Another newbie question......Bolt accuracy

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

The Butcher

Another newbie question......Bolt accuracy

Post by The Butcher »

Shot the Exomag more today(off of sand bags and a bench) and found something out. When I shot target archery, I used to shoot and # my arrows. When I would shoot my hunting shafts, I'd do the same, but not be so critical. I'd afffix the broadheads, and shoot, and the broadhead that went to the spot, three times in a row, went into the quiver. The ones that did not make the grade, got the inserts spun, and broadheads reattached, and spun for truness. I weighed all of my bolts, ( I made them myself ), and was + or - 3 grains. I did the same routine, and found that some of the bolts, would go 2" or more out of the spot at 20 yds. Interesting though, The bolt that went the most out of the group, when shot three times in a row, shot about a half inch group at 20 yds. That tells me the Crossbow, and my technique are good. I guess, my question is, is this normal. With a regular bow, I could cut or lenghten my shafts by an inch, change target points of 10 grains or more, and the arrow still went in the spot. Is it because the bolt is so much shorter, or the power stroke so fast? Or because the difference between the valley and the wall of a compound allows that much play? I am using the rope cocking device ( great item ) and put marks on the string as in the video, and am getting a nice even pull. Just wondered if others found the same, and what you do to get all the bolts going to the spot. I know there are things to be learned, unfortunately, no mentors around here. Thanks for all the help on my other questions. Butcher
If you always tell the truth, there is nothing to remember. Mark Twain
BUCKSHOT

Question for ya!

Post by BUCKSHOT »

Just wondering what type of arrows you are using?
What degree of helix is in the fletching, how long is your fletching, how long are your arrows?
It sounds as though your technique is good, it's just that guys will need to know more about your set-up in order to better help!
Everything needs to be set up correctly in order to maintain the correct center of ballance! This could be your problem!
Then again if one arrow always goes to the mark it must be set up properly, especially if you do the same routine for each arrow!
It could be a few different things but as I said, more info please!
Enjoy the Harvest!
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

Arrow head weight. Weight your broadheads , you maybe surprised as how much different each head is. I've did this for years to pin point a proper Qiver of arrows...BT
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

Buckshot,
I'm using XX75 2219's, cut at 20", an aluminum insert on each end, 5" Bonhing vanes, fletch slightly offset. Shooting Muzzy 100 grain broadheads. I'm shooting them out of my new exomax. Could be head weight as adrian states, but I've had good luck with the Muzzy's out of my compound.
If you always tell the truth, there is nothing to remember. Mark Twain
darkhollowarcher

re

Post by darkhollowarcher »

just a thought, but have you checked all of your arrow shafts for straightness.any difference in straightness could cause your problem of a different point of impact .yet still leave a single arrow shoot a good group.
even if it wont group with the rest. Bob
wabi

Post by wabi »

I was surprised to find out how much fletching would alter a specific broadhead's performance, or (to say it differently) how a broadhead's performance could be altered by a change in fletching. I could not get SlickTricks to shoot to the same point of impact as field points despite all the claims of them doing so. Then I went from a 4 degree offset fletch to an 8 degree helical, and now the group right with field points.
I'm sure a slight variation in broadheads of the same type could cause variations in popint of impact, especially if your fletching was borderline for steering with that particular broadhead.
Clear as mud????? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Try an arrow with different fletching if you have access to some.
wabi