Digital trail cams

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sparkplug

Digital trail cams

Post by sparkplug »

I'm looking at buying a digital trail cam and was wondering what info some of you can provide. The one that I'm leaning toward is the Sealth 3.1 Digital for about 560$ Can.
Hopefully some members have got some info to share before I make the plunge,
Thanks
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Nope can't help ya on that one..But digital is the way too go..mine is a 35MM and after a little trail and error got it working fine. However the cost of flim, batt., and processing makes it costly in the long run..

I'm going digital by next season, and see'em as soon as I get back home..Git It Done :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Hi5

Re: Digital trail cams

Post by Hi5 »

sparkplug wrote:I'm looking at buying a digital trail cam and was wondering what info some of you can provide. The one that I'm leaning toward is the Sealth 3.1 Digital for about 560$ Can.
Thanks
Holey Moley! The price of venison is sure expensive!!!!! :D :D
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
A.W

Post by A.W »

[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
sparkplug

Post by sparkplug »

AW, the one you posted for Cabelas is the one I was looking at. It is 399$US so convert it come close to 560 with taxes.
I didn't have the Lebarons book so didn't know what they had. I will look into them , Thanks

The price of venison has gone through the roof, especially when you go lookin for that special cut. LOL
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Hi5 wrote:
sparkplug wrote:I'm looking at buying a digital trail cam and was wondering what info some of you can provide. The one that I'm leaning toward is the Sealth 3.1 Digital for about 560$ Can.
Thanks
Holey Moley! The price of venison is sure expensive!!!!! :D :D
It's not the price of venison ya think of..It's the price of having fun and have it pay ya back in super pictures of Nature...The digital trail cam can and with me anyhows will be used for other things in nature, during off deer season. :D :twisted:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
sparkplug

Post by sparkplug »

I agree GaryL. I plan on using it year round if it will work in the -30 temp. I feed the deer in the winter as you probably saw in some off my posts but I can use it on my trap line also. It will be interesting what is out in them woods when we're not there.
Digital is the only way to go , there is so may varibiles to consider. Diffinitely want something that you can see pic in the bush so you know what the next plan is.
Hope to run into someone on here that has experience with these cameras.
A.W

Post by A.W »

sparkplug

That's an expensive piece of equipment to be leaving unattended out in the field.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
huntman

Post by huntman »

Thanks
Not sure if you are planning on putting on your own property or if there is no others allowed to be on the property but i think its a little crazy to spend that much on an item that is going to be left unatteneded! When i bought my Stealth Camera($134.99) i too was looking at a digital for the added convenice but i figured that i can buy 5 of my camera insted of one digital!!! So even if someone steals it SO WHAT! I know they come with some sort of theaft prevention but in reality if someone wants it there nothing your gonna do to stop them. The price of developing and film is not that bad. Just my two cents... Good luck
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Very True on some one may steel it... :( However they might get your tree stand, your car/truck what ever...common since plays here and all you can do is worry about it... or do your best in securing it.. It is a rough world out there :!: .. :wink: :twisted:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

When I looked into going digital a year or so ago they were not recommended for the extreme cold. If your going to use it in -30 weather double check the temperature rating. In addition, you may have trouble with the power source at that temperature. Go with gel-cell batteries they work the best and are rechargable. Just checked the canon web-site and they rate their camera's down to around zero and the power source to around the same. So when they say the battery will last three hours thats at temps. of 23C to 2C colder then that and I'm not sure how long it would last. It would be a shame to spend that kind of money and only have it work for part of the year. You may want to buy a less expensive digital trail camera for the spring summer and fall and a film trail camera for the winter.
Last edited by Shakky on Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
terry-1

camera

Post by terry-1 »

I have been using digital and 35mm trail cams for about two years now. It has help me pen point and hunt several big bucks that I never saw until the cameras got their pics and then I hunted those areas more often takeing a few of those big boys. The trail Cams are Worth every dime to me and also save me a ton of my hunting time by allowing me to hunt areas that have more pics and action in day light vs night time pics.Its like haveing a couple of friends in the woods 24rs a day telling you what they saw and when the deer where there. On the stealth cam I heard the digital models eat batt's like candy. Something you may what to look in too be buying one.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

deleted

LW
Last edited by LoneWolf on Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
sparkplug

Post by sparkplug »

I see what your talking about with leaving camera in bush. I live on 200 acres and I was going to put it at a stand I have that is roughly in the middle. In the 20 yrs we have owned the property only twice have we found someone on the property and that was in the first 5 yrs.
I hate thought of developing pictures and finding racoon or somthing . It is great to see what you may have right away and delete the garbage. You guys have me thinking to go a tad cheaper and forget the winter stuff.
Terry and Shakky , what brand are you guys using? The reason I was looking at the Stealth 3.1` was due to the pixels as most cameraas are rated 1.3 which are usually cheaper. I have heard the same on Stealth eating batteries and this is one reason I'm looking for info
Thanks for all the reponses so far, I really appreciate.
terry-1

cams

Post by terry-1 »

I am using a cheap stealth cam 35mm for higher risk of theif areas ($49) it takes god pics but has a little thing or two that does work perfect, but overall its not to bad.My favorite is the leaf river 35mm cam sells for about $199 uses the cannon owl camera I think its is the best 35mm camera out there for the money. It has 30+FT night time flash range which is as good as it gets. The PIR beam is also more of a narrower cone so you can set it about 2 ft high and miss most all of the coon pics. THE stealth cam gets alot of coon pics. I also have the digital Reconoutdoors talon IR flash cam which is very costly but very nice. I use it at my main feeder site. It scares me to leave this cam in the woods the price was so high. I bought it mainly because I was worried about the flash scareing deer from my feeder site. From two years of use now I don't beleive deer scare much if any from flash I get the same buck over and over at the feeder site's even minutes apart so flash must not be botherng them to bad.I also have the Game VU IR camera my first trail cam it sucks. It eats batt's like candy,pics are very grainy and poor clarity. It basiclly works for scouting only at close range maybe 10 ft. I did alot of cam research and after buyig the leaf river 35mm cam thats what I would buy myself. Most of the hard core Cam guys that build there own cams also say the leaf river 35mm is the best commerical built cam for the money out there. As far as digitals they are nice but I like having the prints in my hand and even have started a photo album which everyone that comes over loves to look through.