Doe or Buck

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Sliver

Doe or Buck

Post by Sliver »

Hey folks!
I probably will get jumped on from someone, but here it goes...
I was just thinking the other night and wondering what most of you folks do.... Seeing as how the deer have been breeding the past month or so, I was wondering if you guy's have any thoughts on shooting Does at this time seeing as how they may be prgnant...

Do you shoot a Doe,, or wait for (another :wink: ) a Buck....

I am of the mind that I should only shoot bucks at this time of year...What does everyone else think...

Harry
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
wildwindom

Post by wildwindom »

I will shoot a doe just because thats all i see now.
[img]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/1garywindom/bones.jpg[/img]
08 VORTEX
FFF STRING
LUMI-ZONE
GT LAZER II
100 GRAIN SLICK TRICKS
patmax

Post by patmax »

Silver,

I think the answer is determined by whether the hunter stops to think about the reason to shoot a doe or a buck. If he does, he will determine whether he wants to encourage increased herd size or limit the herd size.

In my case, I live in a high deer population area. We need the buck ratio to increase, especially mature bucks and reduce or maintain the herd size. Therefore, I will shoot doe. We have a special doe and antlerless buck season that starts (Jan. 3 - 16) after the regular gun season ends in January (Nov. 6 - Jan. 2). My property is located in a 509 acre development with the average lot being 18-20 acres. Many of the residents do not hunt. There is a great deal of lease hunting on the adjoing ranches, but their hunters don't like to shoot bucks. One ranch owner told me he told his hunters this year they must shoot a doe before they shoot buck.

Following is the information from the Texas Parks & Wildlife:
GILLESPIE - Fredericksburg (county seat) - 2004-2005 Season
White-tailed Deer - Archery Season: October 2 - 31; General Season: November 6 - January 2; Special Late General Season: January 3 - 16 (antlerless and spike bucks only). Bag limit: 5 (no more than 2 bucks, all seasons combined).

patmax
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

If you have a licence to take a doe, then by all means. That is the reason they are offered, so the deer numbers do not exceed the carrying capacity of the area. Or even to reduce the numbers because they are already too high(think Lanark county).

If you think about it, a doe could have conceived by the end of the first week of rifle/shotgun season, so anytime after the first week of November would be off limits if one is concerned or against the possibility of harvesting a pregnant doe.

I applied for an anterless tag with every intention of using it because I know it will only help the deer become stronger, and healthier in the long run.
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

I wouldn't worry about it , but if it is going to eat you up , then take a yearling , we will still say Congrats :wink: ...BT
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

Thank you for your input...
I don't think it will eat me up,,,,& chris your right,, if they did'nt want me to shoot a doe, then they would not issue the extra doe tag,,, so I guess if a Doe strolls by,, well it will be Exocet time :wink:

Thanks Again
&
Happy Holidays

Harry
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife