Neck shoot

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mdcrossbow

Neck shoot

Post by mdcrossbow »

late yesterday my son Jon shot a buck in the neck. I was 40 yards away watching the buck come in. Jon took 1 shot and got a deflection, then the buck took a differet trail about 5 yards off the 1st and he was able to get another shot at 20 yards. I saw the arrow sticking out of the lower part of the neck. Good pennitration. We waited till 6:30 after dark and followed the blood trail. Good trail too. By the looks of it I thought he would be down. Well after about 300 250 yards we ended up next to a feeder in an anti's back yard with a big blood pool 10' away from the back porch and the anit's sitting at the spam table LOL, will she be pissed to see the blood. We then followed it out of her yard down across the street and up a small hill which lead to another yard. At this point I told JOn , I will come back in the morning and look for him.
. Do you think I will find him ? I can't go now but after I make a funiture delevery I will head out about 10:30.. Jon is my oldest son.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Dave,

Good luck on finding him, but my guess it is just a flesh wound. They do l bleed a lot.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
rtcdir

Blood trail

Post by rtcdir »

Most likey you won't find this one, unless you get a break, and you are a tenacious tracker. I helped a buddy track a neck shot deer and we tracked her between a mile and a half and two miles. She had lost enough blood that she became week and got tangled up in an old fence. She did get over it but died just on the other side. The trouble was that it took her a long time to die and the blood trail deminished down to almost nothing the last 1/4 mile of tracking. There were four of us on our hands and knees. One guy would stay at the last blood spot and the other three would fan out till we found another drop sometimes it was 20 to 40 yards between blood drops. But we did find her. Another buddy shot a deer, I think in the sholder, and he initially bled a lot but my buddy quit tracking and decided to track in the morning. We started the next day and the anamial was still alive. We found two very fresh beds with lots of warm blood in them so all we were doing was moving this buck around. He was bleeding alot but was still going. We never did find him.
Shemp

Post by Shemp »

This sounds exactly like the shot I had, I kept trailing for over a mile and was rewarded, with a 193 lb dressed perfect 10 pointer.

Keep lookin don't give up, and when you feel like giving up read the first 5 letters of this sentence again.
BOB VANDRISH

neck shoot

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

I shot a doe in the neck years ago with a compound bow,and it dropped right in it's tracks!
I also shot one through the front lower part of the neck with a rifle and never found the deer!
In this case,there was blood sprayed everywhere.
Someone picked uo the track the next day,and traced it back to where it had laid down in a creek to stop the bleeding.
We never got that second deer!
If you are seeing plenty of blood,that deer will eventually go down,and you have to keep on the trail until you get another shot,or find it.
Persistance pays off!!
Bob.
Bob Vandrish.
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

I picked up the blood trail and it stoped just over the hill from the road, When I got to the back yard it opened up to a mature hard woods and I could see for 150 yards in all dirrections. With no blood and no deer in those woods I had no where to go. It was surrounded by large homes and With out knowing the owners of these homes I didn't want to begin truspassing and on the other side of the homes was the park land I sure didn't want to start looking in there.
Boltejector

Post by Boltejector »

Not sure what the regs are there, but here in MN you can lawfully retrieve or look for a wounded animal without a weapon legally, without permission from the landowner.
oneshot 1

Post by oneshot 1 »

Truth is I think he went too far.I lost one shot in the neck this year.No blood,plenty of meat and blood on the Arrow,just no blood trail.

oneshot 1