty good first day to me! :thumbup: