Finding Borax

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Grizzly-Papa

Finding Borax

Post by Grizzly-Papa »

I'm wondering if someone would know where I can purchase Borax, for example the product called "20 Mule Team" in the Ottawa or at least the Ontario area.

It is now time to pull the turkey fan out of the deep freeze and mount it on the plaque kit I purchased. The manufacturer recommends treating the flesh area with that product.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Grizzly-Papa
Life is too short to spend it indoors!
chessy

Post by chessy »

a and p carries it i also think no frills carries it ...... if i was at work i could give you all the adresses for no frills or loblaws i think off the top of my head there is one on river road
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

I think you can find it at most Grocery Stores or Sport Shops. My 15 year old Daughter got her first Gobbler this Spring and I got a kit at Cabelas to preserve it for her. It came with the powder.

BOB VANDRISH

Finding Borax

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

Look for 20 Mule Team Borax,at any grocery store.
It is a water conditioner for washing clothes.
If your mother did not use it,your grandmother did for sure!
(It is Hydrated Sodium Borate,for those "teckies")
Ching.
Bob Vandrish.
Mighty Mooser

Post by Mighty Mooser »

Found with Laundry detergent at virtually any grocery store! Has many uses. Taxidermy, Laundry, and believe it or not if you mix it 50/50 with white sugar and spread it on ant hills, it does them in as well! They go for the sugar, but end up eating the borax and croaking!
When you whack them you better stack them!!!
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Man!!! Golden Eagle, that one beautiful mount there. I've never in my life seen something like that. In Saskatchewan there are absolutely no turkeys, in fact I've never seen one in my life in the wild. That mount would sure be a show piece here. Nice one bud!! beauty.

Grey Owl
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

I've preserved a few gobbler fans using "sodium nitrate" ..oops I mean "sodium cloride", better known as table salt. :wink:
Last edited by ComfyBear on Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
BOB VANDRISH

Finding Borax

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

A small correction to Comfy Bear's last posting-Sodium nitrate is saltpeter,and sodium chloride is table salt.
The sodium nitrate is one of the ingredients used by the meat industry to pickle hams,etc.
Both will do the job,except straight salt will leave the hide very stiff,unless you process it as in making leather,where other additives are needed to make it softer.
It would also have to be stretched and flexed at the right point of drying to make the leather more supple.
Ching.
Bob Vandrish.
Tigerpaw

Post by Tigerpaw »

I found it at the shoppers drug store.
Guitarman

Powdered Borax

Post by Guitarman »

There are a few grades of Borax available. When I used to do Taxidermy a few years back, I used Borax from the grocery store, it worked fine. It was more coarse than the Taxidermy grade but it can be worked into the skin just fine. It worked fine on the Ruffed Grouse I mounted. If you want a better grade it is available from several taxidermy supply stores. There was one supplier in the west can't remember whether it was sask or alb.... But here in Ontario it can be order from a place called Knapton Studios,, not sure if he is still around but he is a master at taxidermy... he is in Northern Ontario.....not sure what town.... its been a while... funny how the mind goes...

Anyway I encourage any hunter or fisherperson to try Taxidermy, its very rewarding to see your trophy on the wall or the stand when its done...

When people ask you who mounted it, you can say I did... From the field to the table and the wall....101..LOL

I am curious now I am going to try and remember the names of some of the suppliers that I used to purchase from...i am going to do a search on the web now.. I will post what i find if others are interested...

Guitarman, Amherstview