Hunting blinds and ice fishing

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Quickshot

Hunting blinds and ice fishing

Post by Quickshot »

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone has ever used there hunting blind (like a doghouse) for a portable icefishing hut :?: I am thinking of buying one or the other :? and thought :idea: the blind may work for ice fishing as well. Let me know what you think.
enjoy the woods
Doug
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

:lol: :lol: For hunitng yes for ice fishing no unless there is absolutely no wind otherwise you will be watching it blow off into the wild blue yonder never to be seen again...unless of course you have a means of anchoring it to the ice!!!!!!!!!! :shock: Brampton Mike
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
Fur & Feathers

Post by Fur & Feathers »

I was thinking the same thing. No reason it wouldn't work. Have yet to try it. Need more ice.
Get out & Enjoy.
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

Sure it would work ,, I would take something to stand/sit on ,, Pack a little snow around the out side and no problem ...BT
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
WAB

hunting blind/ice fishing

Post by WAB »

It works great. I have one and use it on Lake Simcoe all the time. Light weight to take out. I use 6" spikes and washers and drive them into the ice to hold it in place. I have had many guys come and look at it when I put it up. I also have a small propane heater I use and I can sit in the hut on a cold windy day and be nice and warm and the holes do not freeze up.
Only warning is to really hang onto it until it is nailed down, they go across the ice at a good clip (from experience) causing unnessary exercise.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the info guys, I now know what I will buy. It will be a hunting blind and some loandscaping spikes.

Thanks again
Quickshot

Post by Quickshot »

Sorry, me above not looged in :oops:
enjoy the woods
Doug
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

I may have some good deals on some Ameristep blinds in Feb. I am headed again for the Big Harrisburg PA sports show on the 3rd and last year there was some there for $40.00 US , I plan if there is some this year of buying a few and bring back. I don't need to make money on them , ownly break even...BT
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
New2Bow

blinds

Post by New2Bow »

Hey Adrian
I would be interested in purchasing one of the blinds if you had one to spare when you return.
I'm in ontario, just shoot me an email with what you want for one and when you receive them.
Thanks a bunch
Let the ladies make bucks
Mighty Mooser

Post by Mighty Mooser »

I thought maybe a cordless Drill and some Long screws!!!!
When you whack them you better stack them!!!
huntin1

Post by huntin1 »

I use 6" long lag screws with washers and a battery powered screw driver I bought at Walmart, The one that uses AA batteries so I can carry extras. I load the Doghouse, Buddy heater and my fishing equipment into a Mini Otter sled and I can go just about anyplace I want. I'll drive to a spot if I can, but most of the time I can't get out onto the ice with my car. (no 4x4)

The Doghouse works great for this, and for other things as well. I have 2 of them, an ealier standard model and a new TSC. When camping I use the standard model as an outhouse. I use my hand ice fishing auger with an extra set of dull blades, auger a hole a couple feet deep, I have a camp stool rigged with a toilet seat and set that over the hole, throw in a little dirt each time you finish and it keeps the smell down :shock: and I have a nice comfortable private privy. :lol:

I thought I should add that most of my camping is done primitive, and usually on private land. Make sure the landowner is OK with this, or if on public land that the regs allow for it.

huntin1
"Never corner something meaner than you"
Philip W.

Post by Philip W. »

:shock: Man, you guys are scary awesome.

I like fishing just like the next guy, but mine is done on "liquid" water. That solid stuff is too wierd.

Of course, it's currently about 70 degrees farenheit on this beautiful January day down here in south Georgia. Don't get too much opportunity for solid water.
Gerard Dick

Post by Gerard Dick »

Put 1 or 2 anchors into the ice before you set up your blind. Then, having already fastened pieces of stout cord to the corners while you were at home and warm, slip a loop over the anchor(s) as soon as the blind is set up. :) That way you don't need help holding on to your kite while you fasten it down. :shock:
we get too soon old and too late smart
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Just a few comments. Bstout you mention not to use a propane heater in the ice shack. I believe any propane heater is likely good, but.......... it must be working properly and most important, always have a window or opening in the shack or building to let fresh air in. If you do that you should be O.K. I've got an old 17 ft. camper trailer out at our property, in the late fall thy ole heater's just cranked to the max. Any internal leak in the system, and you've got yourself a widow maker!!

And besides I kinda like that idea you Ontario guys have with the cabin on the ice, hotel Hilton.

Grey Owl
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

bstout: I've also got a kerosene heater, for back up for those bone chilling nights.

Grey Owl