Bolt weight question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Shakky

Bolt weight question

Post by Shakky »

I'm considering going down to a 90 grain broadhead but I don't want to fall under the 325 grain min for my Vixen. Currently I'm shooting the standard Goldtip Lazer 2 minus two inches. So I'm using a 18 inch bolt will a 100 grain broadhead. How much room do I have to play with?
If the new riser becomes availible for the Vixen do you think it will affect the min. bolt weight?
PRB

Post by PRB »

I'm not sure about any change in min. bolt weight with the new riser. If you go to this following site and scroll down to the very bottom you will see your Laser II bolt and its weight per inch (8.6Gr/inch). http://www.above-timberline.com/Gold%20Tip%20Arrows.htm
And this next link will take you to your different inserts w/specs. http://www.above-timberline.com/gold%20 ... onents.htm Aprox. 1 yr ago this guys prices was the best I could find. I havnt compared them since then. And also back around that 1 yr ago someone had saved and posted some examples of bolt weights(inserts,vanes,ect...) that I put under my favorites, but now its gone when I try to recall it up. The forums topics are deleted after so much time has gone by I think. Maybe they will get posted again. Good luck :)
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

Just what I needed. Thanks.
skeeter

Post by skeeter »

I shoot 2213's cut at 18" and use a 75 grain tip and have had good success with my Vixen.Zips right through deer on a broadside shot.I think this setup is the bare minium for weight.
ExcalBeliever

Post by ExcalBeliever »

My current setup for my Vixen with the curved limbs is:

Easton XX78 cut to 18.25", aluminum insert up front, aluminum uni-bushing in the back.

3 - 5" vanes, 85 grain Thunderhead BH.

Total arrow weight is 336 grains, my Chrono Pal registers 275 fps average for 10 shots.

I'm thinking about upgrading my Vixen to the newer limbs with the magtips and FF string.

Is $100 worth the 10 fps?

maybe..maybe not...but I rekon why not!!
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

It is worth it if that is what you want :!:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!