Baiting?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Post by Guest »

[quote="it's not like shooting the local farmer's cow [/quote]

I shot a farmer's cow once, that was pretty cool...
brayhaven

Re: baiting

Post by brayhaven »

smitty wrote:I've only been hunting for two years, and appreciate all the good advice you guys share. I bought an exocet in october and can't wait till next year. I have a few questions regarding baiting. I was always told you couldn't bait - this is new to me. also i spend quite a bit of money on cover sents (apple) . are they necessary if you have a baited site? I would think my success rate would be higher if i had deer coming to the site to feed? thanks for the advice.
Cover scents are, IMO, totally worthless, as is "scentblocker" paraphenalia. Hunt upwind and save your money for one of those new XC Xbows :o).
Greg
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Just to answer your question Woodsman. On my property the hunting season has been over for about 2 1/2 weeks. The forest is now more silent, and yes they do get more tame and easier to approach. As the winter gets colder, Mother Nature has a built in warning system for deer to move less, therefore saving precious energy and fat reserves. In March their so docile, you could almost throw a spear and kill them.

Grey Owl
brayhaven

Post by brayhaven »

OK, I do have a question for all of you who hunt over bait....
When you get really good at it (putting out all that corn, molasses, apples etc),
Do you earn the title: Master Baiter ???
Just curious, Greg :lol:
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

brayhaven, an oldie but a goodie! :lol:

GREY OWL, I've seen them in March too. They will eat out of your hand! What surprised me is that they are almost behaving like that right now. I think your right about them knowing that the season is over. This combined with the snow accumulation, frigid temps, and tasty deer feed has made them very approachable.
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

brayhaven wrote:Cover scents are, IMO, totally worthless, as is "scentblocker" paraphenalia. Hunt upwind and save your money for one of those new XC Xbows :o).
Greg
Hunt upwind? Is that what you tell your friends so they scare all the deer towards you?:wink: :lol:

Post by Guest »

chris4570 wrote:
brayhaven wrote:Cover scents are, IMO, totally worthless, as is "scentblocker" paraphenalia. Hunt upwind and save your money for one of those new XC Xbows :o).
Greg
Hunt upwind? Is that what you tell your friends so they scare all the deer towards you?:wink: :lol:

Good one Chris!! :lol: :lol:

Maybe brayhaven can clue us in on a new hunting technique.

We'd appreciate any helpful hints Greg. :o :lol: :wink:
brayhaven

Post by brayhaven »

Carl from Vermont wrote:
chris4570 wrote:
Greg

We'd appreciate any helpful hints Greg. :o :lol: :wink:
Well Carl, I'd think that even a liberal from Vermont knows what it means to hunt upwind. Duh, that means you put your stand downwind from where you expect the deer to be. Or if still hunting, you move upwind.... If you need any more helpful hints, just let me know :roll: .
Greg

Post by Guest »

Thanks Greg. You are a smart fella. Come hunt the Great North Woods sometime. Perhaps you could teach us old Yankees a bit about tracking. :lol: :wink:

PS. Leave the flip-flops at your Florida home. Your feet might get a little cold hunting in them up here. :lol: :wink:
brayhaven

Post by brayhaven »

Carl from Vermont wrote:Thanks Greg. You are a smart fella. Come hunt the Great North Woods sometime. Perhaps you could teach us old Yankees a bit about tracking. :lol: :wink:

PS. Leave the flip-flops at your Florida home. Your feet might get a little cold hunting in them up here. :lol: :wink:
Carl, you're obviously still suffering from "electile dysfunction" :lol: . That's your man, Hanoi John Kerry. You've apparently been hunting downwind, and it occurred to me why you haven't put any venison in the freezer. But, if you need another basic hunting lesson, I'll be glad to oblige you. I apparently will have to "dumb down" the lessons though, as you appear to have a little problem with basic reading comprehension :o). I still like you though.
Greg
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

My favorite technique isn't up wind or down wind. It's passing wind. Brings 'em in real close. They have that strange look on their face as their trying to find out "What's that funky smell?". Works all the time. :wink:
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
brayhaven

Post by brayhaven »

Woodsman wrote:My favorite technique isn't up wind or down wind. It's passing wind. Brings 'em in real close. They have that strange look on their face as their trying to find out "What's that funky smell?". Works all the time. :wink:
Now there's a "cover" scent that might have possibilities :o). I'm curious, since you brought up the subject. If people (and deer) break wind, do fish break water??
Greg
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

brayhaven wrote:
Woodsman wrote:My favorite technique isn't up wind or down wind. It's passing wind. Brings 'em in real close. They have that strange look on their face as their trying to find out "What's that funky smell?". Works all the time. :wink:
Now there's a "cover" scent that might have possibilities :o). I'm curious, since you brought up the subject. If people (and deer) break wind, do fish break water??
Greg
Of course fish break water, Thats what all them bubbles are you spot every now and then when fishing :roll: :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!