Accidents with Carbon arrows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Wingset

Accidents with Carbon arrows

Post by Wingset »

Has anyone any experience like this incident. What is the incident rate for carbon arrows or was this a fluck?

http://www.realtree.com/forums/showflat ... e=0#519996
Digger

Post by Digger »

I would believe this is a fluke probably due to carelessness. This picture was on this forum a couple of months ago. I've used carbons for ten years and haven't had a mishap yet. Check your carbon shafts for splits, cracks and delamination regularly.

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
MiB

Post by MiB »

Hi All,
I have sadly seen this sort of thing happen a couple of times. Once with an Easton Ace and once with an older AFC shaft. Both broke on the shot, and resulted in similar injures to the one pictured. In the interests of safety we tried to recreate the failures on a shooting machine. We tried underspined arrows, no failures. But a small nick in the carbon fibres would cause a failure about 10% of the time. You can bet that I now spend ALOT more time checking my arrows between shooting ends. I guess that with the increased stress/power involved with a xbow, we sould be even more careful than when shooting a vertical bow.
If in doubt don't shoot a cracked / damaged carbon arrow, it's definately not worth the risk.
Regards MiB
Newbi

Post by Newbi »

A warning came with the Laser IIs that I got last spring. It recommended that you always flex the arrow before shooting to locate any weakness. If there is a flaw it should show up if you flex the arrow before putting it on the string. I don't alway do it, but that is my responsibility.
QUANDO OMNI FLUNKUS MORITATI (When all else fails, Play dead)
Genesis 27:3
terry11

arrows

Post by terry11 »

I had a laser II break once on my Exocet and it acted like a dry fire and blew the string off no harm to me. I figured I must have damage the bolt myself some how and paid no notice to it. Well it happened again this year broke the same spot. I think there is a problem there maybe just a bad batch of bolts. Could have been bad news if I was shooting a bow with my arm or hand in harms way. I went to beman thunder bolts now the seem stronger time will tell.