MNR written response to high fence hunting.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Tigerpaw

MNR written response to high fence hunting.

Post by Tigerpaw »

My letter followed by mnr letter.

Subject:Hunting

Comment:I have been put into a hard place by this new law on game farm
hunting. I love my country but can no longer stand-by while the government
tells people what they can and cannot do with the land they have worked hard
for and paid their taxes on. There is no difference in raising pigs in a
pen, cows in a fence or chickens in a cage until killed than raising a deer,
elk or wild hog on hundreds of beautiful acres with a fence around it until
they are killed. Actually, if I had to be one of them I would rather live on
the hundreds of beautiful acres of land until killed then in a square box or
pen wouldn't you? Enough is enough, this kind of infringement on land
owners' rights has to stop. In this case a look at what I have just
described shows the way that people are not thinking with comon sense and
are taking peoples livelihoods right out from under them. The way we as
people should treat animals should be the same for all animals not just the
ones that look pretty. When this law is stopped it will be a step in the
right direction and will show land owners that the people in office are
using facts and good sense to make their hard decisions. Please responed
ASAP as I have alot of people waiting for your reply. sincerely Scott
Harding.

Page that likely generated this feedback:http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR/

Hello Mr. Harding:

The hunting in captivity of game mammals native to Ontario has been unlawful since the proclamation of the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act (FWCA) on January 1, 1999. During the development of the FWCA in 1996, extensive consultation took place involving more than 30 organizations, including several farming organizations. The process also included a review and hearings by the Standing Committee on General Government. At that time, a decision was made by the government to define "wildlife" as all species that are "wild by nature" which includes species such as red deer and wild boar. In addition a decision was made to ban the hunting in captivity of indigenous wild game species, such as elk, white tailed deer and bison; that are kept in captivity as farmed animals.

In 2000, species of wildlife that are endangered around the world, as listed
in Appendices I and II to the Convention on International Trade in
Endangered Species, were added to the list of wildlife that could not be
hunted in captivity. At this time, only non-native wildlife may be hunted
in captivity in Ontario and only by residents of Ontario. The activity of
hunting wildlife in captivity is banned in most provinces and implementing
the proposal would provide for more equitable treatment of native and
non-native wildlife in Ontario by banning the hunting of all wildlife in
captivity.

On August 16, 2004, a notice was posted on the Environmental Bill of Rights (EBR) Environmental Registry web site, for a 30-day public comment period, on a proposal to ban the hunting of all wildlife in captivity in Ontario.
This proposal would not affect the game farming industry in relation to
keeping animals for commercial propagation or the commercial production of meat, hides, antler products or other products as long as the wildlife was not hunted in captivity. The proposal has been implemented by a regulation on December 8, 2004. The ban on the hunting of all wildlife in captivity will take effect on April 30, 2005.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Sincerely,

nric web reader - nb
Natural Resources Information Centre
300 Water Street
Peterborough, ON K9J 8M5
1-800-667-1940
Fax: 705-755-1677
[email protected]

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2004 4:39 PM
To: NRIC - Hunting (MNR)
Subject: Email regarding Hunting
Kdog

Post by Kdog »

Scott, while I am sorry that this new law will cause a hardship for you, I do agree with the law, and hope that we in the states will follow suit. I do not agree with canned hunts, period. I have relatives in Ohio that have deer farms. The deer are not hunted. My relatives earn a good living off of farming the animals, breeding them, etc... I would think that you could do the same.

Again, I am sorry for any problems this may cause you, but I think it is best for all hunters.

Kdog
Kaz Osuchowski

Post by Kaz Osuchowski »

I'm definatly on the same page as Kdog , hunting in captivity is unsportsmanlike if you treat hunting as a sport , and if you hunt for meat you should respect the animal even more.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

deleted

LW
Last edited by LoneWolf on Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
kendo kid

Decision making process

Post by kendo kid »

What worries me is the method for making the decision. The change was posted in the "Registry" for public comment. First off, if you are interested in public comment you post the postion in the newspapers and ask for public comment. If you are interested in Special Interest Comments you post in the Federal Register. My concern is where did the land owners get to make comment. The decison making process that excludes the broader public leaves hunters and land owners at the mercy of PETA and other special interest groups with lots of money behind them.

Kendo Kid
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
LoneWolf

Re: Decision making process

Post by LoneWolf »

deleted

LW
Last edited by LoneWolf on Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
patmax

High Fence

Post by patmax »

Gentlemen,

I beg to differ. The high fence is a management tool. It makes no sense to ban hunting behind a high fence with no discussion of the amount of acres under fence or the cover provided. The hunt is in the eyes of the beholder; some like to hunt open plains, some thick woods and marshes. I submit that If you hunt with a 7mm mag with the ability to deliver a lethal blow at a distance of 600 yards the fence does not matter. The study I have done on whitetail deer says that doe generally stay within a home range of 1 square mile and bucks will travel over 5 square miles when mature, so by nature they have a fence built around them. My feeling is that a true hunter would not want a hunt that is not fair chase. Ethical guides, outfitters and ranch owners should want to provide fair chase.

I just don't get this business that it is ok to raise an animal in a small pen and slaughter it but not be able to hunt an animal raised on acreage and kill it, slaughter it if you like; while it is ok to do what ever you want to a wild animal that is only fenced in by his territorial range. Whether I am slaughtering an animil I have raised for meat or shooting an animal I am hunting as game I try very hard to make a clean kill. A novice might laugh at such a statement, but anyone who has killed knows the difference.

If you want to ban high fences then why not ban hunting in canyons. If you want to ban high fences then why not ban hunting in small patches of woods. If you want to ban high fences then why not ban hunting in neighborhoods or any safe harbor the animals are seeking. Ban the 7mm, the 25-06, the 300 mag; because they give the hunter the upper hand and "it is not fair". Ban the range finder, ban scent block, doe pee, trail cams, don't use a bow or an arrow - use a rock, but don't chase them over cliffs. Let's go backwards. That's a good point - you must walk backwards when you hunt.

Do all in the above paragraph and atlease PETA and the SPCA will be happy. But, be sure to have the Vegan diet plan handy because you won't be eating much venison unless you pick it up as road kill.

Just though y'all would love to hear my 2cents.

patmax