Should I buy it ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

raydaughety

Should I buy it ?

Post by raydaughety »

As some of you know, I am disabled and hunt with an exomag. My son, Tyler is 7 years old and took his first deer this year with a youth model .243. He has a couple of those Wal-mart bows but is agrivated because he cannot shoot consistantly with these bows. We looked at a browning micro midus over the summer with a 30 - 40lb draw weight but He couldn't pull it back. Well we stopped by our local archery shop and he picked up the bow set at 35lb and drew it with no problems. Shooting a bow is a little more complicated that pulling the trigger on a rifle. From the information I've given you, do you think He's ready. Please help !!!!
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Ray,

He is a strong young man at 7 to be able to pull 35 pounds back and hold it.

By all means let him go for it.

I am not familiar with that bow and maybe some others on her are and can help you out more than I can.

Since he is just getting going on growth I would get something with a LOT of adjustment so you will not be buying him a new bow every year or two.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Do think you would be the best judge of that question. The Browning is a fine bow and thats one of the bows I started my grandson on at about the same age.

Interest will wane off and on as time moves on depending on how much you are willing to shoot with him ! A fine starter compound bow..
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
ALINALBERTA

Post by ALINALBERTA »

These Browning bows are awesome for kids. I am assuming the one you are looking at has the 10" draw adjustment. No more money than other quality bows and will fit them for years. I bought my son the Rage a year ago. He is almost 12 now.The Rage is a full sized bow but also has the 10" adjustment . No regrets on my part. My boy and I are both very happy with his Browning! :P

Al
shifty

Post by shifty »

Im thinking of buying my son a vixon when he is twelve that is the leagle age to hunt deer in ontario. I know it has plenty of punch for whitetails so i wont have to worry about penetration i think all i" have to do is modify the stock. but i"ll probubly have to talk to bill on that onell
PRB

Post by PRB »

My son is 8 yrs old and when I bought him an adjustable compound bow, and seen how fast the arrow was flying and how far it penetrated the target (barely), then I knew that he would be able to cock the Vixen sooner than he would be able to pull back the poundage (to kill a deer) of a compound bow. When I let him try to cock the Vixen now when he uses the rope cocker he can pull it up around 3/4 of the way. He might make it all the way by next season. If your wanting your son to start off with a compound bow simply to start getting use to them then go for it. As far as Shifty saying he might need to modify the stock...well I thought the same thing but found that my 8 yr old can shoulder the Vixen just fine if its resting on a saw horse or something similar. He can also rest it on the edge of our tree stand. He is not big enough to hold it up, shoulder it, and look through the scope at the same time free handed yet. That could possible take 2 more years. I'll have to wait and see. Hope this might help. Good luck.
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
Bob McNally

Post by Bob McNally »

Is there a minimum draw weight in the US?

Here in Ontario the minimum a bow can be for deer hunting is 39.7 lbs (40lbs)
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

ohio has 40 for v-bows and 90 fer xbows.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

Gary-I believe its 75 for xbows. from the Ohio website

[Prohibited activities] "Hunt deer with a longbow having a draw weight of less than 40 pounds, or with a
crossbow having a draw weight of less than 75 pounds or more than 200 pounds".

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/Hun ... ot_p16.htm
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

If he is consistanly hitting a 6" target at 20 yards set him up with that distant and let him go for it. But as what has been said . You are the best judge. Md. is 35 minamum draw weight , I think.
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Thanks for all the replies, in North Carolina, the minimun is 35lbs. I'm picking the bow up today ( set up and ready to shoot ) I also got a dozen of carbon arrows. Thanks for the help guys :!: Merry Christmas.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray