on stand 70 yards from a feeder

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mdcrossbow

on stand 70 yards from a feeder

Post by mdcrossbow »

I can watch the deer filter in to the feeder about 3:30PM, I was thinking that if I put a bag of corn out under 15 yards from my ceder the deer will stage up there for the feeder. Man did they ever. Yesterday late afternoon I had 7 deer under my stand. The feeder went off all the deer turned when the feeder went off and I wanted to see there reaction. 3 of the deer ran to the feeder with all the corn they needed at their feet they still ran up to the feeder. These were younger deer. As the evening grew darker more and more deer pilled into the corn pile and I could see deer filtering towards the feeder. I plan on keeping this feeder going all year. with only two lage plots of land avaliable to the deer to feed in outside of large homes and their lush yards I think that a feeder will serve as a home area for many of the deer now.
. Has anyone else used feeders for a while.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

works like a dinner bell huh DaveH--yep I have mine set up in the back behind the house so I can watch them in the evening while I set in the hottub. year around... :wink:
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

I'm hopeing that dinner bell works again this evening. yesterday I had a hugh doe came in and she had 2 buttons with her. She is #1 on the cull list with 2 buttons. The buttons will stay in the area and make it home turf if I take her out. Well I missed her not once but twice. This has never happened to me. I came in the shop 1st thing this morning and shot my excoet to see if it was off. I shot it at 15 yards which was the distance of the shot . Perfect , dead on. So I shot it a few more times , dead on. OK whats the problem? All I can figure is I must have hit a limb on the ceder tree to have gotten a deflection. Or she is one QUICK doe or its a limb .
PRB

Post by PRB »

I used my homemade feeder and once they got use to it, then it was hard to keep it filled up. I had the doe with twins(doe and button). The doe tryed about 2 to 3 weeks ago to run the young button buck away from her and the other yearling doe twin. She got tired of it and let the button buck have the area and I took him last weekend. Now I've noticed that the does are starting to come back around along with an occasional 4 to 6 pointer that I'm hoping is young and dumb enough to come up this afternoon for my son to get. Going to start grinding, cutting, tonight. Sorry I got off the subject. Anyway I'm going to try and get a 55 gal plastic drum for a feeder next year 8)
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

Those 55 gal drums are great. I screwed one to a tree and took a ratchit strap and put it around it. The fixed a cheep $29 feeder to the bottom. I get corn for $5 a 70 pound bag and it take 7 bags to fill. Should last 4 to 5 months. Twice a day despenceing corn for 15 seconds.
huntman

Post by huntman »

DaveHawk wrote:I had a hugh doe came in and she had 2 buttons with her. She is #1 on the cull list with 2 buttons. The buttons will stay in the area and make it home turf if I take her out. Well I missed her not once but twice.
not for nothing you have paid for your tag and can do what you choose however, is it not very smart to be taking a large doe at this time of the season. Killing her now is like killing three deer. More then likely she is pregnant. Just my 2 cents no means intended
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

huntman wrote:
DaveHawk wrote:I had a hugh doe came in and she had 2 buttons with her. She is #1 on the cull list with 2 buttons. The buttons will stay in the area and make it home turf if I take her out. Well I missed her not once but twice.
not for nothing you have paid for your tag and can do what you choose however, is it not very smart to be taking a large doe at this time of the season. Killing her now is like killing three deer. More then likely she is pregnant. Just my 2 cents no means intended
Not necessarily huntman. Not all does will have been bred through the first rut. And if they have, that's ok too. No different then taking a doe prior to being bred. There is often a benefit of removing does from the area. Many areas have more than enough deer to keep the population at a sustainable level. Hence the reason for antlerless permits.
Red Label

Post by Red Label »

The logical thing to do is take a fawn as they have higher winter mortality anyway....but I just can't bring myself to do that!

taking a doe before she's bred or after has the same net effect next year, right?

I personally have no qualms about taking a nice doe now.
huntman

Post by huntman »

chris4570 wrote:Not necessarily huntman. Not all does will have been bred through the first rut. And if they have, that's ok too. No different then taking a doe prior to being bred. There is often a benefit of removing does from the area. Many areas have more than enough deer to keep the population at a sustainable level. Hence the reason for antlerless permits.
You have a valid point i guess its just to each their own.
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

You guys don't know this area very well. We have hundreds of deer psm. QDM in place and by taking a doe it will help to get the blance of DOe buck going. Right now it's about 8-1. As far as the little guys making it through the winter, thats not a problem around here. Thay have all the food they need to make it through even with out feeders. Large doe's with buttons have been the top of the list for years now and they will remain # 1 . If you want a blanced heard or want to abtain a blanced heard when you have the wacked out ratio like we do.
. Huntman, I don't have the limitations you guys have on you. Here when you buy your lic. you get to take 2 bucks per season, bow, gun and black powder. You also get unlimited doe's in each season. I give away allot of meat to the needy and homeless. Bow hunting is my passion, so I chose to enact QDM on my leases in hopes to bring about a quility deer heard.
. 5 years ago a 200 pound dress buck was unheard of around here or realy seen. Last year I took 2 bucks that dressed about 220, This year I only have taken one buck that dressed 186 and 14 doe's. The season is not over till the 31st of Jan. then I start hunting with crop damage permits till the end of march. Late season hunting is not for the faint of heartbut seeing hundreds of dree killed on the roads and people being killed in deer vs. car accidents is also a problem. I can live with taking a pregnet doe if it means getting the #'s down.
huntman

Post by huntman »

DaveHawk wrote:You guys don't know this area very well. We have hundreds of deer psm. QDM in place and by taking a doe it will help to get the blance of DOe buck going. Right now it's about 8-1. As far as the little guys making it through the winter, thats not a problem around here. Thay have all the food they need to make it through even with out feeders. Large doe's with buttons have been the top of the list for years now and they will remain # 1 . If you want a blanced heard or want to abtain a blanced heard when you have the wacked out ratio like we do.
. Huntman, I don't have the limitations you guys have on you. Here when you buy your lic. you get to take 2 bucks per season, bow, gun and black powder. You also get unlimited doe's in each season. I give away allot of meat to the needy and homeless. Bow hunting is my passion, so I chose to enact QDM on my leases in hopes to bring about a quility deer heard.
. 5 years ago a 200 pound dress buck was unheard of around here or realy seen. Last year I took 2 bucks that dressed about 220, This year I only have taken one buck that dressed 186 and 14 doe's. The season is not over till the 31st of Jan. then I start hunting with crop damage permits till the end of march. Late season hunting is not for the faint of heartbut seeing hundreds of dree killed on the roads and people being killed in deer vs. car accidents is also a problem. I can live with taking a pregnet doe if it means getting the #'s down.
Davehawk; having said all that then i understand your position. You are an ethical hunter with reason behind your actions. Around here it's not like that, as you mentioned. Good luck in the pop. control

i think i should move down to where you are. it's sound like fun! :wink:
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

huntman, I told this earler this year. In well to do area of the county there are no hunters and deer travel the maze of woods around the homes . I have a customer I finish his antiques and he called me to kill deer. He would see as many as 30 in his little 2 acer lot. He has a 1/4 acer of woods in the far back where the deer stage. He asked me to take as many as I could and He paid me $200 a head. I called a friend in SC to help out, We lined the back are with a 50 yard line of corn, in 4 days we took out 18 deer. He is prity happy now he is only seeing 3 or 4 deer when they come into his yard.
. Everyone I have invited to hunt here , even guys from N.E. have had a ball hunting. Late season is no different even when not useing corn. Guys see lots of deer and get to leave with meat.