All day turkey.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

peter p wrote:One thing I've noticed with the MNR here in Ontario is that if there is any game that's over populating they do something to stop it such as with the coyotes and mange. I heard that they introduced mange to keep the coyote population down. Also I'm seeing a lot of possums here in Southern ontario. We never had possums. I believe the MNR released them so they can eat the turkey eggs and help keep the population down.
Last spring turkey hunting, I couldn't believe how may turkey eggs I found in their nests eaten by some animal.
The MNR introduced mange? To control coyotes? I don't think so. Mange is a microscopic parasite. A mite. Parasites are part of the natural ecosystem, and when host numbers are up the parasites can easily spread from one animal to another. The mange a coyote gets is the same as what your pet dog can get, or wolves, and can be spread from one animal to the next.

Opossums have been in Ontario for quite a while now. More as a result of climate change. With warmer winters more opossums are surviving and are therefore able to reproduce and add to the population. There are many animals that will eat bird eggs:raccoon, skunk, fox, other birds.